Can Scandals Sink Spec?

I don’t know, some of these poses are pretty similar (as well as the surrounding context) that I think he probably should credit the original. That would be the classy thing to do.

2 Likes

It’s so weird… if you’re gonna go that route, why would you still go to the trouble to copy every nuance in the wood?

Man, that book could’ve been as huge as Something is Killing the Children. Such a shame. I have a few #1s I may never unload unless an option comes out years later without Esquivel attached.

I’m no artist, at all, but perhaps Mattina is scanning the original, then using a program to break it down to the original lines, or outline, or whatever, then just fills in the ‘lines’ with his ‘new’ piece? Idk. Pure speculation, but, it is weird, and annoying, lol.

Mattina is talented enough that he doesn’t need to do this, and the fact that he STILL does is annoying. I don’t buy his work (or Suydam, or Land) because of this.

2 Likes

I guess I hadn’t considered that he might have literally reused the actual original picture’s wood and just dropped a figure over top of the other one (Punchline does look like she takes up all the space and more of the pirate). Stick a light on a Photoshop layer to hide the work you’ve done editing out the rope, cut out the other background and add yours in and you’re done.

But yeah, if you can already draw Punchline, then uh, you can draw some wood planks, or really any other corner/doorway you want. Weird and annoying, I agree!

1 Like

That same issue is my big issue with Bonds, McGwire, Rodriquez and Clemons. Although, in Mattinas case, the quicker he gets these covers done, the more he can do, and the more he can make $ from.