Huge News! PSA to Offer Comic Book Grading

If you’re a masochist like me and find this stuff fascinating here is the latest interview with Elizabeth Gruene the head honcho (possibly be the same woman that gave a bad impression to Steve Borrock) talking about PSA entering the comic book market. It’s about an hour long but I’ll do cliffs so you don’t have to watch the whole thing unless if you’re a masochist.

Cliffys:

-PSA took in a lot of feedback by everyone during SDCC etc and the 2 major discussion points were the labels and the size/weight of the cases

-They are looking to make the fonts bigger, will keep the red border branding but are continuing to tweak the label design

-Will not have different color labels like Yellow, Green, Blue etc. Notation like restoration, signatures etc will be displayed on the label

-There will be an industry standard size and weight like the CGC cases at launch while also keeping the heavier and larger cases that people saw at SDCC. Dealers were not happy with the heavier cases that didn’t fit in their longboxes and didn’t want to lug these heavier cases around. Fans loved the more premium feel of the heavier cases. Both will be available at launch

-Will keep the grading scale to the industry standard of decimal points however will be more transparent on what the book’s actual grade will be. If a book is a 10.0 it will be a 10.0 and not labeled a 9.8 “just because”

-Looking to expand their business internationally as there are lots of markets that are untapped

-Lots of talk about the PSA vault and the benefits for collectors

4 Likes

I like the whole, if it is a 10 it gets a 10 and not a 9.8 “just because” remark. I wonder how many collectors over the years sent in a perfect comic to CGC just to have it graded 9.8 “just because”.

1 Like

this is good news for the grading market.
but sadly it’s the grading market itself that’s bad for the hobby and always will be.

1 Like

The irony is now it appears CGC is handing out more 10s than ever “just because” [to justify people paying pre-screen fees].

1 Like

I eagerly await 11s.

2 Likes

I am holding out for 13 1/4’s

Yeah! With a Spinal Tap Label!

1 Like

Imagine something even crazier and more zany than delivering 10s, 11’s, and 14’s.
Imagine something you can’t even believe with your own eyes.
Imagine
Imagine
Imagine books in a slab without being damaged by them, or swapped out by someone, AND consistently & accurately graded!!!
Can we dream?

4 Likes

Crazy talk.

1 Like

You stop that RIGHT NOW! :joy:

We will continue to let CGC get away with substandard services since they are the market leader in slab RE-SALE value. Thank goodness they have the ‘better’ label. :rofl:

I have never sent a comic in for grading and probably still won’t. However, as someone who frequents the CGC Forum, they get away with a lot of sh*t that takes them forever to correct. Then they mess something else up. Unfortunately, CBCS couldn’t get it right, maybe PSA can.

3 Likes