eBay Headaches

1 Like

To be honest in my first message I did apologize before asking if they had shipped comics before. So perhaps I started off on the wrong foot but I think itā€™s still a valid question. I didnā€™t realize until afterwards I had bought from this same person previously. I wouldnā€™t be comfortable giving the sellers name unless I posted all the messages we had back and forth so you had the complete exchange and not just my side. Iā€™d still rather not do that. Just check sellers feedback before buying.

Yes, Iā€™ve been around the Block a few times and I am aware ā€¦ however, even if Insurance was purchased on a Media Mail package, USPS will never pay a claim no matter how well itā€™s packed ā€¦ Comics do not qualify for Media Mail and the minute USPS examines the package and the contents, any claim will be denied tout suite ā€¦

And, yes, Mr Poyo, the responsibility to make sure a package arrives intact and contents as advertised is the Sellers ā€¦ because, Guido, anywhere along the line, can mangle a package ā€¦ thatā€™s just the way it is ā€¦ as evidenced by your Column ā€œThings I Like and Dislike for the Week of November 27th, 2019ā€ ā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah, unless things have changed comics sent thought media are subject to be returned to the shipper if inspected due to not following post office policy. The thing that gets me is Ebay has media as an option for shipping when setting up a comic book sale. I wonder if this is an oversight or they just throw everything out there and basically donā€™t care either way. Unless Ebay has a deal with the USPS media mail should not be an option when setting up a comic book auction of sale.

I canā€™t speak for anyone but myself, however, if I list anything and select Media Mail, a pop up appears that outlines the qualifications ā€¦

Now, an Omnibus / GN / TP generally does qualify for Media, since there are, in most cases, no ads and the material is considered a Book ā€¦

1 Like

I offer media mail and flat rate (usually first class doesnā€™t cut it cause I use extra cardboard so itā€™s either 16oz or more), almost everyone still chooses media mail to save a few bucks.

Yup, humans tend to focus on the negative dramaā€¦

Iā€™ll give some credit to TFAW in my recent case, they handled it well and just took care of the problem like most should. If he told me to just ā€œtake it up with USPSā€ it would had been a hate on both USPS and TFAWā€¦ :wink:

Donā€™t ship Media mail to Hawaii or Alaska good chance the buyer will get the book and the refund. Sending media mail from Alaska and Hawaii donā€™t have any delay but when you send the media mail to those states it takes anywhere from 3 days to 3 months.

Itā€™s because you people in Hawaii live in paradise and canā€™t be bothered by checking your mail all the timeā€¦ Iā€™ve been there, I know. I wouldnā€™t even collect comicsā€¦ Iā€™d just sit on the beach with my drink in hand and a cigar, enjoying lifeā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

Hereā€™s a example of someone whose tryingā€¦but not thinkingā€¦

This was for a single comic. To his credit he got it under 12 oz. but the comic had only its flimsy backing board to protect it from being jostled around inside this box. Being wrapped in bubble wrap and tissue paper is not a good idea generallyā€¦I would rather have a few extra pieces of cardboard.

Comic arrived without any obvious damageā€¦although there were a couple very small spine crease I did not see in the photos that could have appearedā€¦still NM shape.

Since the seller was an ass and then proceeded to leave false positive inaccurate feedback the sellers bladesofsteel79. That was the seller of the Dr Strange comics that was the most recent I posted about. I also had mentioned the one where the seller said that since the book was worthless, how I described it in my initial message, to destroy it and take pics for a refund. They wouldnā€™t pay return shipping for a poorly packaged and damaged book. They also left a false positive feedback that was complete lies. Stated the book wasnā€™t damaged and I was difficult. You could see it was going to be damaged so I took pics as I opened it. Exactly where the flimsy & flat cardboard was bent So was the board and book. That seller is havokruckus5. Iā€™m more than happy to share any messages or pics of damage as well. I didnā€™t want to name them but leaving false positive feedback that were lies was the final straw.

Based on this description of requirements, comics from Marvel and DC are really the only ones who donā€™t qualify for Media Mail. Most independent/small press books donā€™t contain ads other than announcements for other books. At least thatā€™s the way I interpret these rules.

Has anyone ever been denied a claim/rate for comic books that donā€™t contain ads for things other than books?

I personally just donā€™t want the usps to inspect the packageā€¦whether they qualify or not.

I never had a problem shipping media mail, I realized Iā€™m playing roulette with every shipmentā€¦and i take personally accountability for my packages to arrive safely to the buyerā€¦so I chose not to ship them that way anymore.

I donā€™t understand the advertisement ruleā€¦I think itā€™s misplaced and over simplified when associated with comic booksā€¦especially when you consider most ads are expired or obsolete a few months after the book is released.

But I know arguing over applicability and interpretation with the usps after the fact is futileā€¦they donā€™t care.

Iā€™ve never had a package inspected by USPS, sending or receiving. They seem to have barely enough time just getting it at itā€™s destination on time. Iā€™d imagine itā€™s only the obvious packages they might inspectā€¦ you know, something shipped media mail but it sounds like thereā€™s something breakable in itā€¦

I think the point is, any Media Mail is subject to inspection ā€¦ and, if it does not qualify by USPS rules, any claim will be denied, so there is really no point in even insuring ā€¦

Now, if youā€™re shipping a book that you sold for $10 bucks, maybe itā€™s worth it to save a shekel or two and just role the dice / take the risk ā€¦ however, a book of any value, IMO, should ship Flat Rate Large Envelope which automatically gets you insurance, a free mailing package ā€¦ personally, I never ship comics Media ā€¦ at the minimum I go with First Class and if itā€™s a $40+ value, I go with Flat Rate Priority ā€¦

1 Like

I have never had a problem shipping media mail but find myself using is less and less. I would rather the package get there sooner as opposed to sitting in the USPS mail bins being thrown around any longer than it needs. I will say I still use media sometimes but any book worth $20 or more I wonā€™t send that way. I have never had a book inspected and I think it is pretty rare. The post office these days (at least around me) doesnā€™t seem to be run very well and I donā€™t think they have the personnel to waste on opening packages to see if the contents have ads. Just my opinion though.

Iā€™ve never had one inspected to my knowledge eitherā€¦buying or selling. But again for charging a $1 more it wasnā€™t worth the risk anymoreā€¦and from the chat boards Iā€™ve been on there are those who will not even look at auctions that use media mailā€¦so I felt like I might be limiting my potential customer base as wellā€¦so I switched and with the exception for very cheap reader comics with ā€œfree shippingā€ I havenā€™t looked back.

I can get single comics down to 12oz shipped robustly packaged which is about $4 ebay shipping after discountā€¦compared to $2.75 media mail. I charge the buyer $1 more than I used to ($4.49 vs. $3.49).