Black Knight: Curse of The Ebony Blade

Anyone else reading the new mini that came out today? I’m a huge Black Knight fan, so I was excited to hear Marvel was making a big push with him this year. But I’m not sure about Si Spurrier’s take on the character. Did I miss something? When did Dane Whitman become the laughing stock of the Marvel hero universe? In both the Knull special and now this mini he’s just written like such a buffoon. Which was never how he was previously portrayed over the years. I’m gonna stick with it, but so far at every turn Marvel tends to screw this character over. Even his previous six issue “series” by Frank Tieri was bad. I’d say his prime was still the Roger Stern avengers run and his later 90’s “leather jacket” run.

4 Likes

I tend to agree with you. Also a huge fan. Has the potential to be one of the darkest, nearly anti-hero types in the Universe. Not to mention among the most powerful when armed with the blade.
I don’t really get it.

My only hope is that he is portrayed well relative to the Eternals and that will make things right in my mind.

2 Likes

maybe they’re setting up something new with the “bastard”.

2 Likes

You know nothing, Black Knight.

1 Like

Was going to pick those up, but think I’ll pass now. Loved Stern’s run on the Black Knight in Avengers.

1 Like

“He fights with a SWORD! What a doofus! Now back up and make room for the REAL hero to shoot his bow and arrow at the alien.”

1 Like

That Stern run is probably still my favorite Avengers run, ever. (Avengers #255-288, though he’d been writing it regularly starting with 227. Buscema stayed thru 300 and 289-300 were great as well.) And Black Knight was on top of his game during that period!

2 Likes

Stern is another comic creator I’ve had the pleasure of meeting at comic-cons. One of the nicest guys around. We chatted about how we love the Vulture and he didn’t get enough respect as a rogue of Spidey.

1 Like

I didn’t read Black Knight, but literally every review I saw on youtube said the same thing. They portrayed him as dumb and it was annoying.

1 Like

I think the whole point of this series is to rework the Black Knight. The character needs to be modernized to be more in line with the MCU.

1 Like

You can completely do this without destroying the integrity of who the character was in the past. The writer is just making crap up at this point pertaining to who the character was, how he acted and how he was seen by other heroes.

1 Like

I really liked this book.

People are complaining about him being so goofy but when you are seeing his thoughts he specifically addresses why he acts that way, he only does it because it’s the only way he can overcome the evil thoughts the blade gives him. Seems like the goofiness is a coping mechanism and he’s still a really dark serious character.

I would agree it would be dumb if he were just like that with no reason. I’m interested to see where this goes.

1 Like

I have to add this since you are all obviously Black Knight fans…

I went to a show yesterday, the first in over a year.
A younger, extremely nice fellow had the wonderful luck of gaining access to a magnificent golden age collection w hich he had set up for display.

Among the beauties on display and for sale: Gorgeous copy of Black Knight #1 from 1955 as well as the follow up issues. I’ve never seen them in person. I realize these weren’t Dane, but still the first Black Knight. Incredible books! Oh to be a rich man! Pretty darn rare books.

1 Like

I’ll have to be happy with the recent Black Knight 1955 facsimile edition I suppose! I wish they’d reprint the Marvel Superheroes Presents The Black Knight story sometime…

1 Like

“People are complaining about him being so goofy but when you are seeing his thoughts he specifically addresses why he acts that way, he only does it because it’s the only way he can overcome the evil thoughts the blade gives him. Seems like the goofiness is a coping mechanism and he’s still a really dark serious character.”

I could actually see this as making sense. But why are his fellow Avengers treating him so badly? That part doesn’t gel with the overall idea that he has to act a certain way in order to overcome his evil thoughts. They’d have no idea what was going on with him…

No they they only know him the way he acts which is like a goofball, he doesn’t act serious so they don’t treat him seriously

Issue 1 is the first appearance of Jacks, yes?

I picked it up today as a wait and see.

I believe it is. Though if they make Jacks the new Black Knight I’ll murder the writer. Three issues in and still crap.

so jacks who 1st appears in issue 1, and only cover app for #1 is the cabal stormbreaker cover, in issue 5 its revealed she is the daughter of dane and becomes a black knight

8 Likes

@Kevin Thank you! What of course is typical for me is that I have every other single cover and variant (including that really nice 1:50) but didn’t have that particular cover lol!!!

Looking forward to reading it now! Really appreciate the heads up!

1 Like