2020-22 books with long-term spec

The cooling off thread reminded me that I wanted to ask the community what books they like that are a bit older now and they love for long term spec that:

a) never pumped or, b) were hot out of the gate and are now reasonable enough to buy

High republic #1 9.8 coming down to around 50$ Canadian seems like a good shout

What else do people like?

4 Likes

Iā€™m biased, but Hell Arisen 3 is seriously slept on.

4 Likes

Im biased too. I like 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. prints. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Batman is my guy, although mostly in trades
The 9.8 is still pricy though and wouldnā€™t you rather just get 655 or whatever Damien key you like?

I guess as a non collector. Would you say buying ungraded via eBay is dumb? Any tips on how to get a nice NM copy?

I grabbed a 9.8 of High Republic #1 Hans variant for $50 a month back. There have also been sales of the Swaby 1:25 variant for well below $100 recently as well in 9.8.

2 Likes

Iā€™m also eyeing a lot of ā€œnon-keysā€ but great/classic covers in Bronze/silver Age books. But with my own sales practically non-existent lately I have to be very picky/choosey.

Ya I like Batman 194. Just a cool Cover

1 Like

Good topic hereā€”thereā€™s always potential out there hiding in plain sight.

Ya and often at a discount with graded books
Iā€™m

1 Like

Itā€™s a buyerā€™s market right now. Go after your grails!

2 Likes

yea unless some big economic crash happens i think weā€™ve hit the bottom, so thing should stabilize and than start to go back up

2 Likes

Iā€™m also on the lookout for HR #1 Phase 1, got a couple copies recently

2 Likes

I snag Venom #3 1st Knulls when theyā€™re cheap. I donā€™t think they will have a new all-time high like we did.

New Agents of Atlas #1 has dipped super cheap right now and I pick those up when I see it.

4 Likes

Batman 655 is the Damien book to have, and isnā€™t really slept on with the Gunn announcement. It also trends higher than HA3. I also see Punchline fitting the long-term spec requirements of the thread. Damien is relatively around the corner.

3 Likes

I picked up Young Avengers 1 CGC 9.8 for $360 this week, itā€™s going to happen at some point and I figure I will at least triple my money on that deal.

If you can pick up Star Wars #3 CGC 9.8 for $250-$270 you are going to make some good returns when Aphra hits the screen, she will be a huge character.

$50 dollar books are really a shot in the dark. If I were going to gamble and take this approach, and itā€™s strictly for financial gain, then I would focus on either Star Wars or Spiderman books. The fanbase for these two properties are rabid.

6 Likes
  1. Iā€™m still buying the Jake Gomez Werewolf by Night books that nobody much cares about now.
    I donā€™t see any reason why we canā€™t have Jack Russel and Jake Gomez running around as Werewolves.

2. Jacks Chopra-Black Knight Curse of the Ebony Blade #5)-I love anything Black Knight related and thought this was a good character/story.

3. Lyra Bloodstone (Death of Doctor Strange: Bloodstone #1). Itā€™s also a good time to grab any Elsa books if you like her and donā€™t have them. Prices have fallen significantly.

I think those fit the title of 20-22 (or at least close). Wind went out of the sails on all of those and I pick them up when I see them for cheap now.

On a larger scale, all of my comic money now goes into horror related titles and characters (outside of finding cheap books/dollar bin spec type stuff). From Pre-code horror to Bronze DC (with a artist creator focus like Wrightson, Adams, Kaluta, Cardy, etc).

I feel like Horror related stuff is the best bet at this point (outside of the established super hero books that will always be at the forefront of collecting.

7 Likes

Horror-related stuff is fun if nothing else!

2 Likes

Wow! Thatā€™s a deal for YA #1.

Hmmmā€¦ specifically from 2020 - 22 Iā€™d say (in no particular order),

Hell Arisen 3 - Punchline
Miles Morales Spider-Man 6 - Starling
Miles Morales Spider-Man 13 - Billie Morales
Strange Academy 1
Black Panther 3 - Tosin
Venom 27 - Codex
Captain Marvel 8 - Star (I think the 3rd print was 2020)
Taskmaster 3 - Taegukgi
Edge of Spider-Verse 4 - Spinstress
Reptil 1 - Eva
Batman 96 - Clownhunter
Batman 102 - Ghost-Maker
Batman 108 - Miracle Molly
Dark Knights: Death Metal 7 1:100 - Yara Flora (my hunch is that this is going to be ā€˜the bookā€™ for this character) but thereā€™s also future state wonder woman 1 as the more obvious, affordable choice)

Indy:
SIKTC
We Live

Would love feedback on this list, and to see otherā€™s choices. Good topic.

6 Likes

thanks! So many great picks are given on current stuff, felt like there could be some deals on stuff that has cooled off a bit.

No high republic seems like a miss. It is inevitable that once they have bled the skywalker era dry, they will have all these new stories to explore.

Just might not happen in our lifetime!

1 Like