Comic Heat Press

I was talking about the 12x10 swing away. I have used the 15x15 as well, but I prefer the swing one.

No problem, I am happy to help. Most of the people with the knowledge of pressing seem to treat everything as a trade secret, but I think it is a very gratifying skill that should be shared.

2 Likes

Great, thanks for the input! I just ordered one.

Im thinking its cause they make large amounts of $ off it. Iā€™m not interested in making $ as I am saving myself $. Being serious about this hobby why pay someone when ultimately you can learn yourself with just a few hundred bucks spent.

1 Like

If everyone started doing it themselves then theyā€™d lose money.

3 Likes

Here are the most comprehensive reviews that I read so far.

1 Like

Agreedā€¦ Kaptian Myke has a great guide and I reference it often.

This is my setup:
5 in 1 Heat Press Machine 12"x15"
I made an offer of $135, they accepted. The unit that I received had red pads instead of blue, so I got them to knock another 15% off. It works great. Iā€™m able to press two comics (of same thickness) at once if needed. It also works great on magazines, and of course T-Shirts! Iā€™m very glad that I went with a swing away top plate.
(2) steel or aluminum plates. I found 12"x18" plates at Lowes. Grab an assorted pack of wet or dry sandpaper and sand the plates to make sure they are nice and smooth.
11"x17" 100lb cardstock Use between book(s) and steel plate
8.5"x11" 110lb index Use under front and back cover, and also above and below digital code.
Note: cardstock and index paper weights are not the same. 110lb index is similar to 80lb cardstock.
15" Parchment Paper Can find this at your local grocery store.
PTFE Teflon Sheets I use these because I purchased them, but Iā€™m not sold on their necessity.

Typical press sandwich:
Press top plate
Teflon sheet
Steel plate
100lb Cardstock
Parchment paper
front cover
Parchement paper
110lb Index (if needed for front cover support / spine issues)
book pages
Silver age backer board at staples. Push it up to the staples, not over or under them.
book pages
110lb Index (if digital code)
page with digital code
110lb Index (if digital code)
pages
110lb Index (if needed for rear cover support / spine issues)
Parchment paper
rear cover
Parchment paper
100lb Cardstock
Steel plate
Teflon Sheet
Press floor

4 Likes

Where would I look for the steel plates what part of Loweā€™s or maybe some on amazon?

Sheet metal is another way of likely describing it. They might have bigger sheets that you can have them cut to size you need.

@ecliptic mentioned 12" x 18" so it might be these I found online:

Wow, the price of steel has gone up. In my area, both Lowes and Home Depot carry sheet metal in various sizes and thicknesses. I went with the 16 Gauge thickness. The 22 was too thin, and the 1/8" thick was too pricey. This is what I have:

I recommend going to the store and cherry picking a few nice pieces. You want one clean side on each sheet. Find ones without scratches or bent edges.

Also if youā€™re looking for a press, consider one that has springs on the top plate. The springs make the pressure easier to setā€¦ you get a ā€œfeelā€ if itā€™s too much or not enough.

1 Like