CGC vs CBCS vs PGX vs PSA

I’d happily buy from My Comic Shop (Lone Star Comics) if they started a grading company. Always more than happy with everything they’ve sent me. Excluding decades ago when they shrink wrapped everything & usually to tight.

2 Likes

It’s funny because Steve B. from CBCS went there

1 Like

I totally thought that was why they hired him. But then he left to love back to Florida to be closer to his grandchildren.

Is he working for comic link now?

That’s the last I understood, too.

I didn’t know that. Interesting

Can’t blame him, DFW is a total shit hole… (I lived there for 14 years)… but I definitely wouldn’t trade it with Florida… haha… (no pun towards you DFW and Florida residents, neither places are for me).

So this is something I knew would happen. You don’t get to grade a book as qualified. It’s a bs designation. Well this book is a 9.2, if it wasn’t for those tape pulls. Just another ridiculous thing that’s been normalized by the grading companies. Or CGC, I’m not sure the others give books a qualified grade.

2 Likes

Wow.

Next up “Coverless, Qualified 9.8” :joy:

3 Likes

I have a TMNT #2 (original mirage) that is a qualified 9.8 except it was in a house fire and is singed all around. Basically all books could be qualified if you take out their problems

3 Likes

:100: :100: :100: :100: :100:

1 Like

With the amount of tape pull on that comic it is no way a 9.2 anything.

2 Likes

CGC rules our hobby. It’s part of the reason why I despise them so much.
We (the smart ones) know it’s wrong; and yet “CGC says …” :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Because too many allow themselves to become sheep… We got a lot of sheep in this hobby!

1 Like

Have you guys seen the new cbcs labels? Soooooooo ugly

2 Likes

When I saw all the activity in this thread, I was expecting talk of this.

These are a downgrade from their current labels, IMO. I see Beckett has CBCS now in its same design system, but it’s kind of crazy how many times CBCS has rebranded.

I think they look okay but then again, I also buy the book, not the slab with a label on the inside. :wink:

1 Like

I don’t see the point in highlighting the unique look of the 9.9 or 10.0?
How many folks get those grades? Is that honestly something they consider a selling point?

Not a fan of the new labels…nor their old ones. CGC certainly won’t lose any ground because of these imo.

2 Likes

All I care about is if it’s in “unread” condition, right @agentpoyo ? Looks unread to me in this picture.

Horrible.

Their whole schtik was the label should not take away from the book. But I see they have now joined the Dark side.

I will say at conventions (having just come from one) where there are so many books on a wall at a distance not being able to see what the assigned grade can be annoying if you are short on time and trying to quickly assess what a seller has.

CGC is having a Thanksgiving promotion on reduced membership fees. $99 for the premium membership (normally $149). It ends 11/24, so I’m not sure if that means today is the last day or tomorrow.

This is basically 33% off services, as you get $150 in credit. So I figured this would be a good time to compare services between CGC & CBCS, costs and Turn-Around Times (TATs).

I’m only going to do Modern (1975 and up). No fast track because we’re talking only a few weeks difference between regular and fast track (you can all wait).

Total Grade + Press
CGC Comic = $40 / 35d
CBCS Comic = $39 / 50d
CGC Magazine = $40 / 45d
CBCS Magazine = $55 / 50d

So CGC is faster by about 5 days, and up to 33% cheaper on the first $150.

A further breakdown is provided below.

Comic Grading (Price / TAT)
CGC = $25 / 20d
CBCS = $24 / 30d

Comic Pressing
CGC = $15 / 15d
CBCS = $15 / 20d

Magazine Grading
CGC = $25 / 30d
CBCS = $25 / 30d

Magazine Pressing
CGC = $15 / 15d