FCBD: Looking For

MCS is letting you order FCBD books online now, but not individually and on its own. You get 1 FCBD comic for free, for every $5 in purchases. I tried to add multiple copies of HOS but it didn’t work. One title per order. You may be able to do separate orders though (I didn’t try).

I couldn’t find any in a search.

You need to have at least $5.00 in your cart at MCS and start the checkout process to see the option of selecting FCBD books. The list of available FCBD books is dwindling as orders are being placed. There were close to 40 earlier and it’s now down to 24. Stray Dogs is gone.

1 Like

I did the very same thing. You get one FCBD choice for every $5 you spend.

This year’s FCBD feels different. Maybe it has just been too long, but I don’t remember free titles at online retailers going out of stock this fast. MCS, Graham, Westfield are all running out of the big titles already. Midtown’s Monday sale is going to be the saving grace for those who missed out this weekend.

1 Like

Many factors come into play:

• how many copies were available online
  • lots of hot books on people’s radar
  • more people buying books online than visiting a lcs
2 Likes

My province is doing quite well with the virus, ATM. Our largest city with a population of 6+ million had 129 new cases reported yesterday. Having said that, we are fully opened now, more or less, and the cases have taken an upturn this week. But, we are close to reaching herd immunity as over 80% of our national population has had at least one shot, while we are at over 66% fully vaccinated.

Making the trip to a few LCS. Wish me luck.

1 Like

All 3 of mine had no HOS or Stray Dogs. I dont know whether they were all taken or being held back to sell.

I dunno. This delta variant seems to be a wake-up call about how fast a virus can mutate to become more resilient and survive. It’s what they do. And its just on delta. Lambda May be next.

What doesn’t kill you mutates to something stronger and tries again. Rinse and repeat.

And before I get poked at by PoyoCop :kissing_heart: for trying to steer this thread off course, let me pivot it back and say I was very pleased to see the number of parents and kids in the crammed comic shops i visited today, which is probably their busiest day each year, wearing masks and thinking about others. I would say about 90% compliance. Made me feel comfortable bringing my kids in as well…school starts in 2 weeks and I don’t want them to have to start the year in quarantine. Last year was rough.

4 Likes

I wholly agree with your sentiments.

I went out to the shops today, and it was quite busy here too. Masks and all that have been well respected in our culture since day one, more or less, but, I drove past the one big shop in my area as it was really busy. Probably 150 people. They had tents set up outside, but that’s just to crowded for me at this point even though I’m fully inoculated.
I did score quite nicely at one shop today. They had stacks of older, free comic books. I was able to grab some past gems for free today. :beers:

4 Likes

Glad I didn’t pre order any House of Slaughter FCBD slabs.

Picked up a copy at the LCS today and it’s got the big white rectangle on the front cover. Ugly AF.

So I visited 3 shops today. Was hoping to score 3 copies of HOS, Stray Dogs and the two Star Wars books. And brought my kids because there were 4 or 5 books I thought they’d enjoy.

First shop only had the two high republic books. No Stray Dogs. No HOS. Nothing for kids. Stickers advertising their store on all. I was limited to 2 books as well even though I had kids.

Second shop had everything, and plenty of copies. Got 1 copy of everything Unstamped, but some had color rub and spine damage (HOS). Kids were happy.

Third shop limited to 5 per patron, but had no kids books out and nothing I was looking for (no SW, no HOS, no Stray Dogs). When I asked they said they were going to rotate these books out later…and they didn’t order Stray Dogs.

So It was success for my kids, but took 3 shops, and I only for 1 (not 3) copies of the books I was hoping…so a bit disappointing for Me. And the fact only one shop had kids books out was also disappointing to see as I would say half the humans in the shops were pre-teen kids.

but how did 2 of 3 of these shops not think to order Star Dogs? We’re the orders due in before it got hot?

Little baffled on that one.

Needless to say, I guess I’m hitting up Midtown online Monday…

Hope everyone else had more success than I!

1 Like

I hit up a shop near family on vacation last week that had tons of the Boba Fett and Miles cover…been grabbing 3-4 at a time each visit…50 cents each.

Decided on my last visit a few weeks ago I was going to go for it and buy them out…probably still had 20-30…and no one seemed to be buying them but me. Of course I walk I. And all their back issues are gone. They moved them to their other larger store 30 minutes away…

I drive to that store later in the week and ask them about it. They’re all in storage.

Point being, A lot of shops bring those past FCBD/Halloween fest books out during the annual FCBD and likely my chance to grab any more has past.

I keep searching for that Dr. Aphra Halloween fest book though. It’s a ghost.

Speaking of which, as I’m typing this my CBCS submittal from late December just arrived via FedEx…and it has my Darth Vader 3 within…

3 Likes

Yeah, they gotta move those things to the back cover. If they have a dark back cover it basically sucks the ink off and smudged the white block too.

Back cover…

Front cover.

Went to 4 stores today with my girlfriend (Orlando, Florida). One store kind of backed out of it because the owner got Covid and they were understaffed…they had some books out (the mainstream books), so I assume they are going to move their festivities for another day, or they are gonna hoard the indie stuff.

The other 3 stores had LOADS of Stray Dogs and We Live and both Star Wars. They had a good amount of HoS, but most of the copies were mangled AF. I managed to get 3 pretty decent copies, and 2 mangles copies.

Zeus Comics online also did a thing where you could order bundles (a kids bundle and adults bundle) for just shipping costs, so I have one of each of those on the way.

1 Like

I didn’t get anything. I had a few things to do today besides going to a few comic shops. Usually the most people I see inside is the shop is like 3 to 6 people. Today there were over a 100. I am going out again later and will stop by later.

I volunteered my day to my LCS…he always holds large events. It is mostly for the kids. He has 10+ costume heroes for photos, mystery boxes, local artists, and face painters. I was given 3+ copies of all the major FCBD issues the night before and was able to pick thru and grab the NM copies. Also was given this snazzy FCBD Scottie Young T-Shirt to wear during today’s event…

7 Likes

Most shops near me were 2 total books per person so I didn’t bother.

My LCS was 4-5 per but if you spent $50 you’d get a set of each one they had (around 35-40 books).

Another shop did 2 books per canned good (to be donated to the local food bank).

been sick in bed all day.

still looking to track down a copy of
Street Fighter and 3 copies of each Star Wars Title. :slight_smile: