CGC submission questions

Most people who know what they’re looking at wouldn’t pay the same price for PGX vs. CGC or CBCS. PGX has a history of very loose grading, and their reputation in the market just doesn’t command the same value. I’m glad you can get good prices for ones you sell, but that is definitely outside the norm.

CBCS has definitely stepped up their game, while I also feel like CGC has gotten very complacent.

2 Likes

And that’s where you lose me… :grin:

Likely come back 9.4…probably lose
Money from reslabing…or get hit with the purple label of death…which is primarily why PGX does not get top dollar or even close. Too risky, unless you don’t really want to know what grade your book really is…live in wonder…or denial.

All my books are perfect 10.0’s cause I keep them free and floppy… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll just put this right here for anytime you say that pgx does something CGC is the one doing.

Wait that is one book that is even called out in the story as being “infamous,” meanwhile PGX was caught in a scandal where one of their employees was selling books on eBay in grades MUCH higher than they deserved. With PGX it’s a pattern, while that CGC book is a mistake.

New user, but interested in your presser. Message me when you can?

Yes that’s the one pgx scandal when they opened 15 years ago and fired the guy. The book was a first Robin graded 3.5 restored with tape the guy regraded it himself a 2.0 no restored with tape which doesn’t matter anyways cgc doesn’t count tape as restoration any more it just lowers the grade and mentions tape in the covers on the cgc label. Then the guy had the tape professionally removed like the service CGC has for removing tape and regraded it a 4.0 then he was fired that’s it that’s all you will find looking up what’s bad about pgx

This is also when a first Robin in that grade was a $400 book not the price it is now.

That’s not the scandal I was talking about, nor is it the only one.

The posts from cgc fanboys on cgc chat are going to change my mind :+1:

They don’t even have pictures to show what they are talking about next…

I don’t need to convince you of anything, but there’s no reason to pretend that PGX doesn’t have a bad reputation in the collecting industry. There is plenty of info in those two threads, and plenty more if you do just a bit of searching.

I’ve searched it all out before I used Pgx the first time it’s really just a stigma the CGC blog made up by sniffing their own farts and their hollier that thou attitudes. CBCS I’ve never seen a mistake or overgraded book The opposite I feel they undergrade compared to CGC. I use CGC for magazines don’t have any other options. I’ll sell a a pgx tt #12 9.8 for the cgc going rate when they get back from the graders maybe I’ll give them a $25 break because it’s PGX

All I’m gonna say about CGC versus CBCS versus PGX is that if I see a book is PGX graded I am immensely less likely to buy it compared to a CGC or CBCS copy if they are priced and graded similarly based on what I’ve heard about PGX, although @Alana has softened my stance somewhat on the company where I am at least willing to look at reasonably priced PGX books. Really reasonably priced.

1 Like

I buy pgx when the price is right but I buy CGC first unless I can save $50-$75 or so on a decent priced key. I have no problem sending to pgx because I’m the one overlooking the books I’m sending to them first. So I know what I’m getting it’s already my book.

I’m amazed you’ve softened my stance on the company as much as you have. Hats-off to you for that.

2 Likes

My main reason for grading is not to sell it’s to make things easier on my kids in the future when they inherit the collection so they don’t just sell the whole box for $10 at a garage sale. I educate them on what makes each comic special and if all the good ones are graded I’m not leaving them some huge chore when they sell.

I will not pay $3-4000 to get 60 books graded and pressed I rather pay $1200 and buy a low grade 1st Thor CGC.

1 Like

Would like to know about your presser that you use when you have a minute. Thanks!