CGC vs CBCS vs PGX vs PSA

I doubt they got a lawyer involved, probably the marketing intern wrote that up and got approved by the manager. Lawyers cost too much money for silly PR statements to try and smooth things out.

I personally donā€™t believe all that much will come out of it when everything is said and done. I know it is the ā€œhot topicā€ currently and Iā€™m certainly not making light of it, but I also think a great deal of the talk and craziness is taking place in an echo chamber.

For every comic fan who pays attention to stuff like this, watches comic videos, reads forums, or who has even ever ventured to the CGC boards, there are likely 10 or more who donā€™t, and can care less.

4 Likes

I feel the same way. CGC doesnā€™t want to invest money into this issue, they want to spend as little as possible. They released their PR damage control to give people the warm fuzzy and hope within a few weeks or months this all blows over and its back to regularly scheduled programming.

5 Likes

Youā€™re not wrong. I see half the people saying this is the end of CGC and big fans of the company talking like this was a test of trust they passed or some B.S.

An ā€œolderā€ CBCS slab is tested out. Seems to hold up better against tampering, but still can be compromised.

I would think given the increased difficulty plus valueā€™s generally being less than cgc makes cbcs slabs less likely to have a systemic problem.

Still remains to be seen how robust the current cbcs slab measures up against tampering.

2 Likes

this has nothing to do with the current cgc scandal, i just thought itā€™d be fun to point out!
browsing golden age offerings in the upcoming mcs auction starting jan 6 i saw this cool pre-code issue which is sadly another example of the incoherent practice of over-grading older comics. this book is as much a 5.5 as iā€™m a candidate for the US olympic team.

by very definition of ā€œUniversal Gradeā€ (i.e. cgc), to grade an older book more leniently is to provide an inaccurate grade, despite it being tolerated by the community. if a 5.5 from 1954 looks like that ā€“ but a 5.5 from 1974 looks like this and a 5.5 from 1984 looks like this ā€“ then the grading system is not universal as the name of the system claims.

why would we want a numerically measured universal grading system to arbitrarily factor in a comicā€™s age using undefined criteria? can we please admit that makes no sense?!

if the best-condition issue of ASM #1 in existence had defects consistent with a 9.2 grade wouldnā€™t it therefore mean that the highest known grade of ASM #1 is 9.2? or that the issue is magically a 9.8 because itā€™s old/rare? to conclude the latter is to invalidate a universal grading system.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve made the same complaint in my head and probably elsewhere and have always gotten the ā€œyea butā€, ā€œyea butā€ ā€œyea butā€ ā€œyea butā€ answers.

I couldnā€™t agree more with you.

But if I were to get started on them again, thereā€™s not enough words allowed in this little window for me to type and itā€™d be really really not nice. And I want to be much nicer to CGC and the pyramid scam of grading in 2024. CGC does deserve a little bit of understanding and empathy after all theyā€™ve been through and did I mention how I despise their very existence (hand slap to my face) ā€¦ woopsā€¦ there I go againā€¦ 2024 here I come!
:roll_eyes: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

1 Like

It doesnā€™t make any sense. And itā€™s just another example do ā€œbuy the book, not the grade.ā€

Especially for the PC. If I want a Spider-Man 129 and I can afford what a 5.0 sells for, you better believe Iā€™m looking really hard at the 3s and 4s that look just as good as any 4.5/5.0. Iā€™ll definitely prefer a 4.0 with white pages over a 5.0 off-white, as an example.

1 Like

Thats why they changed slabs a few years back. Atleast cbcs recognized there could be an issue. Cgc wont do :poop:

2 Likes

If this wasnā€™t so interesting this guy would put me to sleep with his quiet voiceā€¦

2 Likes

Something Iā€™ve been complaining about for years. All books need to be graded the same. You canā€™t grade an old book differently just because itā€™s old.

3 Likes

But then CGC would get a far smaller FMV % on higher grade books.

Still think that is absolute nonsense that they take a % of a book based on a fair market value. The only additional monetary value should be insurance.

4 Likes

Baking the CGC cases has made me very hungry

1 Like

Can somebody please create a new grading company that uses AI-based grading? AI ought to be the future of impartial, 3rd party grading. most comics would simply require a high resolution image of the front and back covers to be fed to an AI thatā€™s been trained to quickly and accurately detect defects like color breaking creases, folds, chipping, missing pieces, stains, spine ticks, miswrap, fading, etc, then evaluate the size, thickness, length, depth, etc of the defects and come up with a score based on how the AI was programmed to weight the defects and their severity.

1 Like

I would worry with color bad lighting could effect page quality

Mike does know paperā€¦

3 Likes

How about the Vegas grading company. Place your bet, pick the grade you want on the grading roulette wheel and take a spin!

2 Likes

iā€™m not understanding what you mean here. do you mind rephrasing or elaborating a bit?

1 Like

Yeah. A book in a not so well lit area may look cream to off white whereas the pages are actually white. But under high fluorescent light, cream to off white could end up looking white

1 Like