CGC grading, selling, pressing and ROI discussion thread

If you can get that spiderman 7 (spiderboy) at cover i guess it makes sense.
However, If youre paying raw values (25 - $30), i personally would not grade it.
9.6s fmv seem to be at around $75.
9.8s fmv around $100? I think?

Pressing (if applicable), shipping, grading fees, shipping back. Then after the sale ebay fees (13%). Then capital gains deduction (28%).
Im just not into that much work and my time for a net $20 - $25.
But thats just my opinion and what i find appropriate for me

1 Like

I’m too cheap to pay $25-30 for raws :joy: but you’re right it wouldn’t make any sense. I would only do it if I’m getting it cheap.

1 Like

Marvel books need to be pressed to have a shot at 9.8 with their paper quality. So you have to take that into account.

Waviness, non color breaking spine ticks galore best case buying marvel books off the shelf.

2 Likes

Be careful with the whitening. CGC has gotten much stricter and much better able to detect a range of whitening methods. When they do, it gets a restored label.

I know at less one independent presser that has stopped doing this (and claiming he never did).

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve been watching some videos of pressers getting busted for restored labels. Although we don’t know for sure what cgc is looking at we kind of have an idea.

They detect if there’s fading in the colors and when you soak the comic in liquids it changes the composition of the paper and it becomes brittle where you can “hear” the cover/pages cracking when you turn the pages. Again we don’t know for sure what cgc looks for, this is what some pressers have told me.

Since I’m not a professional presser where I’ll be whitening comics for customers I’m not too worried about it. I’ll mainly be doing it to make books in my personal collection look better.

3 Likes

I agree. When I press I will do a very basic cleaning (if needed). No harsh chemicals or newer methods that claim to be the latest and greatest. In all honesty the less done to the book to improve appearance the better. Usually, a solid, quick press can do wonders if done properly.

1 Like