CGC vs CBCS vs PGX

I believe just about all 9.8s candidates for mid 80s and older books of any value are already on slabs or not leaving personal collections.

I don’t think a large number of people are going to crack out their 9.8 big guns and risk damage for a shot at a 9.9. Yes, there will be some idiots…and some will get lucky with a 9.9 here or there…but I don’t think for older books there will be enough 9.9s hitting the market to make a dent…or the ones that do make a dent will be the ASM300s and NM98 that already have a large print run and statistically will get more 9.8s than other books…those are already ridiculously over priced for what they are in 9.8 anyway.

This 9.9 prescreen is really for the most modern books. Those are the books that will get hurt the most in value.

I’ve noticed this too. I think it’s partially that people don’t know how to grade and/or trust a sellers opinion more than their own eyes. Especially for older mid grade books where the grade is more subjective. I’ve watched nice but not great mid grade books get crazy prices while knowing there’s a better book in a slab that could be had for less…kind of annoying for those of us trying to get a good deal on a raw book while idiots drive up the price.

1 Like

I’ve gotten many 9.8s this way. Nearly all the 9.8s in my collection that are my own submission. Like 90% or more of my 9.8s. Many of those off of eBay purchases. Just look very closely and ask for more/better photos.

2 Likes

I firmly believe in being honest and providing as much detail as you can when selling a book.

Having said that, I can’t stress enough the power of placing your raw books in either brank new bags with boards or better yet a mylite 2 with full backing board. (If you are selling at a show/con, etc)

As mentioned above, buying raw books is 100% the trend these days and having your product present as cleanly/sharply as possible is of paramount importance. Obviously, a skilled presser/grader/buyer should still see flaws/take a book out, etc, etc…but the vast majority don’t and just look at the shiny/purdy book and take it at face value.

On the note of a good “buy/press/submit” book/experience. I bought a Daredevil #131 listed as simply a very nice copy and it came back a 9.6. I also bought a raw ASM #252 that hit a 9.8.

5 Likes

Interesting video of a 50 comic submission all modern and 7 of the 50 are 9.9. Yikes i have NEVER received a 9.9 in my life.

CGC Floods The Market The Rise of Perfect 9 9s and Its Impact Edited (youtube.com)

2 Likes

3 Likes

More evidence here for @D-Rog that 9.9s and 10.0s are flooding the market. The comic doctor is a presser and in his latest video of getting customers submissions back, they got multiple 10.0s. We’re seeing it e everywhere now. No need to still be in denial.

2 Likes

Why not 11.0? I mean think about it. They could charge even more money if they had a category for comics that were better than perfect

2 Likes

These kind of videos are making the rounds the last day or so. Hoping that if this is the route they are going, that they do not flood the market, because our 9.8’s will for sure lose value.

2 Likes

I think you’re missing a few steps. Need to see him putting on the clown suit piece by piece with more captions.

CGC the protector of the hobby
Non members can now get your books graded
We grade invisible comics!

Btw the comic doctor video posted above is pretty funny. He was agast at the 9.9 transperancy video where the grader was waving the stack of comics around and pounding it to align the books lol

1 Like

When does “they’re a necessary evil” become just good ol’ fashioned “they’re evil”? :wink:

2 Likes

My 9.8s are pre-reholdergate, therefore they get a premium since they’re potential 9.9s :smiley:

1 Like

The problem here is people think they’re “necessary” to begin with. they’re not necessary. A paid opinion is just throwing money away and those who “have” to buy slabs are likely buying for the wrong reasons and likely over paying for books based on such opinion.

Buy the book not the slab!

2 Likes

With the down market and new 9.9s, this would be a good time for me to buy all the 9.8s that i wanted on my wishlist :japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

I’ve only seen 9.9 slabs for sale in person a handful of times. I’ve never seen a 10 in person.

It looks like that’s about to change in a hurry.

1 Like

:100: :100: :100:

1 Like

I don’t give two ■■■■■ about CGC and despise anyone who still uses them. I don’t care about cgc books selling for more, I just don’t care. They suck as graders and are an embarrassment of a company. I won’t further contribute to the decay of this hobby and support them.

3 Likes

GEEZ just saw news of the 1st 9.9 x-men giant size #1. One of One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwboVpyfseI&t=20s.

Yikes will people start recracking and resubmit for grading.

5 Likes

I’m starting to feel like I’m now the moderate in my contempt for CGC business practice and competencies. :rofl:

I’m liking all this! LOL

2 Likes

IMG_1592

4 Likes