CGC Grading Bootlegs?

I’d say by Bad Idea’s reponse, it is a bootleg but they don’t seem to care… it’s like they didn’t authorize it but also not deeming it as anything else…

1 Like

In that case I’m going to order copies and list them as “Another Bad Idea, Idea” lol.

1 Like

A bootleg but they’re cool with it? I haven’t heard of such a thing since everyone was bootlegging live concerts of the Grateful Dead.
https://www.955klos.com/2019/08/12/why-the-grateful-dead-decided-to-let-fans-keep-bootlegging/

1 Like

This drama is free publicity.

4 Likes

Exactly!! All these unorthodox moves have us all talking about it and it could spread to mainstream media as well.

If that dinesh guy is okay with it, then I’m okay with listing it on Ebay.

I was against it, but he didn’t seem to care, so I now have no objections to it.

Let’s print our own then… :wink:

1 Like

I always wondered when they popped up where these ashcans were coming from since we never saw any coming in. One of our guys got a cheap copy just because he’s a fan of kindt and it was pretty obvious someone just took the preview pages bad Idea sent out and paid a printer to print a little booklet.

Really surprised CGC graded it as an official thing, but score one more point for CBCS.

1 Like

Yeah. Still against CGC for grading it but now have no moral objection to people selling them since Bad Idea doesn’t care. @RipCityGamer Tfaw should do their own exclusive bootleg. Lol.

1 Like

No, we should do a CHU one and sell them to TFAW to distribute… :wink:

1 Like

I’d be 100% down to do like a sweded zine style ashcan if rights and copyright weren’t a concern.

1 Like

This is a very slippery slope for Bad Idea, and the hobby.

We, as a comic community, should put no value into a promotional piece printed and sold by a random person who has no association with the creators or publisher of the book. It is literally, a home self-made flyer.

5 Likes

Unless you have an express license in writing, don’t count on a currently friendly person not turning litigious down the road. Just because Dinesh doesn’t care now, doesn’t mean he (or others in his company or his investors) won’t enforce his ip some day. If you have a license in writing, have at it.

What’s interesting is trademark (as distinct from copyright). Failing to enforce your trademark can lead to a claim of abandonment, especially if you are allowing products of lesser quality into the market.

5 Likes

To be fair sometimes even with that you’ll lose if someone else has more lawyers and a desire to retain control over an IP. Cough EA cough

But now, he made it public that he didn’t care. Sure he can change his mind later but shit, now the defense for the other people he decides to go after could easily produce his public social media response as good evidence in their favor… :wink:

Dinesh, perhaps, has others in the company that he is responsible too in regards to company IPs. His opinions expressed on social media may not mean that much in court. Idk though… Wookie?:man_shrugging:

I guess it depends on what the writers/creators think using Bad Idea publishing and what type of contracts they got written up.

Just seems kind of odd now though, a publisher with such strict rules doesn’t care about shops bootlegging their stuff… hmmm…

1 Like

It’s not so much that they won’t count as evidence. It’s really that a claim for some sort of public license like this is revocable at any time.

1 Like

That was my first thought too. I’m just staying the hell away at this point. I was looking forward to this imprint, but I honestly couldn’t care less at this point and have no desire to go chasing after this caravan of bad ideas and malarkey.