CGC vs CBCS vs PGX vs PSA

How are your vagina drawing skills?

1 Like

Are you talking about the label, or the plastic holder?

The holder is pretty robust, and now better than CGC. but the label is ridiculous. For the longest time they were all about not having the label/grade assigned take attention away from the book itself, but some idiot in Beckett upper leadership mustā€™ve gotten feed up with that idea and demanded a label more like CGCā€¦and now its not only distracting from the bookā€¦but unsightly as well. Terrible.

I give it a year before they change course again.

1 Like

Hahaā€¦ those would be way more magical than my dick doodlesā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Yep, you can tell Beckett was pushing for conforming branding across the board in their products. A good idea from a marketing viewpoint, but the new labels are ugly AF. I imagine the CGC office laughed at the unveiling.

Itā€™s a shame because as you said, CBCSā€™ current cases/holders themselves are nice.

2 Likes

They have changed the label so many times. I think I have one of every label at this point.

2 Likes

I think this is the first one the grade has been on a white background and ā€œlarge.ā€

And CBCS knows how to package slabs to reach me safely without damage.
Of course there will be someone, and is always someone with, ā€œyea but my CBCS package came crackedā€.
Of which I will say Iā€™ve been dealing with both for many many years. For CGC my CGC Dashboard is filledā€¦ is litteredā€¦ with ā€œManufacturing Errorā€. (i.e. I called their customer service because of damage to the slabs & had to return - my time; my effort - wasted)
For my CBCS Dashboard, as sucky as their customer service is, Iā€™ve barely ever needed to contact them for damages.
So itā€™s about likelihoods and as mentioned before I have some packaging engineering dealings at my own business. CGCā€™s methodology of shipping is horrible

1 Like

Worst I have to deal with CBCS was a mispelling on a labelā€¦

1 Like

i have a list of books i want to send in but im so reluctant with how everyoneā€™s feedback has been, CGC more than CBCS too

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been like this for the last 3 or 4 years. I think itā€™s actually quite staggering how much potential revenue that CGC has lost because of all these bad press that CGC has been getting over the years.

Several years ago I decided to make an account as I finally decided to dip my toes into grading. At that time I was reading their boards and people were upset with the constant price increases and poor quality of their overall product so I decided to go with CBCS. This was during the pandemic and I was confused about submitting and turnaround times etc as the Canada/US border were closed at that time. Seems to be a lot of confusion at that time. I emailed CBCS and to this day has never gotten a response. I then went on their boards and their members told me to not send it as they have had their books stuck in limbo for a year a more with no responses lol. I said f that and never bothered sending books in.

Then CGC kept raising their prices and the troubles kept coming in like acetegate etc. How they handled the acetategate scandal really left a bad taste in my mouth. This is a company that is completely out to lunch.

With the amount of comics that I buy Iā€™m guessing I wouldā€™ve been sending about 500 to 1000 comics per year to get graded by CGC. Almost all would be for flipping as I really donā€™t give a damn about what CGC thinks is the right grade for my personal books that Iā€™m keeping. And thatā€™s just me, only one customer that hasnā€™t sent in any books to CGC to this date. I know Iā€™m not the only one as I have a LCS here that only sends books in to CBCS as he absolutely despises CGC. He would send in thousands of books per year.

So if anyone thinks that CGC can do anything they want with no ramifications, I believe thatā€™s untrue. The amount of potential revenue they have lost from potential new customers and even current customers who are fed up with them is staggering.

3 Likes

Any business can become Sears. There are usually plenty of warning signs before everything is lost so if a business disregards them and eventually goes under, thatā€™s on them. My advice to CGC is donā€™t be a Sears.

4 Likes

I am so sick of CGC. I am very pissed with CGC, my magazine submission finally went through which they had for 2 months and this book had no issuesā€¦look at this. It looks like they opened the book to read it, creating creases on the squarebound part of the book in the front and back. I am very angry because I would never send in a book with this issue + this was never read.

I send in several hundred books a year and debating if I should reach out to their admin that I talk to every so often and complain, but that probably wonā€™t do jack.

I have a Transformers #1 1:100 that I sent in now twice due to Mechanical errors and this last one they sent me back has all kinds of scuffing on the case. They have had this book now since October with back and forth twice, and now going for a third time.

Not sure what in the hell is going on over at CGC these last few months. They keep blaming everything on the move they had for being so backed up.

2 Likes

Looks like they opened it to look at page quality, thus creating cover creasing. Not a smart tacticā€¦

1 Like

Yup, it looks like they did open it up to check the pages and ruined the book. Iā€™ll complain, but I doubt it does anything.

1 Like

I havenā€™t sent in anything to CGC in almost a year. They have screwed up several books of mine. Sent in perfect copies and received them in a 9.8 holder with color breaking spine tics. This last one, they screwed up about 4 books (out of 25). Sent admin a detailed message with high resolution photos of what was sent in and compared that to what I received. Crickets for a little while and then they respond saying that the book is still a 9.8 (that actually took about 6 months to even get this answer). WTF? I have this escalated to management, but I am not holding out any hope for them to do whatā€™s right. I have closed my account with them and they wonā€™t be getting any more books from me (used to do about 500 per year). ā– ā– ā– ā–  them. Dummies.

3 Likes

I feel for you as they did damaged 4/9. One of them is a CGS SS (2ndary market $1400-1600 @_@ ), so Iā€™m currently waiting for them try to fix the additional spine stress created via re-holder. Fortunately, I took picture in the old case prior before re-holdering, so you can clearly see the defect before the re-holder. I advise everyone going forward, to protect ourselves, please take a picture of your book prior before grading/re-holder especially on high end book. I pray/hope they can fix their mistakeā€¦

1 Like

Ugh, it sounds like you guys have had even worse horror stories than what I am experiencing. That is just terrible on how bad their customer service end has gotten here with handling our books. I hope you guys can get your situations sorted since they are way more serious than mine.

3 Likes

Do you have before photos? Iā€™m taking photos for every submission going forward. I extended my year membership during the the thanksgiving sale but havenā€™t decided what to send in yet.

My first submission to CGC, one of the reps told me to take pictures of the book. I was thrown off by this and then he told me, you never know what can happen. So from that day forward, I have always taken pictures of books I am sending in to get graded.

1 Like

I guess I opened up the flood gates about CGC :wink:

3 Likes