Antique/Used Book Shops

How many of you have had good experiences with antique or used book shops in finding books? I’ve never checked out this option, but am tempted to do so.

2 Likes

They are very hit and miss in my experience. I usually find one of 3 things when I look in these places.

In order of likelihood in my experience.

1. They have no comics.
  2. They have no idea what comics are worth so they price them way too high.
  3. They have no idea what comics are worth so they price them way too low.
4 Likes

I have a seasonal antique shop that mainly carried postcards and photos. They also had about 300-500 late silver age and early bronze books. They were stored in top loaders and were all in Fine-Near Mint Conditions. $1 each or $2 with the top loaders. I bought pretty much everything he had. Titles ranging from Forever People, Green Lantern, Shazam, Captain Marvel, Fantastic Four, etc. Several Keys including Darkseids first appearance. I’m a marvel guy so I’m not remembering the names of a lot of the firsts including some green lanterns and the drug issue. I don’t think I got less than $75 for any of them and sold quite a few for hundreds. I still check in periodically but he hasn’t had anymore. Apparently it was estate sale where he had initially picked them up.

1 Like

Wow! Completely understand that’s a rare occurrence, but I think it’s fair to say we’re all looking for an experience like this!

@ToddW- where do you live?

1 Like

I used to hit a used book store that would have comics for .50 cents and time to time run sales. I would grab pretty much anything they had. Most of the time it was Marvel titles. Got some good stuff.

Have seen comics in pawn shops and usually over priced and in terrible condition.

Antique stores I have had some luck in. Especially antique malls. Some guys would have stuff that were market priced in cases which I would usually avoid while others would have small boxes with comics that were well priced for quick sales.

I did use to hit an auction next to an antique mall. Once got into a bidding war with one of the guys who had a booth for 3 long boxes of comics. I didn’t have a lot of cash with me so ended up losing but knew who the guy was from his booth. He took the long boxes to his booth and priced them at a $1 each. I went over the next day and pulled out all the good comics for $1 each and had the last laugh. Paid for the stuff out of them that I wanted and left the rest there.

2 Likes

I live in northern New York. Just southwest of Watertown. The shop was in a lakeside village called Sackets Harbor. Most of the businesses are only open during the summer including his. It was definitely a lucky find. Actually my sister and brother-in-law discovered it and told me about it.

2 Likes

Good stuff!

1 Like

Really hit & miss. Funny thing is I just left an antique mall I hadn’t been to in awhile this morning.
As pointed out above, this place was the “Everything priced too high”. Crappy condition books all that were silly prices. Lots of varied books throughout, but same trend regardless.

I have another antique store that I’ve had far better luck at. Pulled lots of keys and minor keys for $2 a book. It’s in a small town and out of the mainstream. Imo… it’s the shops (and even comic shops) that are off the beaten path that can be gold.

This was an antique store haul from recent not long ago. Nothing mind-blowing but all nm and just the Black Panther annual easily paid for the lot.

4 Likes

Nice! The Ecto Kid was hot for a minute. May come back again.

I’ve had some luck at antique/flea market-style stores. Also used book stores and thrift shops, on some occasions. It really is a total crapshoot.

1 Like

In most of the antique malls that I have gone to you can find something once in a while worth getting. They are usually the common books that suddenly became hot or books that had been priced years ago that might be a bargain now. I usually look for booth that sells all kinds of stuff that might have some comics.

2 Likes

This is a good point. A place that only has comics is usually a waste of time.

2 Likes

Hey hey! Grew up in the “suburbs” of Potsdam, here. There was an old antique shop in Govenuer (Gova-Manure, we used to call it) that used to have comics. It’s claim to fame was the inventor of lifesavers candy lived there.

Shop isn’t there anymore last time I drove through. Big Pep-O-Mint roll is…they should change the flavor every few years…

Trying to think of the last time I made an awesome comic discovery at an antique mall or store…in the past 10 years I think the best I’ve done is flip a $10 comic having paid $1.

2 Likes

I scored my Eternals (1976) #s 1, 2, & 3 from an antique mall for $2 each in VF+ condition. Also some random SW Lego figures we needed as well for like $1-$3 each. Good stuff.

1 Like