Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 1)

DC needs to get its act together with its film universe and where they want it to go. Having the Rock on board will definitely bring excitement to his movies but they need to have a big bad to go after with multiple phases and film properties intertwined like the MCU. Darkseid or Brainiac would be good choices for something grand like that. Hopefully they do something with Mister Miracle as well. A lot of potential with DC , it just needs to be used. We’ll see.

Marvel is also constantly crapping out new characters or rebooting identities and frankly a lot of these characters also don’t amount to much, but cause the MCU is so popular and really good people attach these new characters the MCU when realistically it probably won’t happen or at least not for a long while. The MCU side and marvel comics are two different entities and I think there’s a lot more communication than there probably is. Kevin feige on paper is also in charge of marvel comics but the guy is juggling a million different mcu projects so I really doubt he has much time or even really does any work on the comics side

1 Like

The Snyder Cut was bad. Way too long, still awful takes on the characters. Until DC has someone coordinating all of their movie and TV properties and hires good people to write them, they will be way behind Marvel.

1 Like

DC has one decent WW movie, and a couple of James Gunn projects that were good. Doom Patrol is good and that moved the needle exactly zero.

DC’s comics are a mess right now also.

Shazam was good. Suicide Squad and the incredible long named Harley Quinn movie wasn’t bad. Same with Peace Maker. When they don’t go too dark they are good.

1 Like

They rereleased Justice League Snyder Cut in Grey to be extra dark.

2 Likes

Looks like copies of FF #41 Sway Black History variant are drying up. Midtown already down to 1 per customer. eBay already double cover.

Can’t blame them with the Moon Girl series coming. It’s pretty sweet. Wish I had ordered more, but I don’t think art was available pre-FOC

1 Like

When observed closely, DC fails to produce any kind of “flavor”/genre beside dark and gloomy AKA Batman. One can argue WW 1984 was MEH.

The only light hearted movie was Shazaam which is more inline with MARVEL. Point is not much genre and no connectivity between movies ( or done well connectivity)

Also it doesn’t help your fund manager (WB to Discovery) keep changing and the writing team of DC mostly has been replaced with comic noobs (no more comic writer vet/proven vet)

Doesn’t help they have no competent platform guy in charge (Kevin Ferge) running the show. Mostly exec seems to be counting their pay check.

MoS is an origin film.
BvS is an action/thriller film.
WW is an action/period film.
Aquaman is an action/adventure film.
SHAZAM! is a family/Christmas film.
SS/TSS/JL is an ensemble/action film.

I can also say that all of Marvel movies are in line with a lot of movies in Hollywood before MCU was a thing. :yawning_face:

I really enjoyed Aquaman the movie, and also the current Aquaman (er… Aquamen) comics (the two minis on Jackson and Black Manta, and the FS: Aquaman were all good). The new series is off to an alright start, but it’s only one issue in. Thankfully, the creative team just did the good minis so it’s got that.

I also basically would cut my pull down to just Aquaman if I had to conserve funds, so ymmv.

1 Like

It is a nice cover and will probably be hot, but it is not a Sway cover. The cover artist is Ernanda Souza.

1 Like

I liked, “Shazam,” a lot.

2 Likes

@Torgo I went to a local comic book shop that I have not been to in a while. They do not sell DC comics anymore.

2 Likes

HRA 1, then a virgin ComicsPro of the same art.

Indie comics are like the penny stocks of comics. Tons of upside hidden in a sea of risk.

Lots of experimentation going on, but sometimes it feels like the recipe is only being tweaked ever so slightly, switching one ingredient out.

3 Likes

Anyone looking forward to miles as cap should read miles 35.

We have plenty in stock. Sorry, just got back from work travel…but back in action now!

6 Likes

Added a couple to my hold box. Can’t hurt having some more

1 Like

Copies available at cover at Villain Gaming:
STAR WARS HIGH REPUBLIC ADVENTURES #1 (villaingaming.com)

Edit: Didnt notice that faele already posted this.

1 Like