CGC vs CBCS vs PGX

I’m referring to where you can send in books to CBCS that have a signature on them that they never witnessed and will verify it. Which is something that CGC doesn’t currently do and they give it the dreaded green label.

Was it a ASM #194, #252, or #300, if it was, it might of been swapped out ;D Pay attention to your book… Who know what other shady event occurs at CGC …

1 Like

So once again CGC is just completely clueless as to how they are ruining their brand.

They announce 9.9 pre screen and previously those grades were incredibly difficult to obtain. Now they are becoming abundant.

These were shared on Liefeld’s instagram story. Keep in mind someone bought one of his METAL COVER Last Blood comics and it got a 9.8 from CGC.

All those thousands of 9.8 Ultimate Fallout 4s and not a single one is 9.9+ (unless you pay to send it in to get graded again, and since they would be over $1,000 value they charge more ).

6 Likes

definitely fishy

4 Likes

:clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :rage: :rage: :rage: :zipper_mouth_face: :zipper_mouth_face: :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Absolute clown show. 9.8s won’t have the prestige it once had and will be seeing prices drop further. Expect to see more 9.8s with color breaking tics in the future.

3 Likes

Blank covers are a little easier to get that grade cuz there is no color on the pages. All they need to do is grade the edges. I wanna see a regular cover get that grade…

On a quiet Sunday morning, a little chilly out, but calm & sunny day; my musing is if there is an alternate Bizarro World out there in the universe in which this utter Emmet Kelly company does not have some type of month on month on month shenanigans?

1 Like

Metal covers tend to have better odds for 9.9, but this many plus a 10 is a little sus. Is this going to become a new norm? Are they trying to butter up Rob and keep him happy so he keeps doing Signature Series events?

I don’t think it’s buttering up anyone, it’s just CGC showing evidence of moving the goalposts.

3 Likes

Is not only about moving the goalpost, when they grade a book a 9.9 or 10.0 they can now take a higher percentage of the book’s higher fmv value. They’re now making more money off your books when it was once a 9.8.

In the past a 9.8 were so rare sellers can charge a huge premium because there were so few in the census. A 9.8 book that goes for say $1000, in a 9.9 could fetch maybe 10k or more depending on how many 9.9s or 10.0s is there in the census. Now cgc takes a bigger cut from the fees. They now somehow figured that if they give out higher grades they will take a bigger cut on top of people sending in books for this 9.9 prescreen scam. Yes it is a scam. It’s essentially the same book as before in a 9.8 when they never gave out 9.9s and 10.0s (Ultimate Fallout 4)

Just more evidence that their business isn’t doing as strong as it used to.

2 Likes

9.9s and 10.0s are so rare to begin with, I’m not sure how they even establish a fmv to charge a percentage off of…that seems like a class action lawsuit in the making if they just start “making up” values for books without sales of the exact book in a 9.9/10.0 to establish a FMV.

3 Likes

“9.9s and 10.0s are so rare to begin with”

Not anymore

2 Likes

In all seriousness, if I had any 9.9s that I didn’t plan to keep for my own personal collection now would be the time to unload them. Prices could tank once the flood of 9.9s hit the market.

I have been waiting to purchase a spiderman 252 cgc 9.6 newsstand and it has a dropped from $500 to a low of $390 over the past month, do you think it will drop some more? I am noticing CGC slabs dropping recently.

They sure are still dropping.

The other odd thing I’ve been noticing is that raw books in their “perceived” grade are going for more money than the already graded book that the raw comic is perceived to be with a clean and press.

The other day I saw 3 copper “warehouse books in NM” get sold at auction for literally the exact same price of 3 of the same comics in a CGC 9.6. The listing had 1 picture from a distance and only the front covers of the books. Seems like a huge gamble; expecting 1 of the 3 to hit 9.8 and the other 2 to be 9.6 to be profitable.
It seems everyone these days is after candidate raw books and hoping they can do their pressing and cleaning magic to make it better; to the point of actually choosing the pressing/cleaning work & the grading work (and the costs) over an equivalent graded.

Not sure what it all means

4 Likes

Since you are talking about people pressing books and hopes for a 9.8 I was wondering what everyones best result was from purchasing on ebay and pressing and grading.

my best pressing result was buying a raw batman adventures 12 and pressing it to a 9.8. and i also purchased a x-men giant #1 and pressed to a 9.6.

3 Likes

For me recently, probably my Genus #2 (1st “anthropomorphic” Strangers in Paradise).

It seemed nice from pictures, but who ever really knows.
Came back 9.8 which is the only 9.8 Universal on the census; and for a scarce book, I was quite shocked.

A New Gods 1 that I bought from a tag sale for $5; had cleaned and pressed for a 9.8 was another in recent memory.

I’ll also state I don’t believe that either is a 9.8, but if CGC says they are, then they are :zipper_mouth_face: :rofl:

5 Likes

Look for listings with best offers. If you come across a 9.6 priced close to where you want it and you are able to send them an offer you might be able to get a half way decent deal…as long as you don’t low ball too much.

2 Likes

Evidence?