CGC vs CBCS vs PGX

I think it’s pressing, as grading TATs are all different by tier and have their own fast pass. But I think grading tats are comparable to CGC. Will get back to you on that.

1 Like

Does anyone have a sense of the market share breakdown of the 3 grading companies?

Do you think CGC has at least 60% of the market?

I have NO scientific data, but based on what I see on eBay and used to see at cons, I think it’s higher. Like 80% or more. Would be interesting to know!

Every time the slabbing conversation comes up, I start whining about “to slab or not to slab”, and my wife just shakes her head and laughs. Also, every time we have this conversation in the forum, people start questioning the grading, regardless of company, stating that “this is wrong” or “that grade would never come from xyz company”. Why even bother? Just keep 'em floppy!

I am becoming more a fan of getting my books pressed and using Comic Skins to offer that sound protection so my babies do not get injured, and I can take them out whenever I want. I think I would only slab a book to add the same protection of the case to it to prevent irreparable damage, not to keep it at a certain opinionated grade.

1 Like

I recommend these grade your own make your own labels without paying for art. At about $8 per book

A little model glue your can seal it too

if your books have Newton Rings all you have to do is contact CGC and they will absolutely take care of it for free. Whether they were books you submitted or bought from another they will take care of it. So I don’t understand all this rage at CGC. The newton rings have to be noticeable and not something that has to be searched for.

I myself only have 3 boxes of graded books almost all cgc and have had no issues with newton rings. My only issue were two books I bought of eBay had debris inside the cases. I emailed them and they re-slabbed them for free. I didn’t pay anything including shipping either way.

What kind of debris? I was going to purchase a copy of Dime Press (very early Hellboy appearance) and noticed a hair that was running from inside the old inner sealed chamber out though the case. It was kind of funny actually but I passed. It was half sealed in and half sticking out.

A piece of fuzz or lint inside one and the other had a 6 inch piece of plastic. The plastic appeared to be what looked like the plastic they use to attach tags to clothes. I don’t think that’s what it was but it’s what it appeared to be.

Someone here told me they don’t consider newton rings a defect and you have to pay for reslabbing

Basically if they’re noticeable, draw the eye or take away from the cover they’ll fix it. Seriously send them a message, in my experience they have excellent customer service.

Every slab I’ve ever gotten from them has had newton rings to some extent. I don’t know what qualifies as “noticeable” But it doesn’t take much searching.

If that’s what they’re doing now I guess everyone should start emailing them and sending all their books back repeatedly on CGC’s dime until the effect is non-existent …maybe then they would fix it with a redesign Of the slab like CBCS has done. Why don’t they just fix it!!

1 Like

the last time i asked cgc about newton rings, they stated you can submit to be reslab but there are no guarantees the book will not have netwon rings and you also have to pay for the reslabbing.

I think they’ve fixed the problem from what I’ve read on the forums at CGC. I’ve read about several people having issues in the past and they’ve reslabbed them for free. Idk if anyone’s submitted any books recently and had any issues with newton rings? I’ve seen people getting books back and posting them at the various forums but I’ve heard nothing about any first hand experience recently.

All I know is what I’ve read over at CGC and my own experience with them fixing the two books that I bought off eBay. They weren’t books that I submitted and I was surprised when they took care of them absolutely free. I probably posted about it in the CGC pickups thread here as well.

1 Like

I prefer CBCS all the way. CGC is great to, but I see no reason to pay extra for a product that is no better. Same goes for buying already slabbed comics. I would not pay more just because it says CGC on it.

I don’t think they’re that much more. As long as you buy a years membership for $150…you get $150 credit towards services and the cost compared to CBCS is very comparable.

I just found my notes from last December when I was trying to decide who to go with…CBCS had a 15% off promotion and it tipped the scales. Plus I had a bunch of newsstands and CGC doesn’t note the difference between direct and newsstand unless it’s a Canadian Price Variant.

1 Like

Ya, it’s not a huge difference, but CBCS has some pretty good monthly specials as well. What tips the scales for me are things like verified signatures and how easy it is to get graders notes. I send in a lot of comics for slabs (usually in increments of 25) I would say almost all of my submissions have had a signature that was not witnessed. CGC would be a lot more attractive if they had this feature as well.

Here’s prices for moderns, including shipping:

(Qty) cbcs / CGC

(1) $39 / $37
(2) $56 / $57
(3) $76 / $77
(4) $92 / $97
(5) $108 / $117
(6) $132 / $137
(7) $148 / $157
(8) $164 / $177
(9) $170 / $197
(10) $186 / $217
(11) $214 / $237

Pressing and fast tracks look to be comparable. TATs are about the same.

You can save $2 per book and shave off a few weeks going with an outside presser (e.g. CFP Comics) as well.

CBCS Reholders are $10. CGC reholders are $15.

Let’s put PGX in there $13 a modern no matter what it’s worth make it express for $6 more

Just playing around with some PGX numbers…

(1) $39 / $37 / $28
(2) $56 / $57 / $47
(3) $76 / $77 / $60
(4) $92 / $97 / $79
(5) $108 / $117 / $92
(6) $132 / $137 / $106
(7) $148 / $157 / $124
(8) $164 / $177 / $138
(9) $170 / $197 / $151
(10) $186 / $217 / $165
(11) $214 / $237 $179

Pressing & fast track look comparable.

For the savings of $2-$3 per book and the likely 10-20% or more reduction in value when in a PGX slab, I’ll go with CBCS…and using an outside presser get the coat and possible TAT equivalent to PGX as well.

But that’s me. And that’s only talking books after 1978.