Spawns Universe

I dont need to learn how to draw to criticize an artist.

Same reason I dont need to know how to cook to say that a restaurant’s food tastes bad.

WE ARE CRITICAL. HUMANS ARE CRITICAL. ITS IN OUR NATURE.

Cates is like Liefeld, both are overgrown man children who cant take criticism.

4 Likes

They’re the man children? LOLOLOLOL

Here’s my take on it.

Donny Cates claims he’s not an artist. So kudos for him for drawing something halfway decent. When someone is just having fun and expanding out in their current professoin, not planning on being a full time artist, I’m not gonna shit on their work like I would for a true professional artist. This would be a different story if Cates was actually a professional artist or claimed to be one.

When I shit on a Liefeld drawing, this is a guy who’s made a living out of being an “artist” so yeah, gonna get a whole lot more criticism from me when he draws absurd covers or artwork.

And yeah, when eating at restaurant, yes, I can criticize the chef’s plate if it sucks cause I just paid what I expect to be a professional chef cooking food but I’m not a professional chef. If the wife who is not a professional cook either makes something nasty one night for dinner, gonna get a whole lot less criticism for her trying to make a meal.

Time and place people… depending on the circumstances and scenario I say.

3 Likes

I think it is unfortunate that Cates is able to use his success in comics to dabble in things he is not. There are plenty of talented artists in the world; perhaps he should have offered them an opportunity instead of continuing to promote himself.

Why does he have to be 1 thing tho? He cant write and draw? Does Todd take away from writers? I dont understand the logic behind the that. He gives artist work by writing various books. He doesnt write artist dont work, no? He did a cover that’s it. No interiors no panels. And do we feel the same from the covers done over and over by the same “hot” artists? Is Gist, Momoko, Inhyuk etc take away from other artists? You get what u work/hustle for. 1 of my friends on IG just got a variant cover for Department of Truth. Artists get their shot when they work for it. Donny didnt take food off anyones table imo.

4 Likes

I also don’t see a problem in this. I like the cover. Not the best but it’s still unique.

2 Likes

I must not be an art afficiando like you guys, cause I think Cates cover is pretty damn good! Miles better than some of the covers Marvel has been pumping out lately (remember those America Chavez made in the USA #1 covers?).

2 Likes

Matt Kindt can’t draw yet has done covers himself in the past, should he do the same by forgoing a cover? Let’s not forget, he’s also written a crap ton of books that has employed dozens upon dozens of artists?

2 Likes

Just suggesting that just because he can do a cover, doesn’t mean he should. I am referring to Cates, not other writers or artists, and I am also not critiquing his artwork. McFarlane is using Cates celebrity to sell a comic; that’s cool.

The artist (cover/inside) on a comic book is decided by the publisher, and the publisher is the ultimate decider of what gets published. Fans could probably recommend or request an artist. Fans/readers can still have an opinion though, but appreciating art is in the eye of the beholder.

1 Like

He doesn’t have to be one thing; I could care less what else he does. Why isn’t he doing the artwork for his Crossover book then and work on his skill set if that is what he wants. I don’t think Donny earned a shot at doing covers like your friend did. Yeah, I guess I do think he took food off of someone else’s table, because there are people hustling out there, to your point, and that could have been their shot. Not his.

Agreed. I think that specific cover is eh, and if Image wants to do that, it is certainly their right!

I think thats overreaching. If he pitched his art to the publisher (like other cover artists), and the publisher chose his over the others, I dont see why its his bad. If he wanted to draw this cover, and got selected, then its his effort that got him there. Now if he did something underhanded to land the cover, then I would have issues. Publishers know that cover art sells (I know I dont like some of them), and if they choose someone to do it, then its their prerogative.

Come on…pitched? He has an obvious edge because of his writing; I doubt there were hundreds of pitches even allowed. My guess is McFarlane said “Hey, wanna do a cover Donny?” To which he replied, “Rad, dude; I’m in!” Again, I agree on Image choosing whatever they want

His cover wouldnt be my choice, but if a publisher gave me an opportunity to do a cover I would love it. Granted my art sucks ! but I would still love to see my art on/in a comic.

3 Likes

But thats McFarlanes prerogative - not Cates fault !

1 Like

Draw one up; I’m sure you could work one out!

My wife would DESTROY it so that I dont sully the family name :slight_smile: I’d do it if Mcfarlane asked me to !

1 Like

Absolutely! But I would say that the Booth cover is a classic 90’s take, and I will probably grab that one…plus the McFarlane

Yeah, I’m still debating because of the larger print #, and the cost. Have to watch my spec $$, with all I’m spending on variants.