Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 1)

Cause they don’t have the books to pump and dump and the ones they do have are being overlooked for this.

8 Likes

Seems silly. Sounds like they need to seek out some therapy or something…

2 Likes

i thought that was strange, the gatekeepers of comic values now?

2 Likes

For an app that should be “neutral” in the matter of all things comic book related, only providing information on “key” books, just goes to show their true motive with the application, which comes off as, manipulation in the comic book market that only benefits themselves in revenue gains.

7 Likes

I cannot find it now, but can someone post the screenshot where they were talking about the price being overly inflated?

1 Like

3 Likes

Wow, that is rich. “The short term nature of elevated values that are subject to change dramatically once the current news cools off” - isn’t that their business model? I mean KC has its uses but how disingenuous.

5 Likes

I’d also like to add 40,000 is a fairly low print run imo.

1 Like

Yeah this is a really weird take from them. They usually pump the :poop: out of issues like these. Guess they got caught with no copies and are malding.

6 Likes

Thank you. That is the one. The thing that drives me nuts is the market dictates the price. I don’t necessarily think that any newer book should go for high prices.

1 Like

Not in today’s comic book world. In comparison to the previous decades of books getting published in the hundreds of thousands, now it seems if you can squeeze out 40k-100k, that’s a pretty good publishing number. Amazing Spider-Man seemed to average around the 100k mark each issue and month, now it seems to be around the 65k-85k mark for a very popular character and flagship title. Before Diamond fell apart and they released more solid sales numbers, towards the end there would only be a handful that peaked over 100k sales each month.

1 Like

W in T actual F!?

2 Likes

I hear you, but the number of collectors has expanded in recent years and will continue to do so as streaming, the DCU and the MCU matures.

Ultimately 40,000 will be widely considered to be low print.

But they’re not expanding. The MCU and DCU have been pumping out films for over 10 years now consistently, we should see the numbers going up, not down. Also consider a lot of these titles are inflated with the multiple variants for copies. The numbers should be much smaller but marketing sucks people into buying more than a single copy of a book. Floppy comics are becoming just that, a niche collectors world as most people don’t buy them to read month to month like we use to. Most that are in it to just read are going for collected editions, trades, omnibuses and graphic novels, probably the newest generation of readers are going digital.

40k will become low when books go the way of being tucked away and not available for sale perhaps, but I don’t consider those numbers being low any longer, more like above average or slightly above average when you start crunching the median numbers for all Marvel and DC books.

3 Likes

KCC has no problem pumping any other book ever. They simply got caught with their pants down on this one.

“We have a responsibility to take into account thr short term nature of elevated prices.” That’s some crazy level BSing if I’ve ever heard it. “I did not pump and dump that book.” Or “That depends on what the definition of ‘is’ is.”

4 Likes

Also, where are you pulling this from? You got some stats? I could say the number of collectors grow or expand but also there’s a large number who are dying daily too. That statement is very vague…

1 Like

Estimated OVERALL North American Market size, including both print and digital estimates by Comichron:

Left column: ** Estimated OVERALL North American Market size, including both print and digital estimates by Comichron and ICV2.

Right column: Estimated DIGITAL sales for Comics (not counting subscription services) in North America, as calculated by ICV2

2011 $715 million $25 million
2012 $805 million $70 million
2013 $870 million $90 million
2014 $935 million $100 million
2015 $1.03 billion $90 million
2016 $1.085 billion $90 million
2017 $1.015 billion $90 million
2018 $1.095 billion $100 million
2019 $1.21 billion $90 million
2020 $1.28 billion $160 million
2021 $2.075 billion $170 million

Revenue has grown by 300% in the last 10 years.

That isn’t possible without an expanding customer base.

KCC - “We just try to be a reflection of the current market. We don’t dictate prices.”

Also KCC - “Don’t buy that for $40! We’re going to keep our price at $15 because we don’t think it should be that high.”

4 Likes

All those are estimates now. They’re not using actual numbers provided by the publishers, printers and distributors. Also overall costs are up as well, with inflation, Books aren’t $1.99 or $2.99 anymore… even DC has a crap ton of books at $5.99 and such. Notice these are Revenue, not profits.

I would take any and everything pushed out by Comic Chron with a grain of salt.

Also, when you say “collectors have expanded”… these estimated numbers from comic chron doesn’t answer that directly. You’re not taking into account readers who don’t collect, multiple variants, speculators gobbling up 2, 5, 2 dozen copies of books to sell later on secondary, inflation and these are just revenue numbers.

So again, very vague statement about collectors expanding… I would still take comic chron with a grain of salt and not rely on their numbers anymore.

1 Like

The ironic piece in all this is that in going against their typical pumping, I feel they actually got it right this time. They got it right based on 2 wrong reasons (they normally pump + they were caught short); but the outcome is likely appropriate.

I wouldn’t touch that book unless I found it in the store for $10 or less.

2 Likes