CGC vs CBCS vs PGX

Also they let me express grade at PGX for an extra $5 a book which I actually use sometimes, doing that with Moderns elsewhere people paying upwards $100 a book for grading with express turnaround.

This is no longer the “case.”

CBCS upgraded their case design to match the robustness of CGC. This was several months ago. All new submissions and reholders get the new case.

In fact, CBCS cases are now considered superior as they are clearer and they do not have the “Newton Ring” defect that most CGC cases have.

So if the comic is for the PC, I’d highly recommend CBCS. But if getting pressed go with an outside presser, although right now they have a promotion for 20% off pressing fees and guaranteed 12 week turn around time.

Stepping up their game, CBCS is.

I’ve noticed the crooked PGX slabs at my lcs. I hope PGX fixes that.

Must send in 5 books by Halloween.

They know their case was more attractive than the others…but Now that CBCS has demonstrated Newton rings are not necessary in a case design…the pressure will be on CGC to address it. I think CBCS is in a good position to start making gains…unfortunately Covid set pack their TATs a bit just when they had caught back up on their backlog.

Below are pics of the new CBCS slabs I posted a few weeks ago.

From the few that I have and the many that I have seen I actually think PGX grades well…Their past reputation hurts them though. CBCS is tougher with their grades but probably the most accurate especially in high grades. A 9.8 CBCS is far more likely to be an actual 9.8. CGC and PGX do over-grade 9.8 and 9.6 books on occasion. They do get it right many times though…I just think those two are more likely to over-grade than CBCS.

CGC is the gold standard. If you are going to sell right away go with CGC. You will more often than not get a higher return on your investment. CBCS and PGX will also offer you good returns if you bought your investment book low enough. If you sent the same books to each service and got the same grade nine times out of ten you will make more money with CGC.

If you are a stickler with grading and want your books graded precisely, go with CBCS. Their signature authentication is also an awesome option for all those old school, page one Stan Lee autographs out there…

If you just want your books certified and don’t care about maximizing a return because you will never sell…Go with PGX. I think their past is in the past. I’m not sure they will ever fully recover from some of the shenanigans when they first started out but I haven’t heard anything bad in a while. Price and turn around is good with them.

With this CBCS promotion I may have to send all my venoms in to cbcs versus CGC as some I wanted for the PC.

I should also reholder some higher end books like ultimate fallout 4, ASM 300 & Transformers #1 (Newsstand) that I have in CBCS slabs…Also PC books.

Certified, official CGC witnessed fire damage…$15 extra with an estimated 11 week turn around time. Golden age smoke scent extra.

@D-Rog Thank you for that information. I may just try some with CBCS then again. Do you think that 12 week TAT means for the just the pressing part (and then another significant amount of time at the actual grading?)

But again, thanks for the coupon/information!

I think it’s pressing, as grading TATs are all different by tier and have their own fast pass. But I think grading tats are comparable to CGC. Will get back to you on that.

1 Like

Does anyone have a sense of the market share breakdown of the 3 grading companies?

Do you think CGC has at least 60% of the market?

I have NO scientific data, but based on what I see on eBay and used to see at cons, I think it’s higher. Like 80% or more. Would be interesting to know!

Every time the slabbing conversation comes up, I start whining about “to slab or not to slab”, and my wife just shakes her head and laughs. Also, every time we have this conversation in the forum, people start questioning the grading, regardless of company, stating that “this is wrong” or “that grade would never come from xyz company”. Why even bother? Just keep 'em floppy!

I am becoming more a fan of getting my books pressed and using Comic Skins to offer that sound protection so my babies do not get injured, and I can take them out whenever I want. I think I would only slab a book to add the same protection of the case to it to prevent irreparable damage, not to keep it at a certain opinionated grade.

1 Like

I recommend these grade your own make your own labels without paying for art. At about $8 per book

A little model glue your can seal it too

if your books have Newton Rings all you have to do is contact CGC and they will absolutely take care of it for free. Whether they were books you submitted or bought from another they will take care of it. So I don’t understand all this rage at CGC. The newton rings have to be noticeable and not something that has to be searched for.

I myself only have 3 boxes of graded books almost all cgc and have had no issues with newton rings. My only issue were two books I bought of eBay had debris inside the cases. I emailed them and they re-slabbed them for free. I didn’t pay anything including shipping either way.

What kind of debris? I was going to purchase a copy of Dime Press (very early Hellboy appearance) and noticed a hair that was running from inside the old inner sealed chamber out though the case. It was kind of funny actually but I passed. It was half sealed in and half sticking out.

A piece of fuzz or lint inside one and the other had a 6 inch piece of plastic. The plastic appeared to be what looked like the plastic they use to attach tags to clothes. I don’t think that’s what it was but it’s what it appeared to be.

Someone here told me they don’t consider newton rings a defect and you have to pay for reslabbing