CGC vs CBCS vs PGX

If a newcomer is going to join the fray, it’s going to have to come from a source that already has experience and trust with in grading “similar” collectible (e.g. PSA). But with the obvious slowing down in people sending in books overall, I don’t see it happening for a while…could be a slow gradual process slithering their way into the mix.

Yes this is the only thing that is I feel is the roadblock to all this coming to fruition. PSA could decide there isn’t enough money in grading comics to throw their names into the hat. Them acquiring the Vault do point out that they have plans for it. It could be for other memorabilia or sneakers and stuff like that where they think they can make more money.
I’m not too excited yet until I hear some news that they’re actually doing it (comics). Right now I’m just hopeful because CGC needs some real competition to get their act together. It’ll be the best for the community.

That’s ■■■■■■■ laughable. CGC doesn’t have a clue on how to grade books. They’re being paid to grade a book accurately. You can’t do that by looking at the cover of the book. They also grade older books differently (much more lenient). They also don’t follow the grading definitions used by Overstreet. I can keep going but it’s pointless.

Still waiting for the day that someone jumps into the arena with an objective, mechanical, and/or AI methodology of grading instead of this horse sh*t subjectivity from some individual who’s eyes are falling out from doing it all day; every day.
Now that I will buy into

2 Likes

Make no mistake, the grading companies are scrambling to be the first to introduce AI grading as we speak, lots of testing being done behind the scenes. Doing it not because it would be great for the hobby like you mentioned but so they don’t have to pay employees to grade.

1 Like

That grading/screening tech has been rumored for about a decade now. I’m not at all sure where it is at the moment, but I have my doubts about the usefulness of current AI.

2 Likes

Yea… if it ever happens, it will likely be some combo of A.I. that is overseen by humans.
We’ve seen what AI alone can be :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Check out tag grading.

Very technical, I like it. Looks like a GEM 10 is down to the detail. No fuzzy reasoning/logic or how I feel this morning. Still, I don’t know bout their QA or Grading Period. A big hurt for me at CGC.

That’s because they use their own system. I don’t think it’s stated anywhere they follow overstreet in any way.

CGC definitely has its own system and does not align itself with Overstreet.

Correct, they don’t use the Overstreet standards. That’s only a 54 year old known and well established standard.
They utilize a modified system developed by Louis Braille a little under 200 years ago. 200 is better than 54 because it’s a higher number

3 Likes

If they or even CBCS used overstreet trying to get a 9.8s would be like getting a 10.0.

Here’a what NM+ (9.6) is per overstreet:

• Nearly perfect with a minor additional virtue or virtues that raise it from Near Mint.
  • The overall look is “as if it was just purchased and read once or twice.” (Here’s where @agentpoyo gets his “never been read” crap).
  • Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed.
  • No bindery tears are allowed, although on Golden Age books bindery tears of up to 1/8” have been noted.
  • Well centered and firmly secured to interior pages.
  • One corner may be almost imperceptibly blunted, but still almost sharp and cut square.
  • Almost imperceptible indentations are permissible
  • no creases, bends, or color break.
  • No staple tears, stress lines, or rust migration.
  • No hint of acidity in the odor of the newsprint.

We all have seen these in 9.8s across the board. Usually
One or two of the above. You can’t have a book over 40 years old these days without acidity odor of the newsprint regardless…unless you’ve either stored it in a vacuum or performed some type of restoration.

What does “almost imperceptible” even mean? I see it as invisible to the naked eye/needing a loupe to see it. What else could it be?

If grading companies went by this standards they’d go out of business. 9.8s would be as rare as 10.0s. And 10.0s would be unicorns.

1 Like

:joy: :joy:

1 Like

This is creepy and should be removed from Overstreet standard.
I don’t need a grader’s nose planted in the middle of my book.
Even Louis Braille didn’t do that

1 Like

CGC graders be like…

IMG_1938

1 Like

I don’t know why but I find videos of people ranting on CGC and cbcs therapeutic and entertaining. :joy: Do not watch it you’re triggered by ranting. It’s essentially 11 minutes of Dave ranting.

Cliffs notes:

CBCS fired Loose Larry
CGC sent Dave’s submission to the wrong address.

2 Likes

Im the same way. Provided its legit. And it usually is legit with Dave. How he feels is often how i feel but no one sees me :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ugh. What a nightmare for both situations. If CBCS made the grading error (and having an improperly trained employee counts) they should pay the difference in FMV for the transaction. In Fact, they should be recalling every slab graded by that person if they are claiming hey used someone’s who’s expertise was suspect. If true, that’s terrible.

But from a 9.9 to a 9.6…that’s pretty big…so the owner should have looked over the book when they acquired it. Always look over your books.

I have several cbcs books I’d like to send in for upgrades to the new slabs…like high grade expensive books….I was in no hurt to do so….now likely less of a hurry.

As for the CGC problem…once it’s delivered to the wrong address you’re not getting your books. Ugh…just more reasons why I am shifting my preference to free and floppy going forward…

1 Like

Here’s my big question:
Is re-grading an absolute activity that will occur each and every time a reholder gets submitted; OR is it a situation where IF the re-holder individual happens to see a book doesn’t fit the grade that it will be regraded?
I can’t get my pulse around whether or not a true re-grade happens for every re-holder or it doesn’t? (and I ask this for both company policies). They don’t publish this information that I’m aware of and I think that bothers me more than anything. It’s like this secret little thing that goes on that only forum members get a whiff of

How do we define “read”, is it opening the book and turning and looking at all the pages? They do that when they grade books (or should be looking at the entire book) so therefore all graded comics are now “read” and can never be classified as “unread”… Keep your precious comics raw and unread! :wink: