CGC vs CBCS vs PGX vs PSA

I have the direct email for Collette the Manager of PGX never had any problem they didn’t fix immediately even paid return shipping to fix a couple cracked slabs.

Classic Buying the slab/label, not the book…

🤦 :woman_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

pulled the trigger and bought ultimate fallout 4 1st print last night.
cbcs 9.6 for a Buy it Now price of $1132 so i’m pretty stoked.

i chose cbcs for a reason. cgc still commands more $ but i’m confident that will not last as more people like myself stop trusting the quality/consistency of their grading, especially books which have been graded in the last two years. most cgc UF4’s on ebay were recently slabbed and because of that i did not consider buying any of them. the earliest UF4 cgc 9.6 i saw was slabbed in 2018 and even that one appeared to have a fat color-break on the spine.

my point: cgc currently is the gold standard for value but that will erode in time, as it will become more and more obvious to the community that their grades are not reliable, and the market will respond. i chose the UF4 with a cbcs 9.6 label not because i think it’ll get a greater return than cgc within the next few years, but because i’m confident that 9.6 is the accurate grade.

3 Likes

Has anyone had actual experience with EGS slabs?

Idc what anyone says and I think most will agree but CGC has serious grading & quality control issues. This is one of the old slabs so they’ve been over grading since the beginning. A 9.8 book shouldn’t have 8 color breaking spine tics. I seriously wish I’d run into whoever runs the place and show them the dozen or so books I have that are severely overgraded. If your buying a CGC book make sure you look it over carefully because the grade assigned is most times to high.

1 Like

Only experience I have is seeing a few on eBay that have never sold. I think their labels are hideous.

2 Likes

I wish my books would get over graded, lol. I seem to get accurate graded or even WTF grades. I am really really really picky when sending in moderns, so some stuff that that may give a 9.8 I screen out. It’s all a crap shoot with grading everything from loose action figure to comics. Wanna talk about grades all over the place? Look no further than AFA loose figure grading.

Once the comic world shifts from CGC, I’ll start sending in more books to the new standard. Heck, I’m still waiting for customer service to get back to over the Last Ronin issue.

3 Likes

These aren’t books I’m submitting myself but buying off of eBay. I’ve only submitted one book to CBCS and was completely satisfied.

2 Likes

So I sent a message to the seller along with pics of the color breaking spine tics. I then opened a return. Seller responded that it’s a graded book and it was as described. I explained that I buy the book not the slab. The damage wasn’t pictured or disclosed whatsoever. So I think it’s pretty straightforward that it’s an item not as described because it wasn’t disclosed.

Not a great week with my purchases as my brand new telescope wasn’t brand new but used as the primary mirror was filthy. So Amazon sold me someone’s return. Luckily Celestron is going to either clean it or replace it under warranty. Thank goodness because I didn’t want to have to return the entire setup. They’re letting me just send in the tube.

I once, not long ago, had a buyer send a CGC book back to me because it “had oil in the case”.
I did not exchange emails and immediately gave him a return authorization.

He ended up blocking me later :man_shrugging:

To this day it bothers me

1 Like

Not to sound like a conspiracy theory type, but I’ve started to believe that “who” submits the books makes a difference.
There are a number of dealers, pressers, and certainly auction houses that really appear to do very well when it comes to grading and turn around times. I get it…money makes the world go round, but I personally have had what I perceived as better success when submitting via some big players versus on my own. These companies know who to cater to.

By the way…have you seen the books and grades on some of that Promise collection? Awful lot of leeway on some of those imo.

3 Likes

Anytime big money is being tossed around, there are things going on that I’m sure none of us want to think about or believe is true; but could very well be true.

I will just continue riding this pyramid scheme until it is no longer profitable.

3 Likes

Gave up on sending in anything at this point.

1 Like

Not slabbing is like switching to Geico… “You can save a lot by not slabbing your comics!”

By not slabbing comics:
Saves you money :white_check_mark:
Saves you time :white_check_mark:
Saves you headaches when things go wrong :white_check_mark:
You can still smell your comics :white_check_mark:
You can still touch and feel your comics :white_check_mark:
Can read them in the bathroom :white_check_mark:
You can grade them yourself and know the grade is right :white_check_mark:

this list goes on and on… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Books can be damaged inside the slab too if not handled properly. And they can be damaged during encapsulation (GSXM #1).

1 Like

I’ve sent slabs back to CGC recently because the inner sleeve had scratches all over it…and these
We’re books I was going to sell so I didn’t want them returns to me with someone telling me the book was damaged and not the grade stated.

2 Likes

My Star Wars Kanaan #6’a and America #1 (1:25 variant) would tell you different.

all came back 9.8s and I paid less than $100 each after purchase, press, grading and shipping. They
Easily sell for north of $500.

Bottom line, if you can grade fairly well and know the market there is plenty of money to be made. But it’s pick and choose.

3 Likes

My statements above do not apply if you’re slabbing to sell at inflated prices where people buy the slab and not the books… :wink:

1 Like

So you’re saying if they’re for your PC…(or BR).

Then the only “real” benefit is not having to argue with insurance of the condition/value in the event of a loss. That’s pretty much why have my PC books encapsulated.

1 Like

Most home coverage just has a policy limit of collectibles, etc. This only applies if you’re buying insurance on them individually I would imagine. I’d check your policy though as a quick google search if home owner insurance covers collectibles brought this up:

" Homeowners insurance usually either does not cover collectibles or imposes a low limit on the coverage. If you have valuable collections, it is generally wise to arrange for separate coverage of them."

Which sounds feasible… you got a 10k comic but your default home owner insurance might only cover up to 5k total… so you’ll be super sad when someone steals yo shit and that slab grade doesn’t even matter! :wink: