Retailer Tips and Tricks on Successfully Running a Shop Long Term

I think the discussions that go off topic, such as this has, should go to a PM. This is not fun to read through. At all. Willies insights were nice and then things just went sour. The forum has a personal message feature, maybe we should start employing that feature more. M2c.

do You feel you have a better profit margin on this older toys then you do your comics? And do you buy from Diamond or directly from the manufacturer on the new toys? (You didn’t mention but I thought I would ask)

And I agree about breaking up the choices in the shop. Having more things to offer your customer is always key to attracting people. Do you also offer things like mugs and shirts and other stuff?

Btw, how did you do on that anime collection you were potentially looking at?

Sunday is my only day off of the week, I generally stay off the Grid that day …

I don’t carry new toys other than some higher end items from Diamond Select / Hot Toys, etc …

Traditionally, one of the roles that a Comic B&M fills is as a Buyer for folks that choose to dispose of items quickly and painlessly … some shops buy, some don’t, I’ve always bought from the get-go … I run a continuous ad on Craigs List that essentially says, “As the Oldest and Longest Lasting Comic and Collectible shop in the Local Area, don’t dump your stuff in a Garage Sale … bring me any Old Toys, Comics, D&D, Older RPG Material, Movie and TV Related Memorabilia, etc, for a Fair Cash Offer on the spot …” I include my cell phone number and encourage prospective sellers to text me a brief description as well as photos in order to assess, in advance, what my interest might be and save them a trip if I have no interest … I also regularly post the same ad on Facebook local groups, etc …

I generally do not sell t-shirts, cups or other schwag of that type … for the same reason I don’t generally offer new toys … Walmart covers that market pretty well and at prices that are close to what my Wholesale cost would be … there is just no money in it …