Box Office: ‘Joker’ Becomes The Most Profitable Comic Book Movie Ever

Despite not being a “comic book movie”, Joker keys have almost doubled in value since the film’s release… I have mentioned this repeatedly over the last year on CHU. Next step OSCARS? Will it just be a PHOENIX nod or a landslide?? Once again friends, last chance for Joker keys, things may get nuclear… Enjoy your Sunday, be well everyone… :black_joker:

Kinda, it says highest grossing for not being in China and 3D so doesn’t top a good amount of comic movies that had China and 3D releases.

Anyone that has seen a Marvel movie in 3D would of seen it in 2D if there wasn’t a 3D version, so not really fair to not count 40% of ticket sales in because they were in 3D and Joker wasn’t.

1 Like

“But unlike Warner Bros.’ Aquaman ($1.148 billion worldwide with $298 million in China) and Spider-Man: Far from Home ($1.131 billion with $199 million in China), Joker will earn its $1 billion-plus gross without a 3-D boost and without China. When it passes The Dark Knight ($1.004 billion worldwide in 2008), it’ll be the biggest-grossing movie ever to not play in China). Yes, that’s assuming it doesn’t eventually get a Chinese play date. But without China, it should still flirt with a global cume over/under Aladdin ($1.0506 billion).”

I think you’re misunderstanding this Alana. Joker has already made almost equal amounts as the world records WITHOUT 3D or playing in China. If it does get a Chinese viewing it will be a complete SLAUGHTER of the record books, it ALREADY is. This is the most profitable comic book movie ever. It’s not even close… You’ve misunderstood that aspect. Your 3D prices are a great point though totally agreed. Respectfully of course. :wink:

It doesn’t even compare, Endgame 2.798 billion dollars Joker not even close to the record.

Again you’re misunderstanding highest grossing vs most profitable…

Endgame production cost 356 million total box office 2.798 billion total 2.442 billion dollar profit.

I could make a Joker movie for .3 cents and as long as it make s $1200, I can say it’s the highest grossing film percentage for a comic book movie without 3D and China it still doesn’t mean it out performed 20 other movies in profit.

Alana. It’s FORBES. They’re kind of a reputable business source? I highly doubt they’re lying over a comic book movie. Maybe you should send them an email? It was clearly stated that the record was somewhat “skewed” due to it not being available in 3D or China. 45% of ENDGAME sales were 3D, as you mentioned already 3D has a higher revenue/profit margin as we all know. Essentially it’s like comparing apples and oranges. What gives? I didn’t write the FORBES article? Did you dislike the movie or something? What’s up? EITHER WAY you argue by “Thanksgiving 2019, the joker movie will end up the lowest-budgeted movie to ever top $1 billion in profit.” Obviously you’re a marvel fan all good… :grin:

Technically the Star Wars comic came out before the movie so we can call it a comic book movie since were skewing things with a $11 mil dollar budget made an adjusted for inflation $3 billion Jokers budget was $35 mil and hasn’t even crossed a billion yet. Joker’s not even in the top 5 grossing films for the year its 7th. Think the guy at Forbes had nothing better to write about, so he propped up the 7th best grossing film of the year up like it did something to appease his editor after a weekend of cocaine and prostitutes, by taking away 65% of every other Marvel/DC/Sony/Fox films that are in 3D and released in China total box offices.

These are silly stats. There’s really only one that matters. Profit.

That being said, I’m glad it’s getting recognized. It’s a different movie than what MCU and DCU has put out before and it’s refreshing to see that creativity and risk being rewarded.

2 Likes

Finally. Thx man. :v:

Well said, Drog. Im not quite sure why Alana seemed to take such animosity towards Forbes’ article. Either way, the movie has been received quite well among critics and fans. This is good for our hobby, regardless what countries are showing it, or if its in 2D or 3D. And Alana, technically all movies are in 3D. Our existence is within a three dimensional world. Even if the movie is claimed to only be 2D, it is in actuality 3D. :wink:

1 Like

Alana has always been negative towards DC films, it seems.

It’s just Alana being Alana. :grin:

1 Like

I didn’t say anything bad about Aquaman :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Joker is $16M away from crossing $1B. It’s projected to do that this week.

1 Like

The only DC movie my wife liked, Aquaman…

Was it a good movie? Or was it 2 hours of eye candy?

:wink:

Unless they’re sharing those profits with me… I don’t care how much they make. If I like a movie, then I like it. If I don’t, then I don’t. That’s the only thing I care about when it comes to movies. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Customers would come in and say things like “I just can’t wrap my brain around a Joker movie without Batman …”

Kudos to Joaquin Phoenix and Warner … it is a great film and DC deserves the love … they have always had a better stable of Characters than Marvel … and the Batman / Keaton film could arguably be called the “Big Bang” of the modern Comic Movie …

1 Like