Canto optioned for animated movie

I’m beginning to believe that no 1st appearances, as it pertains to Marvel, is FOMO.
It’s more like get it now before it’s too late.

Everything else (such as Canto) … it’s a gamble

coughcough…WANDAVSION…coughcough… all those bogus specs were FOMO

1 Like

Absolutely true - with exception of Darkhold, many were FOMO.
What’s not clear to me; however, is the impact to the values of those books that were being speculated on.
As an example, I look at Silver Surfer #3 and the prices don’t seem to have moved downward. In fact, they’ve continued to rise. I’m guessing there are other that haven’t? I dunno. It just seems like you can’t lose on Marvel lately 95% of the time. And them’s good enough odds for me.

Silver Surfer 3 and many other Marvel books are going to continue to rise over time without any spec on them. The spec only bumps it quickly but it would have gotten there eventually. It’s not like Mephisto is a nobody and it is highly likely he will be on the big or small screen in the near future.

1 Like

100% agree

Elaborate on what exactly ‘bogus spec’ is…'cause, by definition, speculation is a guess. Can a guess be ‘bogus’?

I myself wouldn’t call it bogus spec but it ends up being “bad spec”… when it doesn’t pan out.

Not really comparable here. A lot of the spec there was on characters that were not all that popular prior and many temporary things or “events” or “places.” Not good things to spec on to begin with.

For example, We all know white vision is basically a costume change that will eventually be changed again.

Canto was a popular book/character and the story before this announcement. It’s a whole new world of fantasy and a series, if some right, may propel it into household recognition. Imagine the price of these books, already scarce in high grade, should the world fall in love with this character, with parallels with the wizard of oz tin man, like so many in the comic industry already have.

Another way to look at this…

Captain America 6 Winter Soldier Variant has hot $1000 in 9.8 on eBay the past week. So has Canto #1 in 9.8 (Cheapest on eBay is currently $1500 with no Bid, 9.6s got for $400-$500).

I have a CA6 in 9.8 and would likely trade it straight up for Canto 1 9.8 right now.

1 Like

I think I still feel good about “spec” books becoming sort of keys or minor key books that I’m comfortable having and placing with other keys, but the distinction comes with what their value should be.

With the Wandavision books, I still feel that most of those spec books that arose are worthy of being found/collected/placed with other “keys” but they shouldn’t at all be worthy of the prices people were paying for them.

This weekend I finally attended a show and I saw plenty of the Wandavision associated books for sale, placed on the back walls of vendors etc. The weren’t moving at all for the prices I saw them.
However, I had no problem finding and buying a few of those same issues in cheap boxes/bins that folks missed for next to nothing.

Picked up a decent copy of Adventure into Fear #11 for $5 bucks because people simply don’t really know the book very well and what it is.

It’s a key imo, also a spec book…but worthy of having regardless of any play or recent “hot book” associations it has. All the spec talk just sort of brought it to the forefront is all.

An example how extreme the market is for Canto.

Yesterday Canto 1 (Frankies Comics/Gorkem) 300 print a raw sells for $350 then later
a 9.8 sells for $562. So who got a good deal? My vote says the 9.8 buyer.

Very similar to raws vs graded with SIKTC 1 Cover A all over the place.

Canto 1 Cover A last two raws sold $300 and $260… making the 9.8s even more expensive thanks to the damaged covers.

Organic demand at these prices or FOMO?..we shall see eventually what the market says the books are really ‘worth’ :popcorn:

1 Like

I’ve sold 2 damaged Canto #1 for around $85 a piece, probably 8.5 to 9.0 type of grade unless they’re able to press out some of the damage. I’m happy with the quick sales, I paid under cover (bought at discount on pre-orders).

I also sold a almost NM (probaly 9.6 as it stands) for $255. Nothing wrong with it but it had a small ring dentation on back cover, could only see if you looked at right angle. Still not bad considering I paid $3.99 for it.

2 Likes

Nice sales!
Everyone has to follow their own game plan with comic books.
Can’t just blindly follow others.

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of sending Canto 1 to CBCS pressing.
Sent them a 9.4 CBCS graded book to crack/press the best they were able to press out was a 9.6 can still see a slight cover wrinkle.

Took forever to get back also. Just sharing my experience.

Anyone have 9.8 success with CGC/CCS pressing of cover A?

1 Like