CGC vs CBCS vs PGX vs PSA

Another search someone asked the following:

Is my $20000 baseball card collection covered by my homeowners policy if it is stolen?

Homeowners insurance is designed to protect you from the loss of personal property. In theory, that should include your sports collectibles. In reality, things are not so simple. Unless your collectibles have been specifically scheduled, your insurance company may refuse to reimburse you for them .

1 Like

So with that said, if all my books are raw, I can still get them insured because I can pay for the coverage of my own perceived grade more than likely or at least of what I paid for them so I donā€™t lose money!

2 Likes

Nothing but 9.9 to 10 is what I have in my collection.

All mine are perfect 12.0ā€™sā€¦

2 Likes

New and unread is the only grade you need.

5 Likes

CBCS will continue to lead the industry in innovative and new ideas. On this note you can expect a lot of exciting news coming your way. Including our introduction of Magazine grading and slabbing starting April 2022.

Whoo hooo!

2 Likes

Uh oh for CGC!

Sweet. I have a ton of mags I would like them to grade.

1 Like

Star Wars Insider 199 High Republic cover would be a nice modern to grade.

I have a TMNT 1 3rd print Iā€™m consideringā€¦but @agentpoyo says Iā€™m wasting my moneyā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s best to store your Tmnt #1 next to a open window with lots of sun.

Old TMNT smell the best. Keep it raw so you can take it out every once in a while just to sniff ā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m going to start a certification company that only distinguishes if a comic has been in the toilet or not. Certified ā€œfreshā€ would mean no traces of feces of urine could be found. I have a good friend that works CSI DNA testing. I will have to get some advice. 9.8 or not would you want it if you knew someone was reading it while taking their morning constitutional?

1 Like

Cases just need to be robust. They donā€™t need to be air tight.

Should be able to incorporate a feature in them that can push some air through the slab and out a vent where you can smell the book.

1 Like

So I have been thinking about using PGX to slab some of my more valuable comics, not necessarily to get a specific grade, but to increase the protection durability and make sure my family knows which ones to not give away for free when I am not around. I think Alana has used them extensively, but has anyone else used them just to protect comics in their PC?

Keep in mind that I prefer them to be floppy, and have considered Comic Skins too, but I think I do want them cleaned and pressed before placed in their eternal restā€¦some of them need it!

1 Like

Time for CGC to step up to the plateā€¦

2 Likes

Just received the CBCS email with that and noticed it also states price increases to be implemented on April 4th. It will be interesting to see what these costs will be and where they will now fall in comparison to CGC. Not a complaint, it is to be expected. Definitely happy to see them making the tiers/submission categories a bit easier to navigate.

CGC definitely better step it up like Monopolyjackson stated. Iā€™ve seen quite a few, pretty big players/submitters of books switch over to CBCS in the last couple of months.

3 Likes

Magazine slabs that wonā€™t take 1 year+ to get backā€¦ :thinking:

Real trouble for CGC would be if market prices for CBCS slabs go on par with theirs.

Gasp!

Which is the actual problem. If people bought the book instead of the ā€œslabā€, weā€™d have a healthier market when it comes to slabbed books on the secondary market.

4 Likes

If we called CBCS ā€œthe next Miles Morales of gradingā€ problem solvedā€¦ Also add VHTF :rofl:

4 Likes

I like this.

I want to send in my Next Miles black panther 3 just so I can say ā€œLook at my next miles in a next miles slab!ā€

2 Likes