Store exclusives vs. incentive variants

You have done well riding the coat tails of Peach and Knull…I think you also were in on the Venom 25/Virus first cover.

You have an eye and skill for what will be hot…many do not have either. You also flip quick to get that immediate cash. It’s a gamble and a high stakes game (relative to open orders).

Most want the virgin cover which you have to pay for a set of books to get. Big upfront investment.

You also sell the book before you have it…which delays occur due to damaged shipments and the mail…or shops are getting them “second hand” as they teamed up with another shop and have to wait to get their allotment of copies from that company before shipping my it to you. Takes forever…buyers get impatient…may cancel on you and by the variant has dropped in sale value by half.

1 Like

@Joe…after this discussion here tonight, I’ve had a thought. Lol. I think the difference between the two may have to do with historical credibility.

Shops who have done store variants in the past have been caught doing shady stuff.
And subsequently ‘stained’ the store books’ integrity among parts of the community.

We know that the publishers, printers and distributors have no skin in the secondary market, so, their motives are not conflicts of interest. Where as, due to some stores’ shady past, and the obvious conflict in interests that result from a retailer doing their own books and print runs, the store variant has lost its integrity to parts of the community. :man_shrugging:

Here’s one I thought would heat up. Maer art, Harley and punchline squaring off. Something big gonna happen in the last issue…

But nah. Nothing. None.

I did buy it because I like the cover, and I figure Harley/punchline covers will sell…and I’ll likely keep the trade so low risk of losing money.

But I’m still waiting for comic mint hasn’t packaged it up yet…and I’ve seen emails from them about how far behind they are…I just got my strange academy #1 2nds this week and 3rd prints are coming out.

So I sit and wait and any hype (and potential for profits) wain…

They take longer to sell because you have more sellers competing against you to sell theirs. I’m a financial expert, yes TIME is part of the equation.

It’s called the the time value of money. Look it up.

And it’s a simple concept, if I can turn 6 times as much product with the same amount of money in the same amount of time I’m further ahead even though the ROI was better with the alternative.

Since when does one data point act as a good representation for any argument, much less this one?

It’s mostly lower prints runs to the trades.

I agree with you often the trades look better as that is how the art is usually designed. I know Frankies was having trouble with Peach trying to do the virgin of their Thor 6 (Thor 337 homage) and we’re struggling as the virgin didn’t look right. Smashing through the title is key to the art. So for a while they listed it as trade dress and “rare cover” as they weren’t sure if they were even doing a virgin.

Personally I like the BA 2 Momoko with the trade dress so that’s the one I bought.

I’ve learned my lesson on Harley so I could of told you, but it is a great cover it’s reason enough to have it. Yes I’ve been rolling since Venom #25 Horn all the way to Venom #27. I didn’t buy any Venom #28 store exclusives yet so not every venom book is going to be a winner got to know when to stop.

Anyone get an email from Mutant Beaver Comics about some ‘key collector spec alert’ on Venom First Host #1? Apologize in advance if this is a bad topic for the board.

Hhmmm that’s the storr variant I forget which store tho.

Comic mint

This worthy of a speculation? The theory seems really out there, but it’s possible.

I got it too. Sad Lemon also used Key Collector announcements to drive sales. It appears stores are using Key Collector as a hype machine to sell back stock of issues. Probably smart on their part, but shows a different marketing scheme for sure…

1 Like

And some of you think comics are going crazy…

https://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/10205/many-all-time-record-sales-goldin-auctions-inaugural-elite-auction-which-eclipsed-14-million?utm_source=email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter-psa-2020august25&spMailingID=68691130&spUserID=NDAwOTg4MDY1OTYwS0&spJobID=1943184069&spReportId=MTk0MzE4NDA2OQS2

Some People think it’s Tel Kar as Virus because he was a Dead Body in the sleeper symbiote.

1 Like

But that doesn’t fit with a beef with Eddie unless he’s mad he has the Venom symbiote. Nor does it explain the Goblin Glider at all.

2 Likes

Understood, but What data points do you have to compare that are not biased in some way. That’s the only one I have personal experience.

At least I’m providing stats instead of opinions.

How do the Venom #3s open orders compare to the shop variants?

Let’s compare Thanos 15 4th print to the shop variant same cover. Which Was the better ROI?

This argument is solely superficial and for entertainment without real data. It goes nowhere.

My suspicion is that if you compare all the shop variants out there the past 3 years to all the open orders and look at the trends in return on investment they’re about the same. A comic is a comic. It’s hit or miss. Shop variants just cost more to get into the game. But I’d like to see data. Not a bunch of knull and peach covers.

I wouldn’t go that far. KCC Doesn’t have the best track record. I’m shocked they are referring to them. Do they get a kick back for doing so?

If it doesn’t sell at $15 in a decent amount of time, then it is not worth $15. The price goes down because there is no demand at $15. You being a financial whatever is irrelevant, but, I shouldn’t have to explain supply and demand to an expert in finance. You can believe that it takes longer to sell open order books, but that is not true by any stretch of the imagination.

That’s what the pusher app is and does. Nick, the owner of the pusher app is on record as saying that he does send out alerts about ‘hot’ books, not because the market is buying them, but because a creator or a store has paid the pusher app to promote their book by sending out a ‘hot’ alert. It’s a complete scam with no credibility, imo.

1 Like

That’s a pretty strong statement. Could you forward me to where he is on record saying this?

Either way I’m not sure the relevancy here. This is a marvel released book, not a store exclusive. And one that came out a few years ago. I don’t think Marvel is paying Key Collector to promote a 2 year old back issue.

Additionally, this was not an alert. It was something they placed on the Spec Deck, with attribution to where the theory came from in the screen shot. Many books are added to the Spec Deck. This one was from over a week ago, not sure why Mutant Beaver is sending it out now except maybe to try to sell Venom 28s which I don’t really think it helps at all.

Key Coll has its flaws, sure. But it’s misplaced hate here.

1 Like