Buying Multiple Copies of Hot Books at your Local Shop

Yeah I def think that allowing one person to buy every copy of a book you have the day it comes out is BS.

Speculation is cool but so are limits.

1 Like

The good news is they stopped me from specing on Virus too heavily. Jk, I wasnā€™t particularly interested in that character anyway, rip

Even if Virus did stick around as Virus with that armor, heā€™d need an upgrade. Anyone who thought a character would stick around with his garbage collection of an outfit is likely delusionalā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

My LCS has a two limit on new books. I did the same thing with trying to buy 3 copies of a certain comic and they told me there was a limit of two. It is ok now that I know. The first time it was a little embarrassing. :pleading_face:

1 Like

In our brick and mortar stores if something is hot (ie is sold out everywhere online like the day of release or sooner) weā€™ll limit it to 1 per customer for the first week. But if people are subscribed to it they can buy a 2nd copy if they want one for collecting/reading.

2 Likes

One shop owner explained to me that he orders New books based on what books are left On the shelfā€¦so if someone cleared the shelf because of spec he may actually order more of The next issueā€¦so he prefers to limit copies on new books so he can tell whoā€™s actually reading books And order appropriately.

Heā€™s has a really small shop, so thatā€™s just how he manages it, and I respect that (I actually was going to buy 2 copies of Autumnal #1, and put one back). But back issues he has no limits. I walked out with 5 Black Panther Annual #1s for cover last time,

1 Like

I disagree with this. I feel like a shop can play both markets if they are smart about it. buy enough inventory for your customers and then buy enough to sell on ebay at a marked up price.

2 Likes

No, just buying on release dayā€¦1 has threatened to ban me and the other i use doesnā€™t care how many I order.

1 Like

I agree, its all about scarcity, real or manufactured, if the publisher allowed a glut of them there would be no scarcity, all none sold copies could be returned and pulped and from then on if there is a demand, people could trade them.

I found a place that has them Limit one Per online We Live #1

I have ordered from them in the past and they are a decent shop.

2 Likes

Thanks, picked up a copy. Iā€™ve heard nothing but good things so far.

Lol @ multiple people on this thread possibly getting banned for buying too many comics. I would be devastated because this shop actually has a solid back issues wall that they update weekly as well as solid back issue boxes. All with very fair prices. I would have to try to pay the owner to un-ban me if he did

They had just put an X-Men 266 VF for $80 and a Silver Surfer 14 VF for $80. Two books Iā€™ve been eager to pick up. However, I really want to only get newsstand editions for 90s books and the Silver Surfer 14ā€™s centering was slightly slantedā€¦ A near awesome day, ah well

Okay I ordered another copy from the link you shared. Bringing me to 4 total copies, my fomo is now mostly under control, ty.

Our CA meetings are weekly. We will guide you through the 12 steps of your comic addictionā€¦ we address FOMO as wellā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

One things that Iā€™ve found, and that sometimes gets a bit over the top to me is that Iā€™m routinely questioned about ā€œwhy?ā€ Iā€™m buying a book.
My shops clearly know Iā€™m into the spec game and love to hunt down hot books and 1st appearances, however, I also just really love comic books. Not every comic I buy is because of ā€œspecā€.
I tend to getā€¦ā€œSoā€¦whatā€™s this really going for?ā€, ā€œWhy two?ā€, ā€œgoing to sell this one?ā€

Sometimes, I just donā€™t feel like having to explain why Iā€™m buying every book in a stack.
There are many times Iā€™m just completing the run, like the artist or art.

Iā€™ve actually done a good job of limiting the total titles I pick up each week. In order to rationalize the heavy spending on specific issues, for example Codex lol (donā€™t die Codex, okay RIP.)

Iā€™ll also do this thing where, I often want to buy the main Batman line. But then I ask myself do I really need to read another Joker story? Then Iā€™ll say, if I really want it, I can buy it next week.

I was also forcing myself to buy Amazing Spiderman for a while before determining I just donā€™t need a complete spiderman run. If the recent Spiderman runs were just a little better Iā€™d still be buying it. Iā€™ve just generally been underwhelmed since issue 800.

Buying less new books on Wednesday means buying more Silver Age!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve legitimately thought multiple times about driving back to the comic store since being told I canā€™t have multiple copies. Not because I need more We Live. But because I wanted to spend more time digging in long boxes like a crackhead. But I donā€™t want to flag myself further as the guy who tried to walk out with a stack lol

Nope, the 4 LCS I have here will let you buy as many copies of a book as you want however if the book is hot and it isnā€™t on your pull list then you will pay the FMV of the book, usually whatever it sells for on ebay. If the book is on your pull list you will pay the cover price depending how many copies you ordered, if you only ordered 1 then that copy will be cover price and the rest you buy will be the current FMV.

2 Likes

I just moved from NY to NJ Union county and I miss going to the LCS. Have not been to NY in a month so my pulls at my LCS are on hold till I bring the kids to grandmas for a visit. Im looking for a shop close out here but most are far away.

1 Like

Yup, having just moved from the UES to near Summit New Jersey there are less options here. I previously had access to all of Manhattan!

I have a good shop near me and Iā€™m not thaaaat far from Union NJ, but I really donā€™t need another CHU-level buyer around haha