CGC vs CBCS vs PGX

Your suspicion is likely correct. Been watching a few videos talking about how Blackstone’s business model is to acquire companies on the rise, suck them dry and then sell them off later for a profit. They acquired CGC during the pandemic when everything was booming. People were at home with nothing to do and would send in books to get graded as everything was skyrocketing in price. Now that life is back to normal and prices has tanked, people aren’t sending books to be graded as much as before.

2 Likes

To be fair, last time you saw me I was like 60lbs heavier… so maybe… just maybe… I might be a 4.75 now… :wink:

1 Like

TV Guide?

1 Like

I have some tv guides I would like graded.

IMG_2353

You just reminded me - there is an Organic Gardening issue with an homage to Fantastic Four #1 I have 2 copies of. I need to look to see if either is submittable!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now I have to look for this is stacks of magazines at flea markets/thrift stores…/

5 Likes

That’s the one

Swagglehaus said on his latest video that he has an upcoming show with Matt Nelson as a guest for an interview talking about the 9.9s and other topics. Get your popcorn ready.

1 Like

it’d be nice to open up questions to the “studio audience”.

My questions would be far far far more pointed and direct than his likely will be. And I don’t stop after 1 bullcrap, generic response

1 Like

Pretty sure Matt is there to promote their next promotion, grading longboxes and backing boards :grin:

1 Like

The comments are fun.

Do you guys remember the Peanuts cartoon, when the parents were speaking and all that came out of their mouths were a bunch of garbled junk. That’s what Matt Nelson is to me now every time he speaks.

3 Likes

CGC’s latest will be them slabbing and grading existing slabs. Now you’re slab can get it’s own grade, doubling the protection of your prized slab with label with it’s very own slab and label indicating how precious your graded CGC comics are…

1 Like

Someone renamed Matt as Voldemort. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Was drinking and almost spit out my iced tea. That’s so unfair… lol

There’s alot of upset people in the comments.
I have no idea why.
No idea at all.
None… at… all?

2 Likes

5 Likes

This is interesting. What would be interesting is how many of these are “new release” books, and heavy stock which have a much higher shot at 9.9.

Would have to think a lot of those have little value at a 9.8, so not as many being submitted prior to the 9.9 prescreen. But now there’s that carrot :carrot: dealers are sending in batches of new books for prescreen out of the box.

So it’s kind of a little column A (CGC looking specifically for 9.9s) and a little from column B (significant increase in new releases being sent it before hitting the shelf).

Also, it would be interesting to know what the “reject rate” is, because I have a feeling CGC is making a killing on just the prescreen $$$ alone. They can look at 100 books in mere seconds…and if they reject 90% of them that’s what, $900 without any addition work other than shipping them back.

2 Likes

2024-06-01 09_39_06-Window

3 Likes

Did you hear about the 25 book Wolverine 1 (Miller / Claremont) submission? Multiple 9.9s and a 10.0.

3 Likes