2023 New Years Resolutions Thread

Time to look back on what I said I’d do 1 year ago.

Definitely became more picky in speculation in 2023. Very few books I bought more than one copy. I knew 2023 I wasn’t going to rely as much on sales to fund new books so I really challenged myself and cut back. Crappy spec, stories and meh covers helped me resist temptation.

I did not put up any books on MCS or Comic Link. Since the value of books generally nose dived I didn’t think they’d sell for what I’d be asking, and then I’d end up paying to ship the book out and then storage fees it after sitting a while.

This was definitely NOT the year I organized my books. I did start…but I’m still in the process. Maybe 2024!!

How’d everyone else do?

4 Likes

Ive stuck to my word. Bought less regular covers, and bought more ratios.

Will stick with that habit well into 2024. Cover prices aint going down…

4 Likes

I spent less than $800 this year on comics for the pc. Mostly it was end of year sales, signed books and facsimiles/foils. Looking forward to Feral and will pick up the signed set. I have 3 books on my want list, so I’m hoping those prices drop. This was probably the cheapest year in comics for me.

2 Likes

I think I met mine. I don’t think I spent more than $300 on comics this past year. Focused more on experiences while also focused on getting projects done in and around the house.

2 Likes

My resolution is to reduce my current comic storage / number of short boxes. This means a lot of selling off books that don’t mean anything to me anymore…

3 Likes

This!!! My resolution as well!

I love supporting my locally owned and community-minded LCS so I’ll likely have to pair down some monthly titles and maybe grab more trades or omnibuses instead.

1 Like

I didn’t make it a resolution, but I cut my new books drastically… maybe 2-3 dozen all year? I really like my LCS and want them to keep succeeding, but I’m just an occasional new buyer or back issue buyer now.

My goal is to sell, sell, sell. I sold a bunch of variants I have and keep it going. My strategy has been less new issues unless they are actually heating up.

2 Likes

Mine too, I’ve been getting more supplies and have been listing more. New year is to sell, sell, sell and get rid of more stuff

My goal is to start selling a lot more than last year.

Alot of “Sell” and “Buy less”.

I’d say the comic industry is …yea… one of those words that is not very pleasant.

3 Likes

I fully plan to keep supporting books I love. I just am not doing as much early speculation on characters. Normally I would buy multiples of of books with new and interesting characters. Haven’t been doing it as much. Been buying a ton of back issues especially gold silver and bronze.

5 Likes

When people ask me my New Year’s Resolution I always joke how years ago I resolved to quit making New Year’s Resolutions and haven’t broken my streak yet.

That said, as for goals in 2024, I have significantly cut my pull list of stuff I was getting just to read as there was too much to read and too little time, with a lot of it not bringing me as much joy to read either. I will keep pruning my pulls to not let them get too big at any shops (I have a few shops around here pull 2 or 3 books a month for me so I can give all of them a bit of support and have a pull box for them to toss hot books I ask about in). I hope to keep enjoying what I do get to read and to make a profit on what I get to sell.

My goal this year is to stick to a budget of books/collectibles to $100/month. Any in excess comes out of profits from comic sales.

On the flip side I’m going to support my LCS with pre-ordering books more (versus online purchase of new books). Especially since it seems this year might be tighter than last year and I do want them to stick around.

My other goal is to acquire a few silver/bronze keys on my “grail” list. So if I go over that $100 that will eat into the money set aside for acquiring those books.

I may start letting some of my collection go in bulk to help fund those grails. Right now I have some decent runs of series that I haven’t let go because I still hold out hope that I’ll find time to read them. I have a a good number of trades as well. I may start by listing some on this forum before putting up on eBay.

1 Like

I didnt stick to mine. I spent about $1k on comics on 2023. Would of been $0 if it wasnt for that Star Wars book and some good deals that @faele had lol. But this year is sell, sell, sell. At least I hope I sell lol.

3 Likes