CGC pickups

Wasn’t my intent to discourage sharing. I just didn’t see how the article supported his claim that “heat from pressing accelerates the decaying process.” A 0.03% deduction is essentially irrelevant.

As Poyo also pointed out, the article doesn’t reference its sources as well, so we can’t even verify this information came from actual studies, and how applicable it is to the paper quality used for comics…especially modern ones which use higher quality paper.

If we’re really that interested we could send a message. This person hasn’t updated heir website in a few years it seems…Facebook page last post was in March of 2018. So not sure they’re even still in business.

I wholly agree, but we could not have known any of that with out Todd linking that article. :wink:

I could ask him (the comic doctor) myself, today. I’m heading to a small, local con today where the Doctor always has a table.

1 Like

Newsprint was never intended to be a long term medium … yet, if properly stored, it’s surprisingly robust for what it is …

When Chuck was lucky enough to be led to the Edgar Church / Mile High Collection, in the mid 1970’s or so, which was essentially saving the Collection from being hauled to the dump … much if not all of that collection was Golden Age, among the many thousands, a Red Raven #1, published in the 1940’s, left unprotected, yet quite pristine and later graded at 9.0 … Chuck acquired a goodly amount of other material from the Church sale as well, and thus launched his fabled career …

Much of the condition quality of the books was attributed to the high sea level / dryer air of the area …

1 Like

Do It! If anything, a great conversation starter!

I’d be interested in his response to any questions. The most important thing in storing books is having the ideal temperature, humidity and even more important is maintaining those conditions. If you’re temperature & humidity fluctuate a lot it’s not good. Got your books in a unfinished attic get em out and in the house. I’m conflicted on pressing and I’ve been reading through a lot of information online and I don’t think there’s been any specific testing on comic books in regards to pressing. Obviously I’m talking about heat pressing where moisture is also introduced. Not just cold pressing as that seems fine but they sometimes press comics for hours and days sometimes and that to me isn’t good. If I’m going to the pains of keeping ideal constant conditions in my comic room why would I want to subject it to extreme heat and water? I guess if I’m selling it I’m okay with it. I know there’s a few people who do their own pressing on here if they’d like to chime in.

Anyways sorry to stray and back to showing off. My most recent cgc purchase of $20

1 Like

Wide variety here, from my previous pickup. I had bid on the 9.4 and honestly had forgotten about it. Lol. Then I received a great offer on the 9.2 that I couldn’t pass up. Both nice editions to the P.C.

1 Like

This will make 4 CGC’s I own ranging from 9.0-9.6 and a raw copy to boot.

Kinda related I’m making a big purchase and can’t make up my mind. $600-800 or so. Which is huge for me right now. My choices are the following.

1)Incredible Hulk #180 CGC 8.0 White Pages First Wolverine Cameo for $800. I think I can get them lower.

2)Marvel Super Heroes #12 CGC 8.0 First Captain Marvel & Fantastic Four Annual #6 CGC 6.5 for $700

3)Marvel Spotlight #32 CGC 9.2 1st Spider Woman & Fantastic Four Annual 6 CGC 6.5 & All Star Comics #58 CBCS 9.0 1st Power Woman for $735
4) X-Men #129 CGC 9.4 1st Kitty Pryde & Emma Frost & 160 CGC 9.4 1st Adult Magik & FF Annual 6 CGC 6.0 & New Mutants 26 CGC 9.6 for $752

Oooo, Big purchase coming soon! I love those! Just my opinion but you literally can’t go wrong with Wolverine. Hulk #180 is still increasing in popularity because it of course, Wolverine’s very first printed appearance within a official story. Cameo or not. Doesn’t hurt that it is less expensive than 181. An 8.0 is a pretty high grade for a major bronze key as well! Just pure awesomeness! That book (along with 181) will still go nuts price wise when it becomes official that Wolverine and Hulk will meet in the MCU! It’s just a matter of time! If you can get it lower than the listed price, even better! If you have any money left over after that I really like Fantastic Four Annual #6. A ton of upside to that one! Two big first appearances that have a good chance at being used down the line in the cinematic universe. Also, if there is a comic that you really want more over any other, get that one. Get what you enjoy first if it is going in the pc.

1 Like

They’d all be for the PC. I mean eventually I may sell them but that be a long way down the road. So they’re all books I want.

2 Likes

I hear ya. I couldn’t imagine anyone not wanting those in their pc! You have one heck of a fun choice to make! Keep us posted on what you decide on!

1 Like

Hulk 180 is likely an under valued book when compared to hulk 181. Unless you pay crazy money over it’s current FMV, it will never bad investment slabbed.

The others…no guarantees.

3 Likes

Haven’t pulled the trigger on any of the big books yet. Washing Machine decide to stop working and that takes precedence over comics unfortunately.

I have narrowed it down to either X-Men #4- 1st Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Toad & 2nd Magneto or IH#180.

I had been focusing on Post 2000 Newsstands & Modern Keys because I didn’t think I’d be able to get the high dollar books. If I stop or cut down on those I can get the ones I like just a bit more. I’m obsessed with those damn newsstands though.

1 Like

Meh, clean clothes are overrated… :wink:

2 Likes

Got a few slabs

back the other day. They are just some personal favorites/PC books so I was pleased. The Spidey surprised me as I feel I usually have a pretty good ability to pick higher grades but no biggie. The Thor & Spawn did better than expected. Three of the 5 (Spawn, Xmen, Spidey) were pulled from a $1 bin so that’s a win regardless!

4 Likes

Nice. I was fortunate enough to buy that Amazing Spider-Man in 9.8 when it was still dirt cheap. I think I picked mine up for $80. I think I had two others at the time that I bought the CGC to buy low and hopefully sell high when she makes it to the big screens. :slight_smile:

Those are some awesome books!

1 Like

Wow…finding that spawn and spidey in dollar bins?? What shop was that? I want to go there!! Those books should never have come close…

@D-Rog Pretty lengthy post…hang with me lol.
This/these were from a $1 a book garage sale I, by chance, happened upon last summer. I believe I posted about on here at the time.
Hands down the best comic find/“in the wild” find of my lifetime.
It was all modern however, so I can’t exaggerate or say I found things like Hulk 181, but for what it was…just unbelievable. I would say there were about 40-50 long boxes of comics. Every book…absolutely perfect, near mint or better, bagged and boarded. I would say books from about 2000 on, but there were some varied books mixed in that were definitely older/80’s. Every book was a buck.

I happened to get there first thing in the morning. I was first to the sale. As the boxes were all in order/alphabetized, I just started at the beginning (but started with Marvel as all of DC and independent were in another area of the garage and driveway. Within the first minute I knew I may have gotten lucky as books you usually don’t see…were there (again, in terms of modern stuff).

The thing is…people began showing up and I started getting stressed out. One of the first people to show up completely dismissed it all saying he hated “modern junk”. Regardless, as time progressed others showed up and it became a bit of a frenzy. There was no way it made sense to ping pong ball so I just kept going in order as fast as I could while trying to sort of “basketball block out” areas of about 3 long boxes as I went. I was about to the "M"s by the time others went got in there and I knew I had done a decent job of already yanking books prior.

I know we all love spec and there are countless opinions on it, but this type of situation is where each of you/your posts/insight/advice, and this site really can make a difference. It was a situation in which having lists, having your phone just really didn’t work out. I didn’t have time to sit and look up books, check ebay, check “key collector” (GASP)…I had to work off memory, varied runs, things I knew were hot, covers I just knew I had seen someplace. Honestly, it was mentally (and to a degree physically) exhausting.

I, to this day, kick myself for not knowing “everything”. There are many books, artists, covers I just am not well versed in. It is pretty tough to know “every key”. I was proud of how I did, but looking back I know there were some great things I missed. There were a few long boxes of Star Wars comics and another couple of Dark Horse stuff…I was able to grab things like Hellboys first and his first mini series but I completely blew it on Clone Wars and Star Wars Tales books that I know were there. The majority of indy stuff I didn’t get to, but I was able to hit the Spawn box right away as I’m a fan and knew to get into that quickly. I also would grab varied runs/story lines I had always wanted to read and for a buck…why not.

In the end, I bought $150 worth of books…every single one of them was a key (or at least part of a key run or books that are really cool). Everyone was at minimum near mint.

Ultimately, I did talk to the seller. He was an incredibly nice guy. He has collected comics his entire life. He loves all of them, but prefers to focus on older stuff. He helped out from time to time at a local comic shop and essentially took payment in books (which is why there were so many variants in this sale). He was moving and just needed them gone. I sensed money was less an issue than space. I have talked to him since and it sounds like at some point he will sell again. I don’t bug him too much, but have checked in. I really thanked him profusely as he really improved my collection. I kept all of them in a separate box just so I could grade them/keep the collection I bought from him intact.

The other funny thing is he even had small promo things inserted behind the boards in many cases. Like the annihilation poster, or Avengers vs Xmen promo cards.

At any rate, sorry for long post…thought you all may enjoy hearing it.

3 Likes