U.S. Marshals Auctioning Off Star Wars Kenner Gonk Droid Figures In Investment Fraud Case

@Gbess Not at all! I’ll post up pics after they arrive!

4 Likes

So just to keep going on this as I find it absolutely fascinating.

Only today did I finally hear of this auction and start seeing discussions on it in the big/main Star Wars vintage groups. This really did take many of the big time/key player collectors by surprise, but as I thought, there were other key players who knew and were keeping in quiet to limit those involved.

Funny thing is, one of the buyers specifically linked the @drunkwooky article as tipping him off so that was cool.

It was also interesting to see many of the prior owners of the items, creators of some of the artwork, creators of the unique pieces chime in about the auction and really wondering where the items ended up. An awful lot of sour grapes folks as well. It’s early on and most haven’t even seen the posts.
Some folks who sold the criminal very expensive/one of kind items and are really irritated that the items are now in the hands of people they don’t know. An awful lot of egos in the SW vintage world (and good folk too of course).

One person who won some lots lived in the area and already had their items.

3 Likes

Thats crazy…

I didn’t have any extra $ or else I would of budded on a Boba Fett figure lol.

1 Like

Wow. Glad I had some small impact on the community! I’ll have to check my referral links and see where that happened!

5 Likes

I received my items today @Gbess . Couldn’t be happier with the entire process. Outstanding communication, shipping, etc. Granted, I would have liked to have used a card or paypal over the hassle of a money order/cashier check, but at the same time, I know for a fact that it created some issues for buyers that would have easily outbid me and ended up not being able to participate. I don’t know how the bidder approval process works, but I also know of some folks who weren’t approved (and they are folks who do a ton of buying/selling big ticket items).

Regardless, here they are. I don’t know how much everyone here knows about Vintage Star Wars figures and “Card Backs”. The thing about the majority of the pieces in this auction is that they were the first card back releases. That is, it was the very first US produced card on which the figure appeared. There were some exceptions such as his Power Droids because he went for every single variation. For most collectors, the most prized piece is the 1st issue card back.
In the end I bought these for about 60% of going rate I’d calculate.

I decided on the Star Wars carded Power Droid because he is most associated with Star Wars. This is a SW20G-card with the Boba offer. I like the nostalgia of the Fett offer pieces although the ad does detract from the card art a bit. An AFA 80 is perfectly fine with me. Frankly, I just wanted these items and wasn’t super concerned with condition although they are all actually quite nice.

So with the Rebel Soldier here, he was first issued on a ESB-31B cardback. If you wanted to own every single variation of the Hoth Rebel Soldier on subsequent card backs/variations, etc you would end up having to buy and find 14 other samples. I suppose you could compare it to 14 printings of a comic book lol. The thing is, the 1st issue isn’t always the rarest or most expensive. Actually, many times it is the later issues that are actually rarer. It just really depends on the figureand varies greatly. Regardless, there will always be a huge market for the 1st card release. I personally want the figure and card that corresponds to the movie. While a “Farmboy Luke” is tough to find on a Return of the Jedi card and very expensive, it doesn’t appeal to me.

21-B came out first on a ESB-41A card–if you wanted every version of him you would need to find 11 different versions. I love the droids, this isn’t an easy piece to find, and the colors are beautiful on this piece.

At any rate, thought you all may be interested. I’ll keep the paperwork with these along with some articles and pictures I was privy to from the entire situation. I think it’s interesting history relative to the hobby. Sorry if it’s info you already know. Regards.

5 Likes

Gonk!

1 Like

Those are some nice figures you added to your collection. Thanks for all the insite info on the cardback. I didn’t know any of that. I thought it was just a figure in a card back lol. Your info helped.

I am very jelouse lol :grin:

1 Like

Great stuff. Congrats!

Here’s your second chance, people! @Devildog

2 Likes

@drunkwooky Thank you! This one will not be a secret/catch folks unaware like the last round lol!

2 Likes

All this talk about Gonk droids makes me want a gonk droid.

1 Like

Act now and you can get a box of 175…

1 Like