CGC vs CBCS vs PGX vs PSA

Thought this was the pickups thread :smile:

1 Like

Damn. And 9.8.

I do have one of the front of the book, but like an idiot I never took one from the back. I think this teaches me a lesson now. Iā€™ll just reach out to Mike on Monday when I get the book back and see what they can do. I donā€™t think they will get me another book, unless they mixed my book up with someone elses.

I was also looking at the scans and there is considerable color rub on the right hand corner. So I am not sure what is going on with this book, and I know what I am sending to them and I always gun for 9.8 subs on what I send in. I have 5 presses, and do all of my own cleaning and pressing.

Iā€™ve got some really big books (well, big books for me anyway), on their way from CGCā€¦

Yaā€™ll shhhhhhhhhā€¦making me nervous :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You know the grades or are you the kind of person who likes to wait and open up the box to see what you got? I know some folks are superstitious like that and want the books to, ā€œCook,ā€ a little longer.

1 Like

I have them submitted via my presser so I have no idea till they show up! I do sort of like the surprise. Iā€™ll share with the group when I get them.

I think Iā€™ve mentioned before, the shipments are always supposed to/say, ā€œsignature requiredā€ and yet Iā€™ve yet to ever sign for a single CGC package (regardless of the cost/value). Always just sitting on my porch. I live out in the country, but stillā€¦kind of crazy on their part.

Iā€™m a ā€œlet it cookā€ guy.

I didnā€™t want to know the sex of my children until birth either.

1sy child was a surprise. The second child a nurse spoiled it.

Hmmmmmmā€¦ Mark Jeweler CGC 9.8s :man_facepalming:

Good job folks.

Has anyone seen this video on a CGC graded restored hulk #181 which was reholdered and received a higher grade and a blue label. Does anyone know if the CGC has a different process for reholdering?

I have a CGC with Blue label instead of Green cuz it has a signature and wasnā€™t witnessed by them. So yeah this happens lolā€¦

We need @Bill 's thoughts on this latest CGC scandal

Heā€™ll just make up an excuse for them. We all now how much @Bill loves CGC!

:stuck_out_tongue:

@davidbitterbaum @SpicyWasabi :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I donā€™t even have words anymore

4 Likes

Someone correct me if Iā€™m missing something as Iā€™m trying to understand how this scam is perpetrated. As I understand it

1. Scammer buys cgc qualified grades of major keys with defects like missing marvel value stamps etc for cheap

2. Scammer then sends the book to cgc for a case reholder

3. Somehow he/she discovers a loophole or realizes cgc graders incompetence that they will miss the defect that gave it a qualified label in the first place and would reissue a universal label.

4. Scammer then sells the new slab for profit.

Thereā€™s a lot to unpack here as we donā€™t know how long this has gone on for and how many cgc slabs out there of major or minor keys are in fact re-holdered and repackaged.

This is an indictment of cgcā€™s poor quality control which we already knew but worst case scenario is someone from inside cgc is complicit with the scam. This is a major story guys.

2 Likes

ā€¦ and to think, my complaints/problems/issues have been mostly grading consistency and delivered product quality related.

Now this.
In another year thereā€™ll be something else big.
And then again in 2 years. etc, etc, etc.

1 Like

Ok thereā€™s a big thread in the cgc forums about it. Thread title is ā€œAsm 252, something fishyā€ or something like that. Goes into a lot more detail about it.

Edit: so it looks like the scammer swapped the green qualified label book into a real blue label case by cracking it open. He then sends the blue label case with the dodgy book inside to get reholdered in a new case. Ok Iā€™m getting it now, sorry Iā€™m slow. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Guys on the cgc boards are finding more books that has been swapped out and replaced into cgc 9.8 reholders with pictures of the exact book in 2 different cases from the same seller. If you have boughten major keys from this same seller you better pull them out and investigate.

Now all major cgc keys are in question as it appears heā€™s been doing it for a long time now. People in the forums are saying that if you know what youā€™re doing with a sonic welder you can actually crack a cgc case and seal it again :grimacing:

What a disaster. Iā€™m reading the thread and as expected I havenā€™t seen any cgc representatives commenting.

3 Likes

This is the sellerā€¦

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ssn=briva3&store_name=comicselects&_oac=1&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

look at all those fakesā€¦that he sold for $$$$$$

1 Like

damnā€¦ those are freakin expensive books.
Looks like his feedback either has been ā€œPrivateā€ or was just made Private

1 Like

He is swapping regular books out for mark jeweler variants as well. Books that have the same label are going from regular newsstand to Mark Jeweler variant newsstands.