Oh That KCC…

How about no spoilers and see if they still post the updates as soon? Also don’t other people have access to the same books/spoilers you do?

To be honest I’ve seen spoilers for Venom #2 on a fb group a day before Anthony has posted it on the front page. I don’t think KC is aware of any other spec source than CHU :smiley:

When I take the screen shots they all have time stamps. To fit the size restriction of the forum I usually cut them down.

So here we go

The first photo is when I noticed they updated the post after the spoilers went up

The time stamped screen shots of when I looked at the app to see if they mentioned the first appearance. Which they hadn’t

A screen shot with day and time the post was put up as a push notification automatically updates my Twitter feed. Now I checked several times after I took the initial screen shot of the app having the old listings so it puts it at 40 minutes after I posted but again, wasn’t checking minute by minute as I was putting my kids to bed.

Does it really matter at this point? If your not happy with receiving no credit, than stop doing them on the front page of a well known comic spec site.

Move to a members plus level chat. Seems like they are definitely swiping info or they have a friend the CHU loop of information.

1 Like

Spoilers are done for the community and we don’t charge for information. The intent is not for Anthony doing the work for other paid subscription services. I think the main thing here is to point out is people are paying a subscription to service for alerts that is just waiting for sites like CHU to do the work for them.

It’s just disheartening to be honest. Give credit where credit is due, it’s not a hard concept.

16 Likes

Just playing devil’s advocate here. There are thousands of comic shops around the country that receive their comic shipments on Tuesday. I could understand the potential for the accusation if you guys posted the spoilers earlier - like on a Monday or over the previous weekend and KCC alerts followed shortly thereafter - but to think this when thousands of other people have access to this information is a major reach imo.

3 Likes

We know this but why is it almost exactly 15-30 minutes after the spoilers go up on CHU the information is then updated on Key? Coincidence? Maybe if it happened once or twice but going now on week after week… raises eyebrows when you apply “common sense”… :thinking:

2 Likes

To me it kind of does. Yes. Well known comic site. We give out free info trying to keep people informed. We source our news as well. Just pointing out that consistently they post the info within the hour of when we do.

I don’t think it’s a major reach that week after week they post within the hour of us posting. Just lazy.

Something to remember though, they are profiting off the work of other people. I still work my day job. I have to. The owner quit his job off the income Key Collector brings in. Money made in part off info other people put out. If it was a book or a song the person who clipped the song or book would be lambasted over it. But it’s just a website. Who cares. That’s the attitude people take. I am not making a living off this. I sit in my office at work today writing this. Meanwhile the $1.99 a month plus affiliate commissions they get allows them to not work and hire a full IT team. Poyo does my IT, without direct pay from me in any way. Just something to think about.

6 Likes

I have day job. I work side contract job, then I work on CHU. I have 3 jobs not counting being a parent where I’m now volunteering a boatload of time to assist in my daughters middle school basketball games running the game clock, books, helping practice drills, etc.

Somehow I still manage to walk/jog 6 miles a day with the dog, cook dinner and do life stuff. I’m just surprised I haven’t just dropped dead already as it’s constant from the time I wake up at 5:30am to the time I sit down on the couch at 9:30pm to try and zone out to a show but usually fall asleep within 5 minutes… All the while being chained to Anthony’s basement wall… :wink:

Am I asking for your sympathy? No. What is poyo’s point? I feel Anthony on the work he puts into the site. It’s disheartening to see another site or source who apparently has the actual resources to put more effort into their own site/app but instead just blatantly wait for other sites to post updates to post themselves without giving credit, while charging you and also doing affiliate links as well to pay the costs associated. We get that aspect of running a busy comic book spec site but week after week, with them updating within minutes to an hour right after spoilers go up is just too much of a coincidence at this point.

9 Likes

When I apply “common sense” to this I recognize that thousands of people get their shipments on the same day you post them and they need time - just like you do - to read them and post the information.

As I said earlier, if you guys were posting the spoilers days earlier when much less people have access to the information and KCC updates came quickly after that then I could see the cause for the concern.

Anthony, I think you’re a great guy. So please don’t read this with an adversarial tone.

Isn’t it rich that you’re complaining about KCC allegedly profiting off of your spoilers when you’re profiting off of the writers, artists and publishers who take the time to create these books?

Because of your spoilers I don’t have to buy these books to find out what happens. That is costing these artists, writers and publishers major money when you consider the amount of people who behave similarly to me.

Just let this go man. It’s petty.

1 Like

One could argue that it’s the speculators who are mostly reading the spoilers. I know a ton of readers who do not look at the spoilers. Letting people know of a new character may have just the opposite effect and cause people to buy more copies.

Also, you said I am profiting off the spoilers. Not the case. Again, still work my day job out of necessity. Any money raised off the main site and the forums go to keep the main site and forum up and running. Today is the first day of the month. Today the bills from the hosting services came in. Now, I pay for those out of money received from ads and affiliate commissions. Last month TFAW didn’t ship books so I had next to no commissions and ads pay pennies per thousands of views. I came out of pocket this month to keep the site going.

5 Likes

When that happens, I agree 100% with that. But, when they don’t, it definitely costs them sales.

But that isn’t my main point. My point is that you’re complaining about someone else ripping off your ripped off work.

I am not ripping off their work. I am not claiming their work as my own original work. There is a difference. We will have to agree to disagree on that point.

2 Likes

Actually that’s not entirely true. I’ve heard some retailers get theirs days prior. Anthony posts his on Tuesdays because a retailer gives him sneak peek access while they’re stocking the shelves but not allowed to buy to my knowledge.

I’m pretty sure not every retailer has the same time frame of sorting, fulfilling pull folders, etc. It’s literally been week after week, Key updates all the same titles from the spoilers posted here, within 15-60 minutes after they’re posted.

There’s no rip off going on? Spoilers are covered under the FAIR USE Copyright Act. In turn, it’s no different from publishers releasing preview pages for books to market them.

Ripping off would be Anthony posting the entire book to read in it’s entirety like some sites actually do.

You seriously need to come up with something other than calling it “ripping off” cause none of that is going on here.

9 Likes

Agreed.

If your spoilers are causing shops, writers, artists and publishers to lose sales and you’re profiting off of that, the end result is they make less money and you make more.

Here is the actual definition:

rip-off

• An act of exploitation.

exploitation

• The action or fact of treating someone unfairly in order to benefit from their work.

How do you profit off it? Hits to your website that is littered with ads and affiliate links. The fact that you spread the spoilers over numerous pages clearly indicates the motive is for more page views and thus more ad impressions.

How is the term rip off not accurate?

Holy crap…has this gone sideways from its original intent.

4 Likes