CGC Raising Prices!

Watch out for those @anthony bathroom special deal books he sells on WhatNot :wink:

In terms of PGX, I crossed over (4) copies of PGX batman adventures 13, PGX ASM 129 and PGX Venom #3 to CGC, and all came back the same grade. I think PGX does a solid job with modern books. However is seems PGX has never been able to shake the legacy issues.

2 Likes

I am in the process of getting 20 books to CBCS.

After the last CGC price rise it ended up being considerably cheaper to post 20 books from the UK to a US third-party presser who will submit to CBCS on my behalf. The only down side is that he has been backed up with orders for quite some time, so it hasn’t made the process any quicker than the CGC one.

The price differential really begins to add up when you are submitting a lot of books - especially as the CGC pressing and grading costs are even higher when submitting from the UK.

Also, just to add - I really don’t see the problem with the CBCS subtle design. The cases are great too. I would say, however, that as lots of people do criticise the CBCS ‘paper’ insert, it seems like an open goal opportunity to give it a bit more sparkle (figuratively speaking, of couse).

3 Likes

Perceived value = reality. Right now, CGC just has a higher perceived value. That might not align with the actual quality of the product, but it is what it is. And, that can be a hard thing to shake. I don’t see a $2 increase changing that. Sometimes a higher price point can only strengthen perceived value.

I think it’ll require a change from CBCS to overcome this. A new, far better insert design, a loyalty/rewards plan… something.

3 Likes

I’m use to paying $50 a book an extra $2 isn’t going to make a difference.

2 Likes

941A1F81-278E-44F7-A171-EEB94BDB5137

3 Likes

I got that email. I saw it and went, “Oh, and they have another million in the queue!”

1 Like

I deleted that email without opening it. Don’t care.

4 Likes

So I got my CGC “your membership is about to renew” email and it says it will auto-renew at $129. This Premium tier is currently $149. Is the email a typo on their part, or will it actually renew at $129?

The CGC website currently says that if you auto-renew, you will save $20 so it appears the $149 fee will actually renew at $129.

1 Like

CBCS increased the price of their grading services again on June 22 and now prices are comparable to CGC and in some case CGC is cheaper.

Seems like a risky move for CBCS.

2 Likes

On one hand - I agree. It is risky for CBCS at any time to be charging more than Sarasota.

On the other hand, I honestly don’t think we’ve come near for price topping off with CGC/CBCS and I fear grading fees by both companies will continue to be significantly more for both their premier and/or standard submissions. Neither the premier submissions nor the standard submissions for either company have hit their price resistance points in my non-data generated opinion.

They will keep moving the needle as long as we, the consumer, continue to make inordinate amounts of money on graded comics & until we slow down when hitting our bottom line.

3 Likes

Years later post! Couldn’t find a good spot so forgive me.

Received this email today. Perhaps someone is looking to renew.

Higher prices, lower quality, why not. Pretty sure CGC is like…

Image result for south park cable company meme

1 Like

And extra scuffs!

1 Like