CGC submission questions

That makes sense. I don’t use CGC or CBCS for pressing, but rather a third party that I trust. I only pay $10/book for pressing and the work is top notch.

I would recommend taking a look at CBCS next time you want to submit books - their pricing is much better than CGC’s and their new cases are awesome. Before I submitted books to any company for slabbing I purchased a book that had been slabbed by each (including PGX). Based off of that I went with who I thought had the best slab, which at the time was CGC, but as of now I think the CBCS case has surpassed it.

I really love graded books and the value they add to my collection (both from a true “value” sense, but also just a presentation/display factor.

The sticker shock is always tough though. I know it is simple math, but it always seems the total expense feels absolutely crazy/unexpected once you factor in all the shipping/insurance and such.

I sent in $15 books recently…I went with CGC and a non CGC grader who will submit for me. Basically $500 bucks all said and done. I always do books from the same tier personally.

This time I decided to send in “Two” of a few hot books. I’ll likely hope for both to be 9.8s but regardless will keep the better one and sell the other.
I sent off 2 of:
Star Wars Clone Wars #1
Star Wars Heir to the Empire #1
Invincible Iron Man #9
Spawn #175
Venom #3 (1st print)
5 others I won’t sell

I figure I’ll just sell the doubles to pay for the grading and have some extra money. I don’t usually sell comics, but am ok with selling doubles and also selling graded as I can worry less about people wanting returns for a spine tick, etc.

While I’d love to save up for a key, I’m instead saving up to take my wifey to Hawaii after she gets done with this breast cancer battle.

2 Likes

That’s awesome man. Hopefully you’ll be taking that trip soon!

2 Likes

One of the biggest turnoffs with these grading services are the fugly labels that don’t match the book. My ocd just can’t handle it. Meanwhile we have lesser companies like EGS that give you many label options and you can even fully customize them.

:heart: :+1: :heart: :relaxed:

Memories are a billion times better than material possessions…

4 Likes

I prefer the uniform labels for my slabs as opposed to custom labels for each book. Imo, it gives them a much cleaner look when viewed side by each.

Until you get Alzheimer’s and need to pay a full time nurse to take care of you. :joy:. I kid, I kid. You are spot on, Poyo. Experience over materials, :100:.

1 Like

In the end, if you’re submitting books you know what the grades are and who you trust to grade them accurately.

And, if you’re buying a slabbed book, buy the book, not the slab. Because in the end grading is subjective.

3 Likes

Apparently this book is starting to heat up? Sold a lower grade copy today. Grabbed that 9.6 at the right time!

Why that book is nothing just like the one before it. Boba Fett, Yoda, and Lando all first appear in Marvel Super Special #16 prior to anything in the Star Wars series.

I got two of those as well,

One 9.2 cbcs raw grade…another on its way hoping for a high grade.

Covering all my bases.

It’s Star Wars, so it’s just awesome… Star Wars hater… :wink:

Was it MSS16 or was it the Marvel Special Edition #2?

Can’t seem to find anything online and they both were spring 1980.

Was sweating it my submission package was two days late and missed a scan with full max insurance.

Finally. The time has come…

Did cgc have a massive drop in submissions from the acetate gate scandal? Lol

I think that the people who were doing the complaining were the loud vocal minority. Most people were just too disgusted and stopped their submissions altogether.

1 Like

Slowing economy. People tightening their budgets? If that’s the case, all those new graders they hired will be looking for new jobs sometime in 2023.

1 Like

I think it has more to do with sellers experiencing a slowdown in sales, which in turn has them pausing / slowing down submissions. Trickle down effect.

Or they skip the details in the grading process.

9.8s for everyone!!!

Hi fellas, I’m slowly preparing my first CGC submission ever and I am wondering what is the wiggle room to get 9.8s on modern books, if any. In your experience, would the corner on this HR #7 2nd print bring it down to a 9.6 or worse if there are no other defect on the book? What about the very small ink rub near the staple on the top HR #1 Hans variant (actually there may be a bit also on the lower one)? Any input is appreciated - thanks!