Purge tips?

Don’t be sorry, that’s why we started the forums.

Well, that’s what I’m saying. I don’t send out that many orders but even if I did, cutting out the pieces I need for my customized pack job, I think I average around 4 to 5 minutes tops. I got the process nailed.

I’ll even invert USPS flat rate envelopes to use for first class or media mail. I’m still sending via USPS so they’re getting their dues from the free supplies.

1 Like

Nice! Might be worth it to just order a shit ton of large flat rate boxes and spend a few hours at the beginning of the month cutting cardboard.

That’s what I do. I’ve cut them so often, I know exactly the size from the markings on the box to cut and just eyeball it nowadays too. :slight_smile:

The use a clamping system, 1.5” away from my cut line (the clamp also acts as a rail to set the saw guard against for 100% straight cuts). The blade will cut nicely if the cardboard is secure and doesnt move. Thats were the jig comes into play. I used a brand new blade at first, and the cardboard does not seem to wear on the carbide teeth at all. :+1:

WalMarts are great places to get cardboard too. There is usually a bundle of it behind the store.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between an exacto blade and a utility blade? In my mind, they are the exact same thing…Nevermind. I thought about it some more and figured it out. But still, for cutting cardboard, utility knife :100:. A utility knife is just a beefier exacto.

1 Like

For those not aware of difference…

Exacto Knife:

Utility Knife:

I use exacto on small cuts (hobbies and crafts) that need good precision and details. I’ve had exacto blades break easy on thicker cuts. Utility knife works on just about everything else.

I prefer this style utility knife, @agentpoyo. I like the ability to extend the blade to various lengths, and when the tip gets dull, you just snap off a 1/4”, and the blade is like brand new.

Yeah, I find those retractable blades get jammed up and I end up tossing them before I even replace the blade…must be me! They feel tough so I’m tough on them…yet the exacto blade is delicate so I am delicate with it.

And I try my best to cut the boards to about the same dimensions as I end up,wrapping them in paper bags and it helps wrap the corners nice and tight. But they don’t have to be dead nuts on.

Its all good stuff. I enjoy hearing each others styles and methods. As they say, There is more than one way to skin a cat. It just boils down to personal preference. With none being any more right than the next.
What a weird conversation this has turned into. Lol. Longest thread ever, on utility knives.

That’s where my current utility knife comes in handy… it’s used for skinning cats too… :stuck_out_tongue:

I love it and I love knives. My wife says I have too many knives.

…See my loafers? They’re made of gophers. Either that, or skin my chauffeur…

I’ve collected knives since I was a kid during the Revolutionary War days … :alien: … my grandad gave me my first pocket knife and I carry a Swiss Army knife to this day … :vulcan_salute:

And that’s all you wanted to know (but we’re afraid to ask) about utility knives, Fozzie.

1 Like

None of mine are classics… I just tend to have too many. Once I misplaced 2 of mine that were in my back pack when I was going to Wizard World and put them in my glove box. I forgot I put them in there and thought I lost them. So that gave me an excuse to replace them. 2 months later I open glove box and bam, it was like Christmas all over again with gifts of blades falling out. :slight_smile:

At first I read that as you being around during the Revolutionary War… :stuck_out_tongue:

A Utility knife preferences question was exactly was going to be my original question but I wasn’t sure which category to put the question under so I went with purge tips. (which I do appreciate the first half dozen answers as well.)

Seriously, I don’t know whether to be impressed or disturbed on how much time the CHU community has spent (both individually and collectively) thinking about blades.

Yeah, well … I once shook George Washington’s hand during a Campaign Rally … his motto back then was simply “Make America” … :vulcan_salute:

1 Like