CGC improves trading cards turnaround times

CGC trading card arm just announce they have cut turnaround time from 120 days to 60 days. Why can’t CGC make a similar improvement with the comic turnaround times which are now at 135 days and increasing.

Does CGC not want to make a similar investment in the comic grading division or is it more difficult to get comic graders than sports card graders?

1 Like

I have to wonder how much of the market share CGC gets with trading cards though? Just from my general observations it seems like they are the last choice when it comes to grading of cards.

Absolutely agree though. I think the problem continues to be these absolutely massive submissions that are taking place by some folks on a constant basis.

3 Likes

True, collectors would rather go to PSA or Beckett before resorting to CGC.

2 Likes

Cgc doing literally everything but improving their turnaround times for books lol. Anyone notice how they’re even more aggressive at putting out and booking these private signings? Feels like a new one everyday and now with 2-8 people each

3 Likes

Do they do Marvel trading cards yet?

Oh yes. And in a year where cons are pretty much roaring back to life, so I’d imagine in many cases it’s not really “covid replacement” work for these creators. CGC has found it has no reason to improve turnaround in comics.

1 Like

@LoveBox @enabler Literally… literally… as I was reading your post an email flash came up on the corner of my screen about an exclusive CGC signing with Mirka Andolfo. Unreal.

3 Likes

Mirka Andolfo Full Figure Sketch is $1,125 per item. :rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t think Rembrandt is even charging that much these days

3 Likes

What happened to CGC’s new system that was going to dramatically shorten time? My order that I sent in late last year was back in less than a month, and they said by the end of the year, all new orders would be in that system. Are NEW orders in that faster system, but they haven’t yet worked through the massive backlog they had?

1 Like

Maybe my orders were older but all of my CGC orders took over 6- 8 months for modern books.

While sportscards are completely different, PSA announced in a podcast their backlog was approximately 5.8million cards, I wonder what CGC backlog on comics is? Is anyone willing to take a guess?

People sent in even more books lol. Remember when they were caught up on opening mail and immediately got pushed back. Now its they’re a whole month behind opening packages