CGC 9.4 Direct vs. 9.2 CGC Newsstand

Hi posting for the first time love all the comic talk! I’m having a hard time deciding which might be the better investment, a 9.4 CGC Star Wars 107 Direct or a 9.2 CGC Newsstand copy. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

The value for the two is pretty much the same right now. Newsstand variants are hot right now but it wasn’t too long ago the premium for newsstands, even for keys was minimal at best. Who knows if it will revert back to that or if the premiums we see today for non direct versions will continue. For me, I will always take a higher grade. I like newsstands but not everyone does. Everyone likes higher grades though!

2 Likes

If it were 9.6 newsie vs. 9.8 direct I might say 9.6…but it’s really a toss up, and you should look to see what’s available on eBay to gage scarcity. Some books are just as common in newsie than direct in that era. Especially once you get below 9.6 grades.

So I’d go with the 9.4 in this case.

2 Likes

Great thank you for your imput kinda what I was leaning towards!

1 Like

That could be a factor… Newsstands after 2000 are not very common. Newsstands after 2010, especially with keys can be downright scarce. Before the year 2000 they really aren’t too hard to find. Copper and Bronze age, forget about it, they are all over the place…and yeah, as D-Rog stated newsstands from all eras are tougher to find in 9.8 and 9.6 than their direct counterparts.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums. I’d go with the newsstand only because I collect newsstands. As already mentioned you can gauge which is rarer by comparing what’s available online. You’ll have to go by the pics as most won’t be designated newsstand or direct. Post 1998 Newsstands are one of my main focuses in collecting. Especially any keys Whether it’s minor or major.

That last half of the last sentence now has Me and My *itch by Notorious BIG in my head. What a wonderful start to my morning.

1 Like

Don’t focus on the grade printed on the slab label. Look at each book and buy the actual book you like best.

I’m the guy whos buys books… Not slabs.

1 Like

I recently bought a 9.6 Newsstand Transformers #5 for the price of a direct 9.6 because I hadn’t seen one on eBay in years…as opposed to the glut of 9.8s that are always overpriced and sit there.

So not sure If 9.6 newsies are rarer than 9.8 directs…but I know I waited a looooong time for one to appear.

So I tend for that series in particular to favor 9.6 newsstands over 9.8 directs. Just because it’s not a series that has a lot of graded copies out there asides from the first and final issues.

1 Like