CBCS Pickups

It’s really their pressing that’s the issue. I believe TATs took a hit like everyone else for grading due to COVID, but the absence of a convention season they got back in track.

I believe they have one guy…maybe two…doing all the pressing. And he’s in Florida which means all books for pressing get shipped to FL and back from Texas. They’re not just going to hire people off the street to do that job.

And here they are…how’d I do?

First, my Transformers for the PC. I bought all of these off eBay, many from the same two sellers.

The newsstands have a date stamp too on the back cover, which I thought would but these in the 9.6 or less range. I thought some 9.8s were possible, but to go 9 for 9…I’m beside myself. Never got a 9.8 from CBCS before, which is also part of my surprise.

Now here’s the one I was hoping would come back 9.8…May have to list this when the next Spider-verse movie comes out…

And the one disappointment…

I was thinking 8.5 at worst…9.2 at best. I had all these pressed, but this one still has a spine roll…or just mis-cut. So I need to check the graders notes but this one presents so much better than 7.5s it isn’t funny aside from the mis-cut which isn’t supposed to be a hit to the grade…likely will send this into CGC for a second opinion.

4 Likes

You got quite the 9.8 streak on those TF books. Nice job, Drog. Great looking submission. :eyes:

Love seeing these! Great stuff!

With that ridiculous turnaround time, pandemic or not, I’m glad you got so many 9.8s.

1 Like

image image

Some Picks of the New CBCS case. Nice heavy material like CGC. Gone is the lack of a seal along the edges (now sealed) and those unsightly “tabs” along the top.

It’s like they converted to the CGC slabs but solved the newton ring problem!! (@Alana).

Nine-month turnaround? Dang!

I want to say 6 of that was pressing…another month or two was COVID.

Despite the 9.8s I think I’ll go with an outside presser next shipment…which I need to get moving as it’s going to have a fair amount of Venom/Knull books.

Ah, when you add pressing with CBCS or CGC that does really increase time. I recall my,“Dang.”

Off to grading.

So @agentpoyo, I know you’re a big “sell it raw, take the money now” guy. But I don’t see how this can go wrong for me.

Kanan #6 is broaching $200 raw now, and $450-$500 in 9.8.

My two copies are min 9.6, which seems to be around $300.

And these prices are with the character not hitting the live screen yet. So I just don’t think raw is the way to go with these.

Press & grade + shipping is $40 ea. I paid $30 each to acquire.

Assuming they come back 9.6/9.8 I’ll sell through MCS or something. Not chancing it with EBay and scammers.

1 Like

Other books sent off to grading. Not 9.8s, but with a press we’ll see how they turn out.

Also sending in (going for 9.8s w/o pressing)
-Darth Vader #3
-ASM 55 (Gleason)
-Ultimate FF 22

2 Likes

Just back from CBCS. All were pressed.

First up ate my Knull/Dylan spec books. Whoops! Glad I didn’t go heavy on these. I have another issue 3 and some issue 6 regular cover As…

I had a good feeling these were 9.8s, but with the white covers it just takes a little color rub.

My estimate was 9.8’as I saw no flaws. I have a 9.6 CGC, so this is an upgrade for issue #9. I had a good feeling so took a chance.

I knew this was likely a 9.6, but figured I’d roll the dice and see if I could replace my 9.8 CBCS direct. So this was expected. What I really like about this book is that it has a date stamp in the back cover as to when it went on sale. I just think that’s a cool unique feature for this book. Love the Dinobots, so likely will keep both 9.8 and 9.6.

Issue 12 I figured was anywhere from a 9.4 to a 9.8. So 9.6 is expected and I’m happy. Issue 12 completes my run of 1-24 in 9.6 or higher grade. The off-white pages was also expected.

TF #15 was my only disappointment. I was so sure this was a 9.8. Not a single blemish I could see. Black cover too is tough to find in NM. But you see the check Mark…that means it presents better than the assigned grade.

Looking at the graders notes there is a slight “bend” along the back cover. That’s it. I studied this book ad nauseum and never saw this…took me about 10 minutes and just the right angle to see the bend.

But what’s gets me is that this book was supposed to be pressed…and the bend is not color breaking and barely visible. So going to look into what happened here. Is it a manufacturing defect that a press cannot fix? Did they screen it and decide a press wouldnt help but missed the bend?

I have a 9.6 newsstand so this book may be one i send in to CGC some day if CBCS didn’t make a mistake.

Who doesn’t like a 9.8 CPV? I was expecting 9.4 with a shot at 9.6. I also have Thor 338 9.4 CPV…and a file copy of 337 9.4.

This book we all know. I bought this off the stand not and shortly after quit comics for a few years…I didn’t know at the time this book was hot. And even when I got back into comics I didn’t even know I had it until I found it shoved in a golden age bag with no board with several other jock covers.

I have avoided getting it graded because it had some scratches on the back cover and a few tiny spine ticks. So I knew it was likely a 9.2. But finally bit the bullet. Still good to know I have some grading skills.

Here she is…miss America Chavez.

This book I saw in a shop in Maine Last summer passed on it because I was in a hurry. The next day I realized what I left behind. Called them up and had them ship it to me. $25.

And when it arrived I’m like “damn…this is a 9.8.”

And so it was no surprise. The only thing now is when to sell it? This could be a $1000 book if she’s a hit with the fans in Dr. Strange…could she get her own movie or series?

So overall very happy with the results.

4 Likes

Next submission may be A bunch of LCSD SIKTC foils. One signed by tynion…may go for the yellow label from CBCS for the PC.

1 Like

Gratz! Love seeing your haul.
Man, I understand that a person doesn’t “have to” get books graded, but they are just so darned appealing.
It’s so exciting getting them back!
Great choices! I agree on the America Chavez hold.
It’s going to be tough to not sell off when we get the 1st official view of her in a trailer eventually, but I can’t imagine she will be a flash in the pan type role.
Love those Transformers too! Fun memories.

awesome haul, fun looking at all those great books.

Is $40 for a cbcs 9.6 Batman Beyond 37 a worth it? I know in a cgc it would be underpriced.

I don’t know if I’m understanding the question. Why would a comic be worth more or less just because of the plastic case around it? CBCS is on par with CGC (if not better/more consistent) in terms of grading and the numbering system they use. you need to decide why you’re buying it.

I will say That issue was notorious for having spine damage. All black cover shows everything. So you’ll be hard pressed to find a 9.8’in the wild.

As for a 9.6…well the Book costs $4 cover price…a Press is $10. Grade/encapsulation is $20. Thats $34 right there and we haven’t even dipped into shipping it back and forth to CBCS or that you’ll likely pay more than $4 cover in the wild.

Given CBCS can be slightly more stringent than CGC, there’s a slight chance you could crack it out and get a 9.8 if you regrade it with CGC.

All in all sounds like a fair price. You’re basically paying a few dollars over cover plusnthe grading fees for a nice book.

2 Likes

CGC holds the market share which in turn makes their slabs more sought after and valuable. So yeah the plastic case around it does add value to the books total worth.

Whether the book is worth it or not is up to you, it’s a cool cover.

4 Likes

Yeah. I think I will pick it up if it’s still there next time. Thank you

That right there is everything wrong with the “slab” market in my opinion. That’s people buying the slab and the label slapped on it rather than buying the book itself.

Why does CGC command more when they have just as many or more issues (accuracy in grades, slab issues, damages, etc) than the other grading services out there? We should start to make people think about what they’re buying instead of just buying the label on a slab by a particular brand (the grading company in this instance)…

3 Likes