CBCS verified market and slabbing in general

Sorry, Willie. I dont see it as a penis thing. Im trying to inform. I provided links and photos to back up what I was saying. My point is laid out for all to see, so the people can judge for themselves if they want to sell current 9.6s, modern 9.8s or copper raw books. Cheers Chu!

Did someone say penis measuring contest? Iā€™m in it to win it! :wink:

1 Like

I know ā€¦ but, these things are generally an effort in total futility ā€¦ itā€™s like a dog chasing itā€™s tail ā€¦ for what itā€™s worth, Iā€™m with you ā€¦ :om:

1 Like

Right ā€¦ :banana:

1 Like

CGC or nothing, there is no other grading company to meā€¦ As for modern/current books? CGC 9.8 or nothing, why else do people pick the stack?? Why else would CGC have a pre-screen if people wanted the dreaded 9.6 kiss of death? You could def make some money there I suppose, but ask anybody which book they would prefer? Only budget restraints would ever respond 9.6?? Current books are new, so go preorder and pick the stack and get your 9.8sā€¦ 1980/90ā€™s era MODERNS are so high in print runs why would you settle for a SPAWN #1 CGC 9.6? Again, pick your stacks get your 9.8sā€¦ Personally, I picked the stack even back in the mid 1980ā€™s so my books are solid. :wink: Sure, thereā€™s exceptions!! ASM #300, ALBEDO #2, COMICO Primer #2, TMNT #1, etcā€¦ Thereā€™s a short list of a few titles from this era you will take in any grade of course! But thereā€™s only like a dozen titles or so total I would even consider buying in less than 9.8 from approx 1980 onā€¦ SORRY, I sound like a comic snob, but Iā€™m just being honest from over three decades of experience in this industryā€¦ I would see no point in purchasing a CGC 9.6 NOAMI #1 or TT #12 personallyā€¦ I advise new collectors to save up and do it right, get that 9.8 CGC, thatā€™s the grail, always whenever possible, thatā€™s what everyone wants. Leave those 9.6 raw to sell and help reduce those CGC wait times with unwanted 9.6s, just sayingā€¦ Hope this helpsā€¦ Be well everyoneā€¦

1 Like

The 90s thru 2005 Iā€™ll call the Tin age 2006-2020 is the aluminum age. There is no Modern age, Modern is a pricing term by CGC for any book from 1975 or older that has a value under $200.

1 Like

Tin costs more than Aluminum thoughā€¦ maybe itā€™s better we call the overprinted 90s through mid 2000ā€™s the aluminum ageā€¦ Aluminum is currently $0.79 a pound while Tin is $8.73 a pound. :stuck_out_tongue:

The tin books are proving to be winners as NYX #3 2004, BA#12 1993, New Mutants #98 1991, etc. are major keys. The aluminum age the most expensive books are incentive variants.

Only for like a weekā€¦ with the rising costs of cover price, the most expensive books in the aluminum age are the regular books released each weekā€¦ :wink:

For every key book during this age thereā€™s likely 5,000 garbage booksā€¦ I stand corrected as it being the aluminum age. :wink:

Comics are a great tool to teach inflation from 10c to $4.99. $1 spent when comic books were 10c is equally to $50 spent today.

Got that beat: staring in July, Cardstock is $4.99 every 3.5 oz or so.

CHU community, thank you for all the opinions! Hearing all the different sides based on your own experiences does provide me with some valuable guidance.

Iā€™m ashamed to admit that Iā€™ve taken a kitchen sink approach to comics and have started down that same path toward slabbing. My wallet doesnā€™t like that. Your comments here helps me re-focus and be more intentional in both those areas and will likely help me save some money.

It is very hard to fight against the ā€œmust get everythingā€ mentality and my ill-informed ideas of the market has helped feed into that.

Thank you for being patient with my first post.

3 Likes

It is very hard. When I got back into comics, I ended up with the mentality of, must check out everything. My read and pull lists were crazy long. Nowadays Iā€™ve learned to just buy what I really want and donā€™t sweat if I miss out on a book, etc.

Thanks for posting and joining the forums. Itā€™s exactly why we started them so you and everyone can converse with others that share the same interests, etc.

1 Like

Iā€™m just dropping by this heated discussion because I wanted to contribute the opinion that in the realm of comics there seems to be a lot of disagreement about what comes after Bronze Age. Some say it ends once we hit 1984, others 1985, and then I see some talk of a copper age, dark age, modern age, I think someone said a tin age. Itā€™s all confusing. Also, if weā€™re measuring penis-sizes I have to disqualify myself, it just isnā€™t fair how I win all the timeā€¦

ā€¦for smallest. Sigh.

1 Like

I define ā€œcurrentā€ as this week and not much past that.

Age doesnā€™t matter, neither does size. Itā€™s what you do with it that defines your vitality.

Me, Iā€™m going to live forever anyway!

Maybe it should be called the Garbage Age

1 Like

I like the use of Tin Age. This is always what I thought the next age would be. Steele age also works. From there I have no idea where we will go, plastic age perhaps. I do like the idea of current books being called digital age. Tin age should follow bronze. Modern age is such a broad catagory as it has gone on so long.

Yeah, CBCS changed a bit after the sale to Topps. I still like them but went back to CGC for now. From what I can see CBCS is trying so that is a good thing. Right now and probably for a long while to come CGC books still command the most money. CBCS are a close second and from my experience if not full CGC prices CBCS books realize roughly 5% to 7% less. PGX, although I think their grading, at least these days is pretty much spot on and their case/slabs are good, have a bit of a negative stigma associated with them from past blunders. Iā€™ve noticed on many occasions unless a book is sizzling hot and only PGX copies are still available they will pretty much, as a rule go lower than CGC and CBCS. From what I have seen about 10% to even 15% lower than full CGC. Even for keys. Iā€™m no expert on realized prices. Iā€™m just going on personal experience.

1 Like

I will tell ya, CBCS has great customer service. Every time I have a question they get back to me within a few days or sooner. CGC, not so much. It can take a while with them and sometimes I never hear back at all. CBCS, in my opinion, still has a lot of potential.

I really like that CBCS has a verified signature service. I have a Jack Kirby and a couple Stan Lee signatures I am going to send in to them. For Big time signatures from legends such as those two the service makes sense. Where a celebrity may have signed a book for a character they played on screen it is also appealing that the service may be able to ā€œproveā€ it is them. For not so famous people? Well, the service may not help with the value but for personal satisfaction, if needed, at least there is an option.