Question for any eBay experts out there

Yes.

The whole reason eBay started charging the final value fee on shipping was people charging next to nothing for the item and charging it all in shipping. I’m not a computer guy but it seems like something that could be easily flagged in several ways. It’d be nice to not to have to figure that into the shipping cost for those who charge what it costs.

Nice for you, but eBay needs to keep their costs down and revenue up. My guess is what you’re talking about is something that was considered and determined not as profitable or very complicated to implement with too much risk versus benefits gained.

But that’s just my theory and what I know about cost/benefit/risk analyses. Need to go through eBay for a real answer. We’re all just speculating…

Next question:

I’ve been contacted by a buyer to whom I mailed a package back in October. It was set to be delivered no later than November 5 but still shows as in transit on the tracking history.

Who’s responsible for contacting USPS customer service in this situation? Or, I should say, what’s more effective? Me contacting them as the sender or him as the recipient?

Who files the claim and receives an insurance payout?

Thanks for any advice.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but either of you can. I’d put it on the seller to do it as the buyer shouldn’t have to take the time & jump through hoops to file a claim.
There’s also a timeframe in which problems like that need to be addressed within so many days of purchase or delivery. If you go beyond that timeframe, which I believe is 45 days eBay & PayPal can’t intervene. I’m sure the post office has some kind of deadline before they don’t have to help either. Get on it ASAP. Otherwise you may not be covered.

Also why didn’t the buyer bring this to your attention sooner? I buy a lot on eBay and have never forgotten about a long delayed package.

If it shows any movement and perhaps is in their area, I leave it up to the buyer to open an inquiry on where the package is.

In good faith, you should tell the buyers you will open an inquiry with your own branch that the package was sent from. Ultimately it’s up to the buyer though to provide the proof the package is truly lost before any action is taken to resolve.

I believe it’s the Seller’s responsibility to follow up with USPS per their rules … it can be done on line … with eBay, if an item does not show delivered, the Buyer can open a case and they will get a refund, no doubt about it …

https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

I don’t know why he didn’t report it sooner. He ordered it October 27. I took it to my Post Office on October 28. It arrived at the Miami, FL distribution center on October 30 and the next and last line on the tracking history was November 3 saying that it was in transit to its destination.

So, it made it to Miami (from Ohio) but stalled out there. This morning I briefly looked into contacting a post office in Miami but there are so many I’d have to do some research into which one.

Also, and I’m regretting it now, I told him that the first thing he should do is file a missing item claim with eBay and they seem to have put a 3 day limit on resolving this before they step in. I’m dreading trying to deal with a post ofice in a massive city one week before Christmas.

I don’t want to be the bearer of Bad News, however ::

1. eBay will refund the Customer, period … you may as well do it yourself because it’s going to happen …
  2. The package may have actually arrived to the Customer … just because USPS did not update the tracking does not necessarily mean it was not delivered … problem is, you have no way to prove it … the Customer may have decided to just look at the tracking, saw it did not show delivery and decided to take advantage of that …
  3. It’s pointless to try and contact an individual Post Office … they do all this location stuff on line these days … including Insurance Claims … and, the chance of them running it down at this point is slim to none and Slim just left town …

Hopefully, you had insurance and did not ship Media Mail … why … ?? Because the USPS will ask for a printout of the sale page from eBay showing what it was you shipped … comics don’t qualify for Media Mail, instant Claim Denial …

1 Like

I shipped it Priority 3 Day which I’m pretty sure comes with $50 insurance. The value of the statue was $32.

The buyer says he’s contacted his post office and they are going to look for it. I just filed a “Where is my package” form on the USPS website. They sent me an email saying that they would be in touch shortly.

However, the form seemed to assume that I was the recipient. I can’t find any forms for the sender to fill out which makes me wonder how I go about filling the insurance claim.

Edit: Nevermind. I just found the link to file insurance claims on the main page.