Buying/Selling in Bulk

For anyone in the know … can someone tell me how much money local shops typically offer to buy collections for? I know it depends on what is in the collection, condition, etc., but I’m just looking for general input.

To put this in some context, I’m looking to buy up a local collection of about 2000 comics, most of which is relatively worthless, but does have some “decent” finds (nothing earth shattering though). I know the seller also sent a list to the local shop but they haven’t responded with a price yet. I’ve never bought in bulk before so this is new to me. I’ve read 5 to 10 cents per comic. Does that sound right?

Or better question, how much have you all bought up collections for on average?

I think there is a similar thread out there but I couldn’t find it so please merge as necessary. Thanks.

1 Like

I first did a Yard Sale and a Flea Market with about 40 boxes of books.
After getting full dollar for those two sales, I was left with 32 boxes of “not much good books left” which is what it sounds like you have.

Ultimately, I bulked out that remaining 32 boxes of comics for $50 per box.

2 Likes

Unless there is amazing stuff in the collection or there are a couple really easy and profitable flips, I don’t don’t think I’d offer more than $0.25 per book.

I usually stay between $0.10 - $0.25 per book for the type of collection you referenced. You need to factor all the time you are going to spend going through the collection, cataloging it, and possibly rebag and reboarding everything, which is a time and $ expense.

Space is also a big factor. Every collection has worthless dreck that can become $20 overnight because of a movie or YouTuber, but you need to factor in the amount of space you have to stash away all of that.

4 Likes

Good tip. I didn’t think much about this but you’re right. Flipping books for a small profit may not be worth the effort if you factor all of this in. Sounds like I need to keep it low and move on to the next collection if the deal falls through. Thanks!

4 Likes

No problem! Yeah, sometimes a potential seller will scoff a bit, but you need to factor all of that in and sometimes they understand and come around.

I purchased a very nice collection last Easter, which was filled with great books so I offered a bit more, but I had to rebag and board everything and even trash some books unfortunately. I don’t know where they were stored but the bags were covered with some substance I don’t want to know what it was. Some of the really nice looking books had rusty staples because of where they must have been stored. It was A LOT of work and the supply chain was really really backed up at that point so getting bags was a huge challenge.

If they won’t budge then simply kindly tell them to research their collection, sell the profitable books on eBay, and donate the rest.

3 Likes

Ships will pay $20-$40 a long box.

1 Like

I was thinking of doing what you did. Sold a box of books to an LCS for about $30. But for the rest of the stuff (not drek, but not great), I was first thinking of offering it up on Craigslist, at a $1/book, and maybe $0.75/ if they bought 10 or more. Little cagey about having people come over to the house, and the type of people, but guess I have to take the plunge. Need to earn some comic-spending money, and get rid of the many boxes.Wont bag or board though - too much work and too expensive.

1 Like

What about shops ? :wink:

1 Like

My local shop said they usually will buy back issues comics at 15 to 20 cents. I was thinking off bringing in some common back issues that I had purchased in a lot for about 10 cents each. I need to get rid of some stuff that I don’t need or have interest in.

2 Likes

I’m the same way. I don’t like giving out my address to potential Craigslist crazies but I’ve done a few at my home so far and have not had any bad experiences (they were for repairable, very heavy equipment so that’s why my home). Comics I would probably meet in a public parking lot.

2 Likes

I may just do the driveway. And I think my local police station has a spot where online transactions can be transacted. Good luck, hope you sell a ton for $$$$, and share your experience.

2 Likes