CGC vs CBCS vs PGX

To me those are both the same. If they’re looking g at the comic during reholder it to verify it’s still meets the grade assigned, that’s regrading.

But I don’t think the reholder in people are actually trained to grade…but only to look for gross and obvious problems like missing MVS or no jeweler inserts. This particular example was that the Slab ID triggered a flag where they already knew it was graded by someone who was disqualified. So their procedure was likely to send it back through grading again.

1 Like

I’m surprised there hasn’t been a video where someone sends in a stack of moderns with one book having a page cut out and one where there is a big hole the middle of a page. Who really thinks cgc is looking through the inside of all of these moderns after they put out that power rangers books video on youtube.

3 Likes

The other thing bothering me is there are supposed to be three sets of eyes examining each book at CBCS.

So that means three people did not look at this book, or there were three incompetent graders.

Or…”inspected” is not synonymous with “graded”.

CBCS grading and authenticity standards are fundamental to its concept of third-party grading. CBCS guarantees all comics submitted to it shall be graded in accordance with its stringent grading standards and procedures.

Seems like they guarantee nothing once ownership of the books changes hands.

2 Likes

Saw a video about KingKon (a local convention).
The seller made a statement that very few inquiries about slabs across the board for all dealers in attendance. Then he said slabs are “depressed” with sales and that the knumbskulls overpaying for slabs are gone from the hobby.

I believe this.

What is also true is that these 2 companies have drama and ineptness every single damn month now. Do I need that in my life? No I do not. The whole selling point of 3rd party is “trust” and “no drama” and yet all we get is drama and trust like i trust a snake.
I can get screwed over with raw books but at least it’s my fault and can blame myself.
These 2 companies are making it real real real hard to stay with them … either of them.

3 Likes

If you go on eBay and click on the sold auctions of slabs, you’ll see them sold for 20-40 dollars. It’s essentially case cost or less. This has been going on for a while. In the beginning I thought people were novice listers and were making a mistake by listing non hot (top 10 of the week) slabbed books at auctions. But now I’m thinking they just want to get rid of their cheap slabs because they’re not getting the price that they thought they would. It’s been sitting in their inventory and they can’t get rid of them.

2 Likes

i once submitted a book for my pc which i knew had a large piece missing from a page and cgc graded it 9.6

i also bought a bronze-age ASM slab graded 9.4 by PGX for a low price and when i cracked it to resubmit to cbcs i discovered there was an entire page missing. i still use pgx for modern books for the pc but would never invest in a pricey book graded by pgx.

3 Likes

First time i ever got grader notes for a 9.8 book. So if if didnt have a the below crease would it have been a 9.9?

Comic Description:
Invincible 19 11/04 Image Comics

Grader Notes:
very small, light crease top of back cover

2 Likes

Glad to see not everyone at CGC is XXXX. At least one grader is doing something right. I gotta applaud them for it. Now we just need every grader to do this. For myself, I do this with my raw (I actually measure the stress line)… No wonder I have no time in my life to do anything else important…(Need to take this mindset into another venture…)

Page Quality: White
Condition: NM- (9.2-9.4)
Front CVR:
1 x (1/8) SLIGHT STRESS LINE (COLOR-BREAK) by top staples.
3 x (1/16) Spine Stress near in the middle spine of book. (PRESSABLE)
1 x (1/4) Printer vein on the 1st row near 3rd cell of the 3 x 3 frame.
Back CVR:
1 x (1/12) Spine Stress (BREAK-FIBER) near in the middle spine of book.
3 x (1/16) LIGHT Spine Stress near in the middle spine of book. (PRESSABLE)
SPINE: Slight wear.

Only if CGC can provide the notes like I do. I guess it would be too much for them to do, cause they would need to OPEN up the book and examine each page and do what I did for just the covers. Then again, I’m paying them $25 Grading fee minimum to look at the cover for < 20 sec. Don’t know what to say.

4 Likes

Props on distinguishing between regular creasing and breaks in paper fiber.

In theory they are only supposed to list the defects that play most into the grade assigned.

So the answer is “maybe.” There could be another defect that could hold you back from a 9.9 but they listed just the one that was a clear “no-go”.

Just more evidence business is slow at CGC if they are now providing graders notes for 9.8s. There was a time they were not providing the for 9.6s.

2 Likes

They’re dangling shiny notes in front of your eyes hoping you resubmit. I predict we’ll see more notes on 9.8s. don’t take the bait lol.

9 Likes

That could very well be true.

All regular submittals now max out at 9.8. But look how close you are…a press by our great partner CCS and a 9.9 prescreen and you may be eligible for an upgrade!

2 Likes

IF any of these companies did what I did with my own book. Honestly, it would be difficult for any one of these con-men to do bait and switch because all of the defect would be listed (and sometimes I take pictures of these defect and save them in my HD). This concept of taking pride in one’s work seem like foreign concept for these companies. Maybe I should open my own grading company that would cap on number of book it can grade and is willing to grade book that meet a minimum value. Otherwise, just sell comic encapsulation as a secondary service.

2 Likes

Last year, I had a submission of 10 books for Re-Holdering, and 4 have issue, 3 of 4 book were actual damaged in the process. For me, it their QA that scares me…Fortunately for me, I had practice of taking picture of all my books / even slabs, and I can provide before and after. Yet it was a horrible experience cause it took 4 month plus to have some kind of closure. To this date, some of the defect couldn’t /wouldn’t pressed out. For now, I’m done with submission and reholder ( I pray, I’ll only reholder if its a crack case now…). Someone brought up TAG (grading company) hopefully it takes off, it looks legit and possibly harsh grader lol. With the recent events and years of submission, I honestly feel like they are not inline with my expectation and standard when it comes overall product quality and transparency.

Walmart is big and likes making money, they should start their own collectible grading sub-company.

1 Like

I am looking through the batch of CGC comics I got back and find it incredibly difficult to see the cover bends and small creases in the grader notes through the slab. Even the 7.0 look solid looking from the slab.

1 Like
2 Likes

Although I’m happy for the customer for the fair resolution, is anyone else saddened that he had to resort to asking for help from a content creator to have his problem rectified? CBCS would’ve looked a lot better if they just admitted it was their fault in the first place and compensated the customer. The solution they came up with in the first place was absolutely unacceptable (a “free press” and dropping the grade to a 9.8), they never considered how that would make them feel it they were in the customers place. Especially when the customer sent in his slab in good faith wanting the new CBCS label, should be reasonable that they should stand by their grade and not blame it on a bad grader.

I don’t understand why big businesses are run like this, they never considered the future business they would lose from this customer or how it would make them look when he tells his friends. It took a YouTube video to the world for them to panic and get their act together.

Now why the customer would send in a 9.9 slab to get reholdered in the first place is a separate matter. He should know that getting a 9.9 is the equivalent of graders throwing darts on a board and landing on your grade. Not too bright.

/Old man rant

5 Likes

Old man rant; but a :100: accurate and appropriate rant

2 Likes