Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 1)

Doesnt look like the same character.

Different artist renditions they are all obviously Harley Who Laughs with the Spiked face. But regardless if they count they still dilute whatever is the book to own.

1 Like

Yeah, and the cover came out right before FOC so many shops/speculators may be reacting after FOC.

The only thing that complicates this are those Mattina store exclusives from an awhile back.

But for the price, outside of a 1:25 2nd print with a cover appearance, I’d go with the above advice over all other books for best ROI…and at best it’s a long term hold.

3 Likes

24 is the way to go, especially because of the 2nd print cvr. Think Thanos 15 4th print, which was a last page cameo. Also, cameos still seem more desirable for DC

What is the book to get if the first harley who laughs in the book dies, and then another harley who laughs appears in the next book that is also on an exclusive cover predating the the first harley who laughs book appearance?

IMO there are too many books for Harley who laughs. I usually stay away when that’s the case with spec. I like clear cut 1st appearances. One prior cameo is fine. But Harley 24 2nd is a no brainier considering the buy in price and potential long term. Worst case it’s a cool giveaway book to include with a future sale.

1 Like

Whichever one is in a movie.

Also the previous Metal series Robin King tells the Harley in that story she is the Harley Who Laughs.
“ The Robin King shakes Harley’s attempts at atonement to their core with the observation that there are no Dark Knights serving as villainous analogues to Harley from the Dark Multiverse for one particularly shocking reason: There is no version of her in the Dark Multiverse that wasn’t already corrupted to begin with.”
So even more MUD in the water.
https://www.cbr.com/death-metal-robin-king-harley-quinn-take-down/

1 Like

I’ve got this appearance covered though from the Horn and Mattina exclusives, the Metal book ratio, the 1:50 #24 1st print, #24 2nd print, #25 1:25 Frison. I will say this Harley’s print run has been severely dipping since issue #17 of Harley Rebirth so #24 in the following series 1st print and ratios is probably pretty low since news didn’t break before FOC.

2 Likes

I got a chance to flip through HQ #24, she actually appears on multiple panel (3-4 pages) but in a “cloak” and last page reveal as HQWL. Logically speaking, HQ #25 shouldn’t be consider as a full, at best it would be her “origin” story. This reminds me of Batman #357 where CROC hasn’t shown his face yet but it is consider his “Full appearance” given that he too was covered up with a trench coat and a hat.

2 Likes

Out of all those, which is the first cover / 1st guts?

First cover is this from 4 years ago there’s two different covers with the first depiction of HQWL for this book by Greg Horn that were sold in a 4 cover set a trade dress and 3 different virgins.

Then a different artist rendition of the character showed up on a Mattina Exclusive for Batman Who Laughs#7.
In Dark Knights Death Metal #4 Robin King tells Harley she’s the twisted version of herself in the Dark universe which was two years ago. HQ #24 is the first appearance to me all though #25 will be a origin,

3 Likes

That Batman 357 is also just a cameo of Jason Todd…but since the next books he appears in are also cameos it’s just listed as an appearance.

Yeah, the Tuesday night spoilers don’t show all the panels. Here’s all the panels.

It’s not shadows, and she’s a pivotal part of the story for the last sevaral pages. Her face just isn’t shown until the final panel. Clearly a full appearance. I’ve seen less appearance accepted as “full.”

Here are all the panels.

6 Likes

If that counts as a first full then Wolverine in Hulk 180 is a first full! I said it!

4 Likes

Bit of a difference between Wolverine who appears in one panel on the last page & HQWL who appears in multiple panels on multiple pages.

1 Like

why do people care so much, none of the other who laughs have kept any value except bwl

8 Likes

Because new Catwoman and Superman spec sucks. Harley is a hot character that more speculators care about

2 Likes

Since there is no governing body that manages the rules for classifying the descriptions of appearances, there will always be debate amongst collectors, readers and such.

This is why you should switch to the AgentPoyo Appearance Guidelines, now known as APAG. You simply got, first appearance, second appearance, third appearance, first cover appearance… Gonna keep it simple stupid using common sense. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t recall any “Hot Spec” for Harley Quinn as well. In the last 10 years, the only character that had anything for Harley was “Red Tool”. Now looking back that was also a bust. Only thing going for DC are Batman villian/characters. All new “spec” character have simply been BUST. IF possible, I be interested to learn bout any new DC character that is NOT Batman in the last 10-15 years that are spec worthy. Other than that, then its some PRETTY GIRL cover that has any heat. These “pretty” face cover remind me of buying them like buying some “Grim Fairy” cover (Not as extreme, but similar idea). Even now Batman Spec have become meh…(Look at Punchline, Miracle Molly, Clownhunter, Failsafe), simply fail… in regards to spec. Punchline has some value, but it dropped quite a bit… when you consider that HR3 was once 350-400 CGC 9.8 book.

3 Likes