Biggest Tearjerkers

I was thinking today about how much of an emotional impact comics can have on us. On that note, I decided to create this topic to see what you ladies and gentlemen consider to be your biggest tearjerkers. Every time I read the letter from Thomas to Bruce in Flashpoint #5 I tear up, but for the book that always chokes me up the most, I have to go with the X-Cutioner’s Song Epilogue (Uncanny X-men #297). As Professor X regains the ability to walk for a while after getting the cure for the techno-organic virus, he expresses his desire to truly enjoy the short time he has being able to walk. He and Jubilee have a blast and we see a rare glimpse of Professor X’s fun side. And as the book comes to its end, we finally see Professor X stumbling to the ground again, crippled once again. This image has always made me incredibly emotional. So, I was just curious if you guys had any tearjerkers you might recommend.

2 Likes

Ok…mine fits in this category…sort of…it was a tearjerker for me, but tears of joy. I am the biggest Colossus fan and when he died in Uncanny X-men 390 I was crushed. I know he made the ultimate sacrifice for Mutantkind…but damn that sucked.

So years down the road I am ignorantly reading along on the latest issue of X-Men…Astonishing X-Men #4 by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday…when this happened…

I mean come’ on!! Just look at each panel, the emotion, the pacing and the build up…When that bullet “pinged” of something metal…I frickin’ just knew!!! Also the way Kitty is standing there in shock…the expression on her face…sheesh…and that reveal panel…oh man!!!

4 Likes

Hell yes, tears of joy count! Thank you for sharing the images and sharing the events that took place before and up to the moment of his return! Now that’s one I can add to my list of must reads!

I cried reading Laila Starr. Still think #3 is one of the best comics over.

1 Like

One of the most thought provoking, emotional comics I’ve ever read.
Remains one of my favorites and it’s one of a handful of comics I will provide to those who think comics are “silly”.
You can likely find it in any shop or dollar bin…do yourself a favor and pick it up.

2 Likes

I am happy to let you know that I am ordering this book because of your post. I look forward to reading it and thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this here–from the cover I have a notion of what the book may focus on, and it looks like something quite poignant. I’ll be ordering a copy thanks to your post. Much appreciated!

1 Like

@Waymond You are most welcome! I’d love to hear if you enjoyed it (or not as well) after you read it. Even if just a direct message!
Regards!!!

1 Like

You’ve got a deal, my friend.

1 Like

“New X-Men,” #127. Xorn’s diary tells of him going to Mutant Town to help a young boy who is in the process of mutating, but he’s currently massive and hideous, plus so hungry he ate a neighbor’s dog. The mutant boy’s mother gave him and herself enough pills to possibly kill themselves but they only work on her and he freaks out and causes a ton of property damage before getting killed by the police. Xorn observes he would have turned into something beautiful in just a short time and this was a horrible waste. It was such a sad and touching issue. Then later on we learn that Xorn was Magneto all along and it makes this issue a bit of a mystery. Were Xorn’s journals all fake to throw Professor Xavier off as he was letting Xorn teach at the X-Mansion (where he was slowly turning some students against everyone)? Is there some truth to the journals as certain statements sound like something Magento would have said or observed? The issue is beautiful and still touching even once we learn the truth about Xorn/Magneto.

Now, once Morrison’s run on X-Men ended Marvel basically undid all of the cool stuff Morrison did, but whatever.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this, David. The story sounds poignant for sure. It has officially been added to my list of must reads.