Heritage Auctions in Graded Video Game Scandal

You ever notice on Pawn Stars they never buy any retro video games that come into the shop. They always say something to the tune of while graded video games are hot it’s too much risk to buy them for large sums and find a buyer who will actually give you a profit. But that WATA owner is on almost every episode of Pawn Stars with some new guy trying to sell his freshly WATA graded video game for whatever crazy price the WATA owner estimates. It’s almost like it’s a WATA commercial that Pawn Stars agrees to put up with fully knowing they will never buy these graded retro video games.

3 Likes

There better be a “promotional consideration provided by” disclosure in the credits.

FCC going to be mad.

Pawn stars is fake. Same with Comic Book Men and others. My cousin was approached at a convention to sell some retro toys to them. They agree to a price before they go on and they are appraised in advance. From there they come on the show and act like it’s totally new information. My cousin declined as the offer they made him was a complete lowball offer. He sells action figures for a living, owns a toy store, and sells at conventions. He was approached for both Pawn Stars and for Comic Book Men (back in the day) and ended up declining both.

3 Likes

Yeah, the stars of Pawn Stars don’t even run the shop daily anymore. They only show up to do the show bits that are yes, screened well in advance. All the shoppers are staged during the show as the shop is closed when they’re shooting.

You have to be approved ahead of time to get on the show with your item.

I still love the show. It’s just dumb fun.

1 Like