CGC experience - mechanical error

I wasn’t going to say anything as I figured we were just throwing-out old show catchphrases at this point!

Yeah, I can see why you are disappointment. Did they compensate you well enough? I hope it worked in your favor.

Credit wouldn’t do it for me. I would have told them buy me a gift card to their competition

1 Like

I hope the credit was generous. Sorry this happened.

The amount credited was fair however I had to fight to get that amount. They started by saying as a courtesy they will refund you all grading fees. They then offered to the buy the book from me for the amount it was insured for in this case $1000, while an x-men giant size #1 cgc 6.5 was just sold for $2450 on ebay and finally they offered the credit. very frustrating experience given the amount time spent since the initial submission to get a book ultimately damaged permanently. There is no doubt the book was damaged during encapsulation so why wouldn’t they start off with compensating for the damages.

the sketchy part of the whole thing is the grade didnt change even though the corner is completely impacted and missing a small piece and there is now a one inch crease that also breaks color. but somehow the grade was the same.

Guessing there is some lag time between grading and slabbing. So, it got its grade, then was damaged before or during slabbing.

I wouldn’t expect more than the insured amount and feel cheated in that regard. That’s why they have grading tiers.

The books market value at the time of submission was $1000, it has since skyrocketed the past 4 months.

1 Like

Normally I wouldn’t either unless the book had a large spike in price from multiple realized sales from the time it was submitted until the time it was decided there would be compensation for damages. That could take a while and prices can soar on certain books in a matter of days let alone months.

What was the final grade on your GSX1? 6.5?
What grade did you expect before this debacle?

Final was a 6.5 & he was hoping for a 7.0. It was mentioned earlier in the thread.

1 Like

This seems to be happening a little too often. Sent off a TMNT #51 in perfect nick. Studied in carefully under a spotlight. Local LCS owner also studied it and concluded it didn’t even need a press. I agreed, it was a flawless book.

Came back as a 9.4 with a huge non colour-breaking fold in the corner. Same sort of thing happened with a Venom #3 third. Inspected carefully by myself and my LCS owner. Lovely book. Comes back 9.6 with a tiny corner crease (breaking colour).

There seem to be lots of stories like this. I’m not sure what is happening at CGC?

A guy in another group had 7 errors or defects in a submission of 100 moderns.
CGC has thrown their QC out the window. They are quickly becoming a joke. CBCS is looking better and better every day.

I use both CGC and CBCS. Some people seem pretty anti-CBCS, but other than TATs at certain points they have always done a decent job for me.

CBCS does a good job. On average a CBCS book will sell a little more than a PGX but not as much as CGC. IF/when they close that gap even just a little more I think more people would use them. I have no problem with them at all.

The gap in pricing (which I won’t debate here) is a bit of an odd one. Quite a lot of people are of the view that a CBCS 9.8 is harder to gain than the same grade at CGC. That might suggest that a CBCS book is likely to be a really strong example of the grade…yet CGC has the price advantage.

Personally, I want both companies to do well. Competition can drive innovation and price restraint

Maybe CGC still wins out cause collectors know they can get a 9.4 or 9.6 passed off as a 9.8 at CGC… Hmm… I don’t understand the overall draw to CGC with all their issues. It’s like BeatenSlabSyndrome… they keep slapping you collectors around but you all keep going back, loving them more and more… I just don’t get it!

CGC commands the highest price, thats why everybody goes back to CGC.

1 Like

I understand that but why? They shouldn’t command the highest price due to all their flaws in grading, handling comics and slabs, etc.

Collectors deserve better I think.

Imagine buying your Honda vehicle based on just the resell value but every time you take it to the dealer to get serviced they spit on you and the car comes back with a new door ding on the side of it. Would you keep going back to that dealership just because you can sell the car later on for slightly higher price than the competition? I wouldn’t put up with such things? For me, it’s not worth it for the extra few bucks if the dealership next door selling cars treats your property with respect.