2021 Comics That Heated Up

A year ago, I started a post around the top spec books of the year. Super interesting to look back at those books a year later. Many faded, but a few are still trucking on.

Here’s a quick look at a few from 2021. Add books that you think are the best spec issues of 2021. The rules from last year apply here, too. No incentives and no store exclusives. Let’s keep it just the open order covers released in 2021.

A few of my top picks, in no particular order:

Future State: Wonder Woman 1
First Yara Flor. I still think this is the top spec book of the year from an open order perspective.

Future State: Teen Titans 1
First Red X (sorta)

Star Wars: High Republic Adventures 1
Bunch of firsts

Star Wars: High Republic Adventures 2
First Marchion Ro

Star Wars: High Republic Adventures 6
Several firsts

Superman: Son of Kal-El 2
First Jay Nakamura

Batman 106, 108
First Miracle Molly

America Chavez: Made in the USA 3
First Catalina Chavez

Taskmaster 3
First app Taegukgi

Detective 1034, Robin 1
First app Flatline

Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters: Jabba the Hutt 1
First Deva Lompop

Nocterra 1
First, well, all of it

Black Cat Annual 1
First Tiger Division

Moon Knight 3
First Hunter’s Moon

Deadpool: Black White and Blood 4
First Sakura-Spider

Star Wars: Bounty Hunters 14
First Deathstick

Nightwing 78
First Melinda Zucco

Nightwing 79, 81
First Heartless

We Live 5
First Palladions

KIB: Planet of the Symbiotes 3
First Bren Waters

Stray Dogs 1

Nice House on the Lake 1

Iron Man 12B
Hot cover

Joker 2
First Vengeance

Black Widow 6
First Lucy

I’m light on indies here. Radiant Black? Shadecraft? Geiger? What did I miss?

10 Likes

Radiant Black definitely gives me updated Power Rangers vibes.

Canto II Hollow Men 1 - multiple character 1st appearances - important if they expand from the original story in the animated Movie.

1 Like

best long term spec not counting HR stuff, is either the taskmaster 3 / black cat annual, or black widow 6 imo

1 Like

These are all great picks. Out of these picks, I feel the strongest long term plays in no particular order are:

We Live 5
America Chavez: Made in the USA 3
Moon Knight 3
Taskmaster 3

2 Likes

Great list! Perhaps Black Knight Curse of the Ebony Blade 1 and 5 as well for the first appearance of Jacks Chopra, and when she becomes a Black Knight?

8 Likes

That one was right on the edge of making the list for me. Probably makes sense to have it in.

1 Like

Maybe W.E.B. of Spider-man #1 depending on future of Iron Man in MCU.

3 Likes

yea, thats a good one, still under the radar for most. especially with there only being 1 cover of issue 1 that she is on, she is coming back in jan in a death of strange book

Usagi Yojimbo 20 may have long term potential, ongoing character.

7 Likes

Eve 1
Great book that hopefully makes it to screen

DC Festival Of Heroes 1
First Monkey Prince

3 Likes

I thought about Eve, but I think I’m still just so irritated at how bad that book ended up. Great, promising start, and then issue 5 hits, and it’s like they just didn’t give a damn. That can’t possibly be the ending of that story. Maybe Hollywood will make it a movie and fix that nonsense!

2 Likes

Eve #5… I’m assuming there will be much more coming. If not, then agree, meh.

No real heat yet so it might not make the list but I also have faith in HRA Monster of Temple Peak #1. I like the concept, first Ty Yorrick, no retailer incentives, no store exclusives…

4 Likes

The whole US Cap mini series will beat these books out once they make a Enter The Capverse cartoon.:joy:

3 Likes

Nottingham 1 was big for awhile there when it came out. Hype died a bit since then on subsequent printings and issues.

Daredevil 26. Not a super hot or expensive book but has the first appearance of Alice who Elektra is training and with her getting her own series as Daredevil maybe we’ll see Alice as her sidekick. Also helps that there’s only like 3 variants and a 2nd print

Great list of books! If I can only choose one book on this list, then it’s Future State: Wonder Woman #1A. Stray Dogs will always be good for the story.

I’m really curious how many of the SWHRA #1 and 2 they have left sitting at Diamond. I order 50-100 at a time and sell them pretty easily. Once they are no longer in stock, maybe will increase in price? Still showing GREEN in stock today!

I really think FS Wonder Woman is a great pick along with We Live…hope they do a good job on volume 2.

Eve disappointed me so much I don’t even want to talk about it…so much potential there…

1 Like

Thoughts on the Matt Taylor variant for Future State Wonder Woman vs cover A?

the team variant has a 10k print run, thats a big run for a cover that isnt nearly as good as cover A